Suspension Setup Sag/Travel

mark22

Likes Dirt
I am now the owner of an X2 :rolleyes:

Recommended Ibis setting felt ok'ish, the recommended fox settings have made the bike feel like a damp squib.

Now on settings 3 after tonights ride.

Any help would be much appreciated. Looking good small bump with decent mid range support.

View attachment 398327
Looks like we run the same air pressure but your HSR is low to my 15 and the HSC is low to my 17 and LSC is low to my 17.

It was all bit to grey to me so I hired a shockwiz for a weekend and the recommendations were an improvement, not dramatic I think the most setting I tweaked was 3 clicks.
It no doubt depends on the bike mine is Capra 165mm travel.
I get pretty much full travel on big hits/fuckups..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I wasnt getting full travel with the 3 volume reducers at 70psi which was way below my weight at 84ish, the HSC will hold me higher in stroke ?

More LSC will give me small bump.

Cheers !
Are you talking about the shock or the fork?

I like to think about the compression damping impacting speed sensitivity and the tokens impacting position sensitivity.

Sooo if you are chasing small bump sensitivity opening LSC will help that. But LSC and HSC interact so if you want more mid stroke support, you need to wind on HSC to compensate for when the shock has moved past it's initial travel.

More tokens means that there will be less air volume, and ramp up will occur in the mid stroke. The trade off is getting full travel. This may require dropping pressure and running more sag.

The LSR and HSR on the X2 is a bit of a fuck around. I just go full slow with HSR and then tune LSR to suit.

See Vorspring videos for more info.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Remove all tokens from the fork and fit a Luftkappe. That sorts the air spring out quite well on a 38 with good small bump, stout enough mid stroke and enough progression at the end. Otherwise one token and try higher air pressure.

LSC holds the fork up for braking and body weight shifts. HSC controls how much the fork resists sharp edges that create higher shaft speeds. Don’t be afraid to crank on the damping. Most people seem to turn it fully anti clockwise thinking comfort is only in that direction.

The X2 is trickier. How many bands does it have fitted? What’s the leverage curve of the bin chicken?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The fork is easy, I've had great luck with Fox Grip, not so much FIT4 or Grip2.

It's only the X2 rear shock I'm dealing with.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I am now the owner of an X2 :rolleyes:

Recommended Ibis setting felt ok'ish, the recommended fox settings have made the bike feel like a damp squib.

Now on settings 3 after tonights ride.

Any help would be much appreciated. Looking good small bump with decent mid range support.

View attachment 398327
Are you changing high and low rebound and low speed compression all at once? I find it best/easiest to set sag, then get rebound right (basic gutter test at walking speed work) then low seed compression and finally high speed. Shouldn’t be changing more than one setting at a time.

EDIT: Kaz at Pinkbike didnt get along with the Ibis ‘traction tune’ philosophy of having very light damping on compression and rebound. He only weighs 72kg but his setting are in this article if they help: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-2023-ibis-oso-emtb.html

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Are you changing high and low rebound and low speed compression all at once? I find it best/easiest to set sag, then get rebound right (basic gutter test at walking speed work) then low seed compression and finally high speed. Shouldn’t be changing more than one setting at a time.

EDIT: Kaz at Pinkbike didnt get along with the Ibis ‘traction tune’ philosophy of having very light damping on compression and rebound. He only weighs 72kg but his setting are in this article if they help: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-2023-ibis-oso-emtb.html
Thanks @yuley95 !

I tried the Ibis recommended setting first then the Fox. So I changed them all at once, then back. Only tweaking one at a time now.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Thanks @yuley95 !

I tried the Ibis recommended setting first then the Fox. So I changed them all at once, then back. Only tweaking one at a time now.
BTW - when I say 'gutter speed at walking pace test, I'm referring to this

It's probably overly simplistic but I find it gives a good way to isolate rebound and have a good setting for that so you can move on and work on compression. You may have seen that vid before - it's been around a while.

teK--

Eats Squid
BTW - when I say 'gutter speed at walking pace test, I'm referring to this

It's probably overly simplistic but I find it gives a good way to isolate rebound and have a good setting for that so you can move on and work on compression. You may have seen that vid before - it's been around a while.
that's exactly how I set my rebound

I set it quick enough so it has 1 small oscillation after returning to sag. Keeps the wheel lively without compromising grip too much.

EDIT: Another good tool is to film yourself in slow motion riding through some rough stuff. Firstly do it on a single drop and then once you get that right, do it in an area with multiple drops or bumps, like a rock garden. How you feel is often different to what the bike is doing as the body does an amazing job of compensating and soaking up bumps when the bike doesn't.

Use a mini tripod or find a friend.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

MX Store are great to get grease, oils etc and usually quick shipping as well. That low free shipping is awesome.
Never used them before but freeship over $20 is great !

They also have a MXexpress option which is $4.95, if in a rush.

ozzybmx

Interesting. I thought the consensus was to use the 5wt teflon Fox oil with the Grip2?
I've just read about 4-5 threads on MTBR where Dougal from Shockcraft is recommending supergliss/gold for the bath oil on GRIP damper forks, stating there is no direct way for it to get into the semi open GRIP damper and also recommending it for GRIP2 if you have a good maintenance plan and service your fork regularly.

This means checking your damper as the spill valve on the GRIP2 can take on the bath oil. Stating the safest bet is to use Motorex 2.5w racing fork oil.

His posts are pre Fox 38 and a little bit has changed with these forks with the inside channel taking oil up to the foam rings. So just to be on the safe side, I'll put the 2.5w in there.

He's not a fan of the Fox 5wt Teflon/PTFE oil.

hdgffdgfdjl.jpg

Reactions: PJO

Mattyp

Cows go boing
If you knew you needed 5wt Teflon infused before you dropped your fork lowers and actually had a bottle would you be reading all these threads by the same guy?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've just read about 4-5 threads on MTBR where Dougal from Shockcraft is recommending supergliss/gold for the bath oil on GRIP damper forks
I thought that he changed his opinion at some time on that, but I haven’t been following it recently.