Suspension Setup Sag/Travel

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dig !

How much rebound are burners using ?

Been playing lately with my settings on my DVO Onxy and DVO Topaz.

With the rebound wound all the way to the fastest setting as a zero point, zero being 0 clicks (fastest setting)

After a few runs on the same trail today, I have came home with the settings at -

Topaz - 6 to 7 positive clicks of rebound out of a possible 9.
Onyx - 18 positive clicks of rebound out of a possible 29.

I understand its a very personal thing but I have never really messed with rebound much, usually keeping it just below halfway on the faster side.

teK--

Eats Squid
Rebound setting doesn't really mean anything without knowing spring weight , and average leverage ratio. Also gotta count from fully closed position and clicks towards open direction.

ozzybmx

Rebound setting doesn't really mean anything without knowing spring weight , and average leverage ratio. Also gotta count from fully closed position and clicks towards open direction.
Yeah. Can'O'worms.

Fully closed, 2 clicks on the Topaz and 11 on the Onyx. The manual says to fully open and add clicks.

Not sure on leverage ratios and my air pressure for desired sag is way lower than recommended.

For my weight, the Onyx basic settings recommend 85-90psi, I am at 72psi, though that could be shock pump deviation.

The Topaz recommends 200-220psi, I am on 165psi.

Both setting get me approx 25-28% sag.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This. I use the "curb method" for a baseline (or usually just bounce on the seat), just enough damping to for the shock to settle with a slight overshoot & no excess oscillation or kick. This video explains it fairly well:

Another good watch is this:

As an aside, all of Steve's (of Vorsprung) Tuesday Tune videos are worth watching - the dude knows his stuff.

teK--

Eats Squid
This. I use the "curb method" for a baseline, just enough damping to stop oscillation or excess kick. This video explains it fairly well:

As an aside, all of Steve's (of Vorsprung) Tuesday Tune videos are worth watching - the dude knows his stuff.
Yep pretty much how I set mine up. Get to critical damping point then maybe open it up an extra click or two based on trail testing.

ozzybmx

Cheers, will give them a watch... I also use the curb/bounce method for baseline.

Had both coil front and back on my Santa Cruz, the bucking effect of a rear coil made me look really close at rebound after nearly being dumped on my head on a lippy jump.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I've found with both the Diamond and Onyx that you can't have zero else you'll get top out from the OTT. Other than that I like to run as little as possible, but I've always been that way with forks.

Similarly with any shock I've run in the past, I'm typically somewhere in the middle on my Topaz. I find the rebound is a tweak +1/-1 from your happy place, the bladder pressure is more important for overall feel. I can tell when I've neglected it and it's fallen under the min. 170 PSI.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@ozzybmx if it’s the Highlander you’re talking, I’m running much faster rebound than I have on other bikes, particularly for groomed stuff.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
My preference is "as little as possible" but yeah spring rate etc obviously a factor. You don't "gotta" count clicks from closed across the board but some dampers do have more "clicks" than actual adjustment, so counting from closed helps in that case... Either way using the same "zero" setting every time is more important than at which end of the range it is.
Yep, this unlocked my old X2 for me the first time I saw it.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers, will give them a watch... I also use the curb/bounce method for baseline.

Had both coil front and back on my Santa Cruz, the bucking effect of a rear coil made me look really close at rebound after nearly being dumped on my head on a lippy jump.
Ahh, meant to link this vid from steve - above was the followup. But yeah, rebound is important! When I see people on the local trails getting "bucked" frequently or complaining of it, 9/10 times they have the rebound too fast, or haven't ever touched it at all.

ozzybmx

Similarly with any shock I've run in the past, I'm typically somewhere in the middle on my Topaz. I find the rebound is a tweak +1/-1 from your happy place, the bladder pressure is more important for overall feel. I can tell when I've neglected it and it's fallen under the min. 170 PSI.
I have 200psi in the bladder, I even check it before most rides.

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx if it’s the Highlander you’re talking, I’m running much faster rebound than I have on other bikes, particularly for groomed stuff.
It is.

Where I rode today was rocky DH, a very rough rocky descent. Probably messing with settings I didn't need to mess with :)

I have my baseline setting recorded in case I get way out of whack.

ozzybmx

Ahh, meant to link this vid from steve - above was the followup. But yeah, rebound is important! When I see people on the local trails getting "bucked" frequently or complaining of it, 9/10 times they have the rebound too fast, or haven't ever touched it at all.
Might just cast it to the big TV and suck a few more Sparking ales.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Dig !

rough rule of thumb I’ve kept is that when ur punching bike park laps with the bros and hitting kickers at Mach chicken slow that fucker down 2-4 clicks from base settings.

If I’m riding steep technical trails I want that thing riding like a fucking donkey yewwwwwwww.

seriously tho, if you’re not a big chungus or a featherweight the base settings according the PSI is where I make my adjustments from. I’m trusting that fox, DVO, Rockshox etc have a fairly good idea on what works and not some fucking internet hero off an MTBR thread that can’t even put a season on his suspension before buying the next new shit.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I hear you on the coil kick. I've had the xfusion coil rebound damping on the Prime almost fully closed. Easing it off a bit recently to make it a bit faster. But the thing gets pretty bouncy without a whole lot of damping.

Contrast that with the Mezzer Pro. I've got the pressures in that pretty low for realllly supple initial travel. Running no rebound damping (well, 0 clicks of LSR from open). Just can't run it fast enough.
Think I'll need to run a few more psi in the air spring just to get normal feeling rebound happening again. Or change the rebound shim stack (outside my current rebuild comfort zone - but who knows).

Also - I do wonder if @AaronJ ever sorted that rear shock.

ozzybmx

I seem to get away with once a month on this one on the new bike, although given it almost always needs a top up suggests I should do it more frequently. Last one on old bike seemed to hold better again.
My Spur nearly gets a 2:1 preference over the Deviate going on KM's done since new, its needs a check and needs to be right... its hitting shit that can fck this old man up really badly.

ozzybmx

I am now the owner of an X2 :rolleyes:

Recommended Ibis setting felt ok'ish, the recommended fox settings have made the bike feel like a damp squib.

Now on settings 3 after tonights ride.

Any help would be much appreciated. Looking good small bump with decent mid range support.

fdgfghgg.jpg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I am now the owner of an X2 :rolleyes:

Recommended Ibis setting felt ok'ish, the recommended fox settings have made the bike feel like a damp squib.

Now on settings 3 after tonights ride.

Any help would be much appreciated. Looking good small bump with decent mid range support.

View attachment 398327
Wind off the LSC and stuff full of tokens. Might also need more HSC. The DW Ibises of yore didn't like too much sag so watch for that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Wind off the LSC and stuff full of tokens. Might also need more HSC. The DW Ibises of yore didn't like too much sag so watch for that.
I wasnt getting full travel with the 3 volume reducers at 70psi which was way below my weight at 84ish, the HSC will hold me higher in stroke ?

More LSC will give me small bump.

Cheers !