sweet and cheap bike carrier for car

boofy

Likes Bikes
just thought i would post up a quick review of my new bike carrier that i just got. it is the jetblack 4 bike version bike rack that replaced the older qspear version. got it from 99 bikes at chermside in brisbane for $150 and it includes straps to tie your bike down with. i was going to get a platform type, but they would be too low for my driveway and i would only be able to use it on my ute. this one fits any towball and is very sturdy. my norco in the pics is around 20kg and it fit no worries. 4 bikes might be a little cramped space wise, but if you alternate the bikes in there direction, they are supposed to fit. i would highly recommend these racks as a good solid cheap rack.

Attachments

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have one aswell :)

a torpedo 7 branded one... but none the less the same thing.

terrific product, cheap and reliable. and suits most bikes.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Funny you should put up a review as I've been thinking about getting one of these... Just trying to decided whether to get the 3 or 4 bike rack.

Do you rekon it's strong enough to take 4 DH bikes & not bend or break?? Also, is there a option for different mounts? ie hitch? Another thing I was concerned about was security eg. after going for a ride you come back to, no rack....

Curious as to what your thoughts are.............

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
have one aswell :)

a torpedo 7 branded one... but none the less the same thing.
except the torp 7 version is almost twice as cheap ... sometimes 3x when it goes on sale.

I've used mine (torp7 version) with 4 bikes, but I prefer to only use it with 3 ... to leave a little more room between rigs.

The bikes do sway a little if you don't tie them down properly ... but once you work out how to tie down ... then the twin bar configuration accommodates way more frame types.

@boofy ... suggest wrapping some thick, used DH inner tube around the foam arms ... you''ll still have the cushy foam but the rubber will protect it and stop them from ripping.

boofy

Likes Bikes
@boofy ... suggest wrapping some thick, used DH inner tube around the foam arms ... you''ll still have the cushy foam but the rubber will protect it and stop them from ripping.[/QUOTE]

thanks for that idea. i will do just that as i was thinking that the foam will rip eventually.

regarding taking 4 downhill bikes, the bloke from the store said his mates use it for 4 downhill bikes, but this could just be the usual sales pitch. i would say that it would take the weight without a problem as it is very sturdy.

regarding mounts, it is a towball mount, but my towball is a hitch mount type on my ute. i had to make up an extended bar for it to get the ball past the tray of the ute, but this only cost $18 and the use of a drill press to make.

with security, i was thinking of using a chain and lock around the bottom as it has a loop in it which i assume is there for this purpose. otherwise, it only takes 15 seconds at most to remove it and put inside the car whilst riding anyway.

i have also read that the torpedo 7 brand whilst the same looking rack, is of lesser quallity and strength, but without actually seeing one and comparing directly, this is only just someones opinion.

hope all of this helps.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Hey man, I have a torpedo7 3 bike rack. don't use it any more, but regularly carried 2 dh rigs on it and no worries. did 3 several times too, and although no worries it was significantly worse than carrying 2. Obviously there was more weight, but I think the main reason was the distance out from the towball mounting position that the weight was hung, you tended to get a noticeable amount more bouncing which made me a little weary, and also a couple of times it resulted in the 2 bolts at the bottom slightly loosening. Never anything close to failing, but with 4 dh bikes... Just keep an eye on those bolts! for the record haven't seen the jetblack ones in person but the t7 ones were plenty strong enough for what they were, just think in my opinion atleast these racks are probably not ideal for regularly loading to full capacity with maximum weight rigs on anything much less than beautiful flat bitumen roads..
*EDIT* As another option, why don't you wrap that rear rack on your ute in thick foam/rubber and pop the front wheels over that for shuttle days? Even use a wooden pallet in the tray for slots for the rear wheels? Far more secure... just a thought..

Last edited:

boofy

Likes Bikes
not a bad idea with the ute rack, but i usually carry too much stuff for work to unload all the time. would take hours each time i wanted to ride.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hmmm I have been thinking about getting one of these bike racks from TBSM for quite a while now. But will the 4 bike rack be a good idea over the 3 bike rack? Because you would simply be putting another bike therefore more load on the bike rack - less durability...
Another question is - does anyone own a BC A-Frame Bike rack??? If so could you please put up a review.
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=149_150_156_164&products_id=5163
The only thing that really makes my head go around in circles, is the velcro straps to secure/hold down the bikes in the bike mounting positions... But seeing as though they are fairly large straps, they seem like they would do the job just fine.

Last edited:

boofy

Likes Bikes
the bc aframe rack you show has limitations on the frames you can fit on it. i could not use it for my norco. they also restrict you with location/spacing of the bikes on the rack. with the jetblack one that i have, you can put any frame type on it in any position along the bars.

regarding the durability, i have read recently about a guy that had several bikes on his jetblack rack and also could hang off it with his own weight. probably wouldnt recommend doing that with one, but at least it shows that it can handle the weight.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
the bc aframe rack you show has limitations on the frames you can fit on it. i could not use it for my norco. they also restrict you with location/spacing of the bikes on the rack. with the jetblack one that i have, you can put any frame type on it in any position along the bars.

regarding the durability, i have read recently about a guy that had several bikes on his jetblack rack and also could hang off it with his own weight. probably wouldnt recommend doing that with one, but at least it shows that it can handle the weight.
Hmmm yeah sounds like I'm better off with the Jetblack bike rack in that case as I will be carrying around dh bikes the majority of the time. Quite stupid of that person to hang off it with his own weight though...
Thanks anyways. :)

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback........

I like the idea of the old tubes Nerf.

I was also thinking of getting something like foam sheets like an exercise matt from Clark Rubber & cutting holes in it to sit between bikes, like lettuce :):)

aidz44

Likes Dirt
Hmmm I have been thinking about getting one of these bike racks from TBSM for quite a while now.
snip*
put up a review.
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=149_150_156_164&products_id=5163
snip*.
I had a double one for a while, until i built my own similar to the grip rack.
biggest problem I has was actually fitting the bike on. the problem was the piece of steel that was supposed to hold the numberplate on, well it wouldn't fit through my front triangle anywhere. the two padded forks seem to relieve this problem.
It also swayed when I hit a bump, mostly at the tow-ball itself. I couldn't see it being a great problem and don't think there would be much difference with the one "boofy" has.