Switch to Polygon Siskiu, or stick with what I have?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Currently I ride a 2012 Giant Reign and it has served me well, however I am thinking I want a bit of a change and have stumbled across the Polygon Siskiu D8.

I have included a spec list below - I am happy with the specs and the price, but I am not very familiar with the frame or suspension setup (I do see that Polygon have 5 years frame warranty which is something..)? I was hoping some of you burners may have some constructive criticism/feedback that will help me make my mind up.

I guess my main question is - would I be taking a step backwards if I sold my 2012 Giant Reign 1 and replaced it with the Polygon Siskiu D8. On paper the Polygon does look like it has better specs than my old reign (even with the small upgrades I have done), but paper specs vs actual ride quality can be a different story.

Some specs below..

Alloy XC Frame, 4.7" Travel,
Internal routed, tapered headtube
Rockshox Recon Gold Air fork & Rockshox Monarch RT Rear Air Shock
20 Speed Shimano Deore XT / SLX group set
27.5 inch Mavic Crossride wheels with Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres

Full specs here https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2016-polygon-siskiu-d8.0-dual-suspension-mountain

Thank you guys and girls..

will2

Likes Dirt
Polygon Quality is very good, you will have lots and lots of trouble breaking one, if that is your concern. Bicycles online seem to stand very well behind the products. I used to own the Colossus AX, all-mountain style bike. It was a very good bike for what I payed and was very happy with it. The three gripes I had with the AX seem to have been ironed out, mass, unsuppleness of the the suspension and wheelset. But none of that would be a problem at all with the D8.
Make sure you ride flat out when you get it, get a few days off work or whatever and do some huge rides. Then if you find a few gripes you can sort them or return it. They also have very competitive prices on some components like Shimano, so if you want something like upgraded shifters/pedals (XTR changes the feel loads and makes it so nice) you can probably haggle your way with that in the purchase, something to keep in mind.

PULL THE TRIGGER DUDE!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
components and price are good .... I'd want a carbon frame as a step up from the giant or if no carbon then something with a more refined design that's had some innovation put into it.

save your money its an ugly looking fuker.

for same price you could go the anthem with a known brand with race pedigree and proven suspension function vs an unknown indo brand nothing wrong with that of course but price is too high for these things in my opinion.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27-5-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes/giant/nsw/sutherland/anthem-27-5-3/102676068

Anthem-27-5-3-Silver.jpg

Last edited:

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Looks are a matter of opinion, I'd take the D8 over that Anthem any day. It's cheaper, better spec, and I think it looks better too.

Compare the geometry too. Depending on sizing the polygon seems a bit slacker and longer-will handle differently to your reign. Like above I'd test ride any bike before riding it so you know how it responds. In regards to the anthem-the rear suspension setup is great-efficient pedalling yet supple over bumps and not afraid to use the travel if you set it up right. Can't comment on the Polygon. I went a rocky mountain element and took a lot of trial and error with pressure/volume spacers to get the rear shock as good as the anthem which is setup and leave.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input everyone. I will see what luck I have selling my current bike. If all goes well I think I will go ahead with the Polygon.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Polygon build Scott so if you're comfortable riding one of them... I've got one of their downhill bikes, specced excellently and built solidly. Bicyclesonline was a breeze to work with.

As18258

Squid
polygon siskui

I am not really sure about the polygon siskui but flow mtb has got a review on them and I think the said it was pretty good.

ozgti

Likes Dirt
I have rave reviews about polygon. They're an awesome frame and the best bit is the 14 day trial. Just chuck it on the card, ride it and as long as there's no damage and it's clean, you get a full refund. I test rode the hardtail 29, took it to Hunter Valley as the gf didn't have a bike. Did a few big rides, cleaned it up and returned it.

They also have a race team with some big names. Just because they don't advertise like all the other big brands, they are an outlet/sole distributor that rely on word of mouth more than big glossy advertising and they seem to be doing well.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I forgot about this thread! I didn't end up going ahead with it... I had a buyer lined up for my Reign, but when I went to check on stock availability for the D8, it wasn't in until this year sometime. Pretty frustrating.

On another note, I went to purchase their Dj bike last year too (Polygon Cozmic from memory), only to be told it is no longer available. I asked why was it still advertised and got no response. No biggy really but I won't waste my time with them anymore.