Sydney bike lanes...?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw on the tv just now that they are going to scrap Sydney bike lanes? What's all this about?

scblack

Leucocholic
I think you are on crack....:fat:

What tv show was it? Who said this? What channel?

Sydney City Council is extending the bike lanes network. It is NOT going away.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Saw on the tv just now that they are going to scrap Sydney bike lanes? What's all this about?
I think you misunderstood - bike lanes are a council concern. It may be possible that a particular council gets rid of bike lanes (or adds them) but it wouldn't be city wide. If you meant Sydney city, then the opposite is the case - the current lord mayor is a big fan of them, and is pushing their introduction over the anguished squeaking of media such as the daily terrrrah.

taitt

Likes Dirt
"Well Barry I have long been kicking you and the state govemnet about not doing anythink."

Well said Geoff of Sydney.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Sheesh! That's a bit rough.
Having different opinions over bike lanes is one thing, but the mindless "me too" grunting going on in that thread is just astounding. Every mindless trope in existence about bikes, people who ride bikes, and transport policy is in there, generally repeated over and over again without the slightest thinking going on in the middle. A few backstreet bike paths are Ruining Our City? Seriously? I hope whichever moron wrote that has a waterproof keyboard. The few rays of sunshine (thanks for fighting the good fight, Matt of Sydney) pointing out that on-street parking accounts for around 5%, rendering negligible the impact of any lost spaces) are outweighed many times over by dimwits honking on about bike registration. Depressing.

For some reason the daily terrrah has made CBD bike paths a weekly target way out of proportion to their true impact, probably to get at Clover Moore, who they seem to openly loathe (but who has been elected numerous times and is very popular in her electorate). They need to stop clinging to the past and let Sydney evolve.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Mik_Git, looks like you have heard a story that has some basis:

Looks like traffic planning is being removed from Sydney Council, and O'Farrell is not going to provide any certainty to future cycleway plans, or even current cycleways.

Proposed transport committee may hit the brakes on City's wish list

Matthew Moore

March 8, 2012
  • Read later

"Mr O'Farrell said the government disagreed with the City on transport issues". Photo: Robert Peet
THE completion of Sydney's planned network of separated cycleways hangs in the balance after the Premier, Barry O'Farrell, announced plans for new laws to curb the City of Sydney's role in transport decisions.
Announcing plans for a government-controlled Central Sydney Traffic and Transport Committee, Mr O'Farrell said the government disagreed with the council on transport issues, such as extending bikeways, speed limits and expansion of low-speed zones for cars and pedestrians.
The director-general of Transport NSW, Les Wielinga, will chair the committee, to include three other government members and three council representatives.
Advertisement: Story continues below
It will have responsibility for co-ordinating plans and policies for public transport and traffic within central Sydney as well as making decisions on major transport issues.
The Lord Mayor, Clover Moore, says her transport initiatives, including plans for a 55-kilometre network of separated cycleways, are designed to make Sydney a global city, but Mr O'Farrell disputed this and said she was planning for residents and not for the 800,000 people who entered the city each day.
''Not everyone lives in the boundaries of the City of Sydney or has access to the agenda Clover Moore is pushing, and we need to ensure people across wider Sydney also get to have a say,'' he said.
Cr Moore said that she was surprised by the Premier's announcement, as all city transport decisions were already made in conjunction with government. Unless it had funding, the new committee risked becoming ''just another level of bureaucracy''.
Mr O'Farrell would not say whether the committee would try to remove any of the 10 kilometres of cycleways the city has built.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/proposed-...brakes-on-citys-wish-list-20120307-1ukmk.html

JP

Likes Dirt
Having different opinions over bike lanes is one thing, but the mindless "me too" grunting going on in that thread is just astounding. Every mindless trope in existence about bikes, people who ride bikes, and transport policy is in there, generally repeated over and over again without the slightest thinking going on in the middle. A few backstreet bike paths are Ruining Our City? Seriously? I hope whichever moron wrote that has a waterproof keyboard. The few rays of sunshine (thanks for fighting the good fight, Matt of Sydney) pointing out that on-street parking accounts for around 5%, rendering negligible the impact of any lost spaces) are outweighed many times over by dimwits honking on about bike registration. Depressing.

For some reason the daily terrrah has made CBD bike paths a weekly target way out of proportion to their true impact, probably to get at Clover Moore, who they seem to openly loathe (but who has been elected numerous times and is very popular in her electorate). They need to stop clinging to the past and let Sydney evolve.
I should have put some stupid smiley-type-thing in there to show I was being sarcastic. I totally agree with your conclusion that that particular piece is indeed teeming with utter morons. :)

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah sorry, I was just about to leave for work when it came on the tv, and I'm like "er...what's goin on?"... hence my thread, wondering what the deal was.