Sydney Trails when wet

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
Being from Europe I'm not quite familiar with the rocky surfaces that characterises the trails around Sydney. I've heard that the wet clay is able to destroy your bikes drive train in an instant. Whats this about and what do you guys think? Would you ride the dam for example as long as its open even if it could still be a bit wet? I've never been scared of by the weather but of course dont want to damage my bike.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
It's more about rutting up trails and causing damage to trails when wet.
Yes, you splash shitty sandy crud up into your drive trail that can grind away at bearings and chain links but a good clean after your ride will sort it out.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I've heard that the wet clay is able to destroy your bikes drive train in an instant.
Mate I wouldn't be too worried about it. Got nearly 4yrs out of my last cassette and I hardly ever clean my bike, just wipe down/lube the suspension each ride and WD the chain every few rides. As previously stated, it's more about damaging tracks than anything else....

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Rode The Rock Trail at Kentlyn yesterday and it was great.
Look for trails built mostly on Sandstone when wet and you wont hurt any trails.
When you ride through water and then hit sand, is when you wreck your drivetrain.
The guys are right, riding in the wet, and what else can we do lately, is really a matter of protecting the tracks.

romy

Likes Dirt
Rode The Rock Trail at Kentlyn yesterday and it was great.
Look for trails built mostly on Sandstone when wet and you wont hurt any trails.
When you ride through water and then hit sand, is when you wreck your drivetrain.
The guys are right, riding in the wet, and what else can we do lately, is really a matter of protecting the tracks.
Lots of debate about this and to be honest I could not agree with you more mtboer.
When its raining I'm straight out to Kentlyn or Revesby.
These trails are majority sandstone and sand and unless there is major standing water or mud which neither of the for-mentioned have, your not creating ruts or major erosion outside of the norm.
In fact as both of these areas are mainly rock and sand there actually faster when slightly wet due to the "tackiness" of the trail (Prob not fast in torrential rain). If you do crank it left at speed in the dry enjoy hitting that sand at >35kms.... and before you ask yes i maintain trails and am yet to have to re-rake ruts out of anything I have built at these locations. I cant speak for BOB but if he is happy for you to ride what I would essentially call "His" trail I would not have a issue riding in the rain in these locations, just be smart and avoid jumps and other featurs which may if present get damaged,... now as far as damage to your bike.... that's another can of worms..

Last edited: