Talbingo MTB Skills Park

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There's something new happening near the Snowys:

1000m of elevation in the surrounding area and big plans for the future - good luck to them!

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I'll respectfully hope these fellow mountain bikers keep up what looks like good progress on getting more trails built for others to enjoy.

Most of the trails local to me have been built by people with only a desire to ride new local trails and are happy to share them.

Can anyone twiddling thumbs during covid lockdown lend a hand with the project?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Is that froth I can see, off in the distance?
#Pleasedontpeaktooearly
Going since September so six months before really revealing the froth. Started the project with 40k from a regional grant. Have partnered with the local community on a large scale. First froth I heard of was this, the actul breaking of ground. Might be a good project for your MTB Direct club $$.

I think it's just unfortunate that this type of thing is inherently much harder to get going on the fringe of the biggest city in Australia whereas take it into a region and we've all seen the massive successes in those more remote projects as the community rallies behind them.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I think it's just unfortunate that this type of thing is inherently much harder to get going on the fringe of the biggest city in Australia whereas take it into a region and we've all seen the massive successes in those more remote projects as the community rallies behind them.
Yes it’s an unfortunate reality that the closer you get to a major centre, the harder the D/A process, more pressure from NIMBYs in one side and developers on the other and so on.

Regional areas need the tourism and I reckon post bushfires there will potentially be a lot of money available to promote domestic tourism since we won’t be flying internationally any time soon.

Tourism’s the focus for the new trail network in the ACT too; the master plan is progress and details will be revealed pretty soon having been held up by covid.

Those shots of Talbingo look spectacular, so let’s hope the money becomes available to make the most of all that elevation.