Wheels - Easton Haven
Tyres - Schwalbe Hans Dampf / Maxxis Ardent
Tubes - not likely
Total weight - Will weigh once complete

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mint! Can't wait to see it finished!

Just wondering, why do you make your gear cables (left shifter to left lug, visa verc....) run like road bikes would? Just my personal preference is to run them crossing (left shifter to right lug) so if I crash, they don't pull out of the lugs. Also means they don't rub on your frame :)

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Mint! Can't wait to see it finished!

Just wondering, why do you make your gear cables (left shifter to left lug, visa verc....) run like road bikes would? Just my personal preference is to run them crossing (left shifter to right lug) so if I crash, they don't pull out of the lugs. Also means they don't rub on your frame :)
Thats not his doing - its the way Santa Cruz designed their cable management to be, mine is the same, and doesn't run the risk of pulling lugs when the bars are fully turned?

Looks neater in my opinion too

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Not included?

Fork colour is the least of my worries.. more concerned about getting a rear axle
I'm pretty sure all Santa Cruz bikes come with the rear axle - it's only Intense, etc. that skimp......
A guy I ride with just picked up his from FTR and he got one with his frame
Chase up your shop

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Thats not his doing - its the way Santa Cruz designed their cable management to be, mine is the same, and doesn't run the risk of pulling lugs when the bars are fully turned?

Looks neater in my opinion too
Yeah thats it, i looked at running it both ways but theres no way to run the crossover at the back for the rear without major rubbing etc around the linkage. I prefer the look too now that I'm used to it. Can turn the bars almost around both ways no worries.

As for the Axle yes they are SUPPOSED to be included... mine just wasn't in the box. Liam at TBSM was right onto it for me just that living in WA means delays in postage so i expect it'll be here monday. Weighed it this morning and got 11.53 with the thomson post and no pedals. so i assume it'll be around 11.7-8 ish with the rear axle, just weighed the bike, the chain and the rear wheel to get the 11.53. not bad for an XL!

NickR

Likes Dirt
The Park Tool coffee mug completes the first photo.. what a professional. The bike looks okay too..

Keen to hear your ride report; like to see how you find the bike as all-mountain 29er and compared to a 26" (if that's what you came off). You have built up a fantastic bike, well done.

thabazz

Likes Bikes
Looks sweet mate! Looking forward to a composite challenge sometime, Nomad v Tallboy, 26v 29...the claws will be out!!

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Just wondering, why do you make your gear cables (left shifter to left lug, visa verc....) run like road bikes would?
Yeah thats it, i looked at running it both ways but theres no way to run the crossover at the back for the rear without major rubbing etc around the linkage. I prefer the look too now that I'm used to it. Can turn the bars almost around both ways no worries
My NomadC was the same but it did not sit well with me. I couldn't get the loop size right and didn't like the angles I needed to stop cable/line pulling when turning tight.

So I tried this;

The rear derailleur and brake line cross above the bottom bracket at the same spot the lines droop anyway= no extra rub on the frame.
PA061931.JPG

Here I have crossed the front derailleur and dropper post lines under the top tube. There is leading edge tape there for rub any way, but I have not seen any damage yet.
PA061930.jpg

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Ride report

By popular demand..

Basically this is the best bike for me that I've ever ridden. I was wary of the 65mm stem and front end height of the 29er for climbing but I've had no issues and made my way up some pretty steep technical stuff, tight switchbacks are no drama. Sounds cliche but I actually have cleared sections of trail that I either haven't before or found harder with the 26" bikes I've had, a combination of the geometry of the Tallboy and the 29" wheels no doubt. The top tube fits me perfectly and I can ride for 4-5 hours no worries, did the 4 day cape to cape end of the year and was suprised how we'll it seemed to pedal next to "Xc" bikes. The weight is pretty impressive for its size in my opinion.

On the downhill sections its amazing, the front end feels really predictable and confidence inspiring. I've added a dropper post since the photos, 125mm reverb. I can't believe I didn't have this from the start seeing I had them on previous bikes. The bike jumps really easy and is good fun to throw around on technical trails, I'm yet to bottom it out and I'm not the lightest rider around. Much more playful than the 150/160 travel bikes in my opinion especially for the WA trails. Easy as to get the front wheel to loft for small manuals and log overs etc.

The raw matte finish looks awesome in the sun and isn't too bad to clean up, the usual santacruz quality with linkages etc easy to maintain and access. No mechanical complaints, I've clocked up quite a few Kms and no noises or creaks anywhere. SantaCruz aren't cheap but you get what you pay for..

I've added XX 2x10 cranks now for improved shifting over the 3x10 noir cranks i had previously with an MRP iscg mounted bash guard as a bit of insurance too.

At the end of the day I'm definitely smiling at the end of each ride, it's a fun bike and that's what it's about. I'll most probly never find its limits and I'm ok with that. CG is riding one of these as a megavalanche bike, that's a fair statement for its durability.

Things ill be changing on my setup -
Larger rotor probly a 185 on the rear to match the front, 160 is a bit under done for my size.
New wheels, the eastons are ok but I'm a mavic man deep down. Crossmax st's. I'd love the Enve's but can't justify the price.. One day.

Rider -
I'm 195cm and 95kg and ride flat pedals. Previous trail type bikes owned and ridden that I'm comparing to, intense 6.6, 09' specialized stump jumper, 09' sworks stump jumperHT, 11' trek remedy 9.9, nomad carbon.

Hope this helps any decisions that need to be made :) you won't regret the Tallboy LTc. Enjoy