Tape for Flow MK3's

treble

Likes Dirt
Im trying to mount a fresh set of Stans Flow MK3's. The Stan's website claims I need to use 30mm wide tape, but I cant seem to find any locally. I gorilla tape was popular, but now that masters is gone I don't know where you buy it.
Anyone got a suggestion?

I just need to tape one bloody wheel! The wheel builder taped them for me with something resembling gorilla tape. but in a effort worthy of the f'wit thread I managed to put a small hole in the tape with a tyre lever, which I shouldn't have been using, trying the get the rear tyre on.

moorey

call me Mia
I use the bear outdoor masking tape on my flow mk3 (actually, most bikes now). 1/10th the price of proper rim tape.

treble

Likes Dirt
I use the bear outdoor masking tape on my flow mk3 (actually, most bikes now). 1/10th the price of proper rim tape.
from Bunnings? I've read mixed reports.
I'll check it out though. on eBay i was looking at nearly $70 for a roll of the 30mm :frusty:

Edit:
I notice the Bear tape is only 25mm wide, still ok on the wider internal rim?

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Do you guys put a line on each side going right out to the rim wall, or just cover the spoke holes with a few wraps?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used the Bear on my MK3s as well and just did a double wrap straight down the middle.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Do you guys put a line on each side going right out to the rim wall, or just cover the spoke holes with a few wraps?
It's better if you go up to the rim wall and 2 wraps is normally enough. You don't want go too many wraps on those stans mk3 rims because the rim valley is shallow and you will fight to get a new tyre on.