Tasmania - the secrets unlocked...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
including what I expect to be the best: a trail from the top of the teirs to Weldborogh.

Yep the full Blue Tier Descent will be epic if Big Chook is anything to go by.
Did the Blue Tier Descent a couple of years ago, starting at Pieomina down to the hotel. It was awesome then, even with all the fire road (and rain, and wind, and sleet). If they've improved it, it will be epic. Might have to start planning another trip.

For the NE Launceston is a good base. The travel in Tassie is a piece o piss for Australians, just don't expect to hit the speed limit, with all the bongo vans clogging the roads.

Hobart is windy as fuck. It's right in the middle of the Roaring Forties. Almost lost a child at the top of Mt Wellington.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Did the Blue Tier Descent a couple of years ago, starting at Pieomina down to the hotel. It was awesome then, even with all the fire road (and rain, and wind, and sleet). If they've improved it, it will be epic. Might have to start planning another trip.
Come down late spring onwards, the full Blue Tier trail should be done by then. Also some of the new "Wild Mersey" trails near Devonport should be taking shape as well.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Come down late spring onwards, the full Blue Tier trail should be done by then. Also some of the new "Wild Mersey" trails near Devonport should be taking shape as well.
The rain, wind and sleet, was the start of January, what day do you get the good weather?

Stredda

The rain, wind and sleet, was the start of January, what day do you get the good weather?
Best weather is from January to early April. Can get some freak weather anytime but not all that often. The cooler weather is better to ride in as you're not sweating your guts out and it's no where as bad as most of the US and Europe get and they still ride in the winter. Hobart is the second driest capital city in Australia, the trails are dry and dusty more often than not.

This is the new free ride area at the Penguin MTB park on the Northwest coast
[video=youtube;lMK5srUX_rE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMK5srUX_rE[/video]

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Best weather is from January to early April. Can get some freak weather anytime but not all that often. The cooler weather is better to ride in as you're not sweating your guts out and it's no where as bad as most of the US and Europe get and they still ride in the winter. Hobart is the second driest capital city in Australia, the trails are dry and dusty more often than not.

This is the new free ride area at the Penguin MTB park on the Northwest coast
[video=youtube;lMK5srUX_rE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMK5srUX_rE[/video]
Someone needs to teach that young punk not to skid on the trail!

binner

Hath shat hymself
see you there

bahhhhhh good timing i was going to try n hit this up this sat dee and git me a pic hugging the big penguin. Down there for 5 days riding derby n shit

see you there poodles

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
bahhhhhh good timing i was going to try n hit this up this sat dee and git me a pic hugging the big penguin. Down there for 5 days riding derby n shit

see you there poodles
Pass on my love to the penguin...with little bit of hug turned slow dancing.

Pete C

Cannon Fodder
They haven't really improved or touched the old descent. It still will be a gnarly washed out old school track, rather World Trail are in the process of creating a new purpose built route linking the same two locations. A few photos have popped up in social media, it will be jaw dropping.

EyeMacHunt

Likes Bikes
Has anyone done a big road trip with 3 or 4 people with bikes?

a few mates and I are planning a 14 day trip around Tasmania in October, and we are trying to figure out to do either:

- hire a ute/cargo van and go hotel to hotel, using the car to explore and get to tracks
- hire a 4-6 berth camper and travel like that. Problem with this option is bike storage and racking up huge mileage in the van.

thoughts?

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Has anyone done a big road trip with 3 or 4 people with bikes?

a few mates and I are planning a 14 day trip around Tasmania in October, and we are trying to figure out to do either:

- hire a ute/cargo van and go hotel to hotel, using the car to explore and get to tracks
- hire a 4-6 berth camper and travel like that. Problem with this option is bike storage and racking up huge mileage in the van.

thoughts?
having always lived in tasmania my opinion would be make the most of the trip and go with the camper for absolute freedom...

i near guarantee dates pending you wont have issues finding camp grounds littered around the state and will be a massive benefit when you stumble across a cool little town in the middle of nowhere and just want to park up and explore...

plan to ride derby for at least 3 days...the place is unreal

Stredda

Nice edit by Jasper Da Seymour at the Penguin Bike park
[video=vimeo;162996654]https://vimeo.com/162996654[/video]

EyeMacHunt

Likes Bikes
having always lived in tasmania my opinion would be make the most of the trip and go with the camper for absolute freedom...

i near guarantee dates pending you wont have issues finding camp grounds littered around the state and will be a massive benefit when you stumble across a cool little town in the middle of nowhere and just want to park up and explore...

plan to ride derby for at least 3 days...the place is unreal

I would love to do that, only problem is where do we store the bikes when we're not riding?

Also - doing a tonne of KMs in the camper driving to new spots.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
I would love to do that, only problem is where do we store the bikes when we're not riding?

Also - doing a tonne of KMs in the camper driving to new spots.
im led to believe one of the car hire places in the north of tasmania have specifically built bike trailers on offer.....

bhibbert

Likes Bikes
Get on trailforks app. Most of the local trails are upload now. The app is great for planning longer rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk