Tasmania - the secrets unlocked...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Had a good talk to Buck, very informative... definately going there, just need to decide whether May or later in the year.
I'd go May or earlier if you can. The good weather tapers off from May but we had one of our driest winters in a long time last year (hence the Hydro dams are very low) but it was great for mountain biking. The first section of the Blue Tier trail near Derby will be done by then so that will definitely be worth while.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wow, someone else who actually likes climbing! I've always wanted to climb Mt Wellington on the roadie, problem is that if I get over there (which will happen soon) I may have to chose only one bike. First world problems...

What's Derby like?
Might be worth seeing if a bike shop will rent you a roadie for a day? Its a great climb!

slowmick

38-39"
I'll look into that, but it wouldn't be my 6.5kg climbing weapon! I'll just have to be slow and make sure I don't use Strava ;)
You'll be too busy looking at the scenery to go fast (or dodging the buses). do it once on a renter then take your own...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ I have an erection and now need.some instructions for a visit...
- What is near this beast of a set up? Other rides? Township? Other attractions? Hospital?
- How far is it from a major city? (forgive my geographical ignorance, Hobart is all I know, and that by name only.)
- When will it be ready?

Stredda

^ I have an erection and now need.some instructions for a visit...
- What is near this beast of a set up? Other rides? Township? Other attractions? Hospital?
- How far is it from a major city? (forgive my geographical ignorance, Hobart is all I know, and that by name only.)
- When will it be ready?
lol

Google Penguin Tasmania that's where the Penguin MTB park is. Its about 25min from Devonport where the Spirit of Tasmania ferry to Melbourne docks.

Hollybank is about 1.5hrs away and Derby is at least 2.5hours away.

The new network I mentioned before getting started in a few months at Latrobe is 1/2hr away.

Hobart is 3hrs away and Launceston is 1.5hrs away.

Hopefully it will be complete by the end of March. We just have to finish cladding the curved wall, paint the structures and then the dirt arrives!

The Penguin park has some technical XC style trails around and a pump track and the Dial Range to the South for old school all mountain riding!

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I'm heading over to Tassie in April for 10 days, not bringing the bike but would like to do some riding.

Does anyone have any information on a good combination of bike hire and nearby trails (I like to hire bikes because it's easier than lugging mine around and I get to try out new bikes, I think I'd be dreaming but something like Rotorua where you can hire a bike a the trail head would be awesome).

I will have a car capable of transporting a bike but would like to be within say half an hour of the trails so I can maximise my riding time.

Staying about 5 days in Hobart & 5 in Launceston.

thanks in advance
Chris

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sprung and vertigo mtb in Launceston, and cyclingo in hobart.
Sprung hire bikes, vertigo offer hire and day trips and shuttles to derby.
Cyclingo are a short ride* from the start of the north south trail.
Al..
* with many metres climbing...

rstim

Likes Dirt
Vertigo have Norco sight AL 7.1's for hire for the north of the state along with all the knowledge and shuttles for hollybank (Juggernaut) derby and the blue tier. Another option for derby they have recently got some giant trance 27.5 2's for hire at The Corner Store cafe (03) 6354 1062 along with some giant stance's. Pretty sure cyclingo in Hobart have Santa Cruz heckler's as their hire fleet.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Based on a 3 week (non-riding i'm afraid) trip I did in May, from top to bottom:

- Depends which side you're on. The west coast and central plateau get a lot more rain than the east. The north east in particular is quite temperate and fortunately, Derby is in the north east. Somewhere like Strahan (west coast) is particularly wet, windy and cold in winter.
- I spent the entire three weeks thinking "shit eh......perfect riding temperature". I too hate heat and humidity.
- Depends what you're after. Shit loads of walks and such.......the Wineglass Bay loop in Freycinet National Park is really good. Cradle Mountain.....Tahune Airwalk......Hastings Caves......one of the more amazing things I saw was The Wall in the Wilderness.
- Yes. Bit more difficult to find top notch stuff in little towns but Hobart is awash with great cafes.
- Food is brilliant. If you like seafood you're in the right place. Other than that, it's all fantastic. The Apple Shed makes top notch cider. Wineries and distilleries are plentiful.
- Everything. http://www.tassietrails.org/
- Dutch and bushman I found.

Paid $250 return with Qantas which is perfectly reasonable as far as i'm concerned. A Corolla for 3 weeks (2400kms) was $900.
Did you see the drizabone coat at the Wall.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I got quoted $2k for a small 2 berth camper ( hi roof transit) for 6 days with insurance. all in the timing I guess. Seems the 'high demand vehicle' warnings I kept seeing are a clue to seek alternate options.
What time of year where you going to do this trip?

Pete C

Cannon Fodder
Derby is sweet. Come this October when the whole network opens there will be 2-3 days of riding without repeating trails, including what I expect to be the best: a trail from the top of the teirs to Weldborogh, linking to Atlas.

+1 for Vertigo if you are looking for bike hire and shuttles. Not sure how it compares to NZ, haven't been there yet. Bike suggestions are good, a balanced all rounder, there is enough climbing to keep you honest, but descents demand a dropper and a little travel to maximise fun.

Stredda

Yep the full Blue Tier Descent will be epic if Big Chook is anything to go by.