Tasmania Tour?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am doing a trip around Tasmania in the next few weeks and would love some ideas for mtbing as I go around. What are the 'must ride' trails in these areas?

I start in Devonport and head to Cradle Mtn for one day. Then to Strahan for 2 days. Hobart for 4 days. Launceston for 2 days and back to Devonport.

Thanks in advance.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It looks like Stubbs Rd, Ulverstone is fairly popular. Penguin has a few options. Montezuma Falls at Roseberry and the 2012 Wildside Stage 7 course at Strahan should be done. I might stop at Little Pine Lagoon for an explore on the way to Hobart. The Nth-Sth Track and Glenorchy have been getting a bit of press lately. The Pipeline track has come up a few times. I really want to ride on Bruny Island and Maria Island. Then off to Launceston to ride Trevallyn and Kate Reed.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Did you just answer your own question?

Bumping this as the family and I will be doing a driving trip to Taswegia over Christmas. I will need to get away from them for a couple of days to restore sanity/prevent murder, so would like some ideas on where to ride for a couple of half days on my own, and maybe a couple of days where we can all hit some easy riding. I have a non riding wife, a 6yo and a 2yo (who will be lashed to the pannier on the ht).

We haven't planned the route yet so any info on riding will influence the itinerary.

Cheers for any advice.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you just answer your own question?

Possibly, but if anyone knows any better tracks I'm still keen to hear about them.

So far we've done Stubbs Rd - Ulverstone, Penguin MTB Park - Penguin, and Montezuma Falls - Rosebery.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Possibly, but if anyone knows any better tracks I'm still keen to hear about them.

So far we've done Stubbs Rd - Ulverstone, Penguin MTB Park - Penguin, and Montezuma Falls - Rosebery.

if you can get to do the trail between Trial Harbour (near Zeehan) and Granville harbour you won't regret it. Not single track, but one of the most spectacular bits of trail I have ever ridden. The hills will test the legs, the technical downs will test the skills and the views are to die for.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you can get to do the trail between Trial Harbour (near Zeehan) and Granville harbour you won't regret it. Not single track, but one of the most spectacular bits of trail I have ever ridden. The hills will test the legs, the technical downs will test the skills and the views are to die for.
That sucks. I did have that on the list originally but thought it might be a bit remote and long for the time available. I would have had to do it yesterday. :(

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
You are pretty well all over it with your second post!! The Pipeline track is very easy, as in would suit most who can keep a bike upright!

Also around Hobart, Belbins Road has been worked on a lot lately, and although still bedding in is being raved about!!

Friends have spoken highly of the trevallyn track network in launceston and I have riden and loved Kate reed!

The north south track is very hard to beat! If you have a bike that can climb at all, it is easy enough to park at the top of Tolosa Street and ride up, makes the decent even more rewarding!

Radfords, s57, luge and a few others on the mountain are better done on a longer travel rig with shuttle assistance!

Let me know if you want more info!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are pretty well all over it with your second post!! The Pipeline track is very easy, as in would suit most who can keep a bike upright!

Also around Hobart, Belbins Road has been worked on a lot lately, and although still bedding in is being raved about!!

Friends have spoken highly of the trevallyn track network in launceston and I have riden and loved Kate reed!

The north south track is very hard to beat! If you have a bike that can climb at all, it is easy enough to park at the top of Tolosa Street and ride up, makes the decent even more rewarding!

Radfords, s57, luge and a few others on the mountain are better done on a longer travel rig with shuttle assistance!

Let me know if you want more info!
Thanks. We got home today!

Stubbs Rd, Ulverstone must be very underrated locally. I really liked the tracks there. Penguin was good, but obviously very short. Montezuma Falls was excellent. Super wet firetrail and 4wd track that was just a lot of fun. The 2012 Wildside Stage 7 course at Strahan should have been left off the list to do something else, it wasn't worth the damage to the bike. I didn't end up stopping at Little Pine Lagoon on the way to Hobart because the wife wanted to look around the city in the afternoon. The Nth-Sth Track was excellent, easily the best singletrack experience I had while in Tasmania. The Pipeline track didn't get done unfortunately, and I missed a trail around Claremont? Bruny Island was just firetrail, but it was a great ride and I think it has the potential to become a great mtb park like Rotorua with the soil type, terrain and flora. Maria Island was goo until French's Farm, after that it was a lot of sand out to Haunted Bay. The downhill on the way back from HB was worth it though. the trails around Launceston were too wet to ride, so I missed out on Trevallyn and Kate Reed.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Suitable for 6 yo on a 16-20" bike and the wife who moans a lot and me with the 2 yo strapped to the back of a HT?
I would say yes, on the understanding that your 6 yr old has good bike experience. The track is wide and the ride out is a gradual climb. A few obstacles you will encounter are a narrow but fully fenced bridge and a few steps in that vicinity.

I took my wife there for her first ride on a bike in over fifteen years and she really enjoyed it (has now progressed to the north south track).

One advantage is that you can just turn around at any time and "roll" back to the start!

Another ripper for little people/non confident wife is Risdon Brook Dam.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I would say yes, on the understanding that your 6 yr old has good bike experience. The track is wide and the ride out is a gradual climb. A few obstacles you will encounter are a narrow but fully fenced bridge and a few steps in that vicinity.

I took my wife there for her first ride on a bike in over fifteen years and she really enjoyed it (has now progressed to the north south track).

One advantage is that you can just turn around at any time and "roll" back to the start!

Another ripper for little people/non confident wife is Risdon Brook Dam.
Cheers mate should keep the wife off my back when I sneak of on my lonesome for the North south, and blue tier.