Tech Question - 10mm Front Axle

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I thought my novatec Diablo hubs came with a 10mm qr front axle and caps. I'm rethinking this now, maybe it's just a 9mm through axle? I'd go outside and check, but like, I'm comfy and it's cold out there

Surely someone out there makes an axle? Is someone proficient in the mystic art of google-fu?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For the through axle you could just buy another Hadley rear axle like you already have, buy yourself a die that matches the threads and cut new threads to make it a 10x100.
Seems pretty straight forward...

..And it could be your lucky day! Looks like Nathanm is selling one here in his garage sale. I even have a spare end nut i can post to you!

Last edited:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I thought my novatec Diablo hubs came with a 10mm qr front axle and caps. I'm rethinking this now, maybe it's just a 9mm through axle? I'd go outside and check, but like, I'm comfy and it's cold out there

Surely someone out there makes an axle? Is someone proficient in the mystic art of google-fu?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Haha, cheers yes a 9mm will work, but there's a bit of play. I'd like to avoid that play! There's a local bike shop who make bike parts, I'll have a chat with them!

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
For the through axle you could just buy another Hadley rear axle like you already have, buy yourself a die that matches the threads and cut new threads to make it a 10x100.
Seems pretty straight forward...

..And it could be your lucky day! Looks like Nathanm is selling one here in his garage sale. I even have a spare end nut i can post to you!
Wow, what a coincidence! Thank you so much, I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I can't believe you spotted the Hadley axle for sale, haha. I'll pm Nathan.

T-Rex

Template denier
Probably.. But fully loaded, 60-100km per day for 60 days, through salt, rain, dirt etc.. the wear on bike parts takes a whole new meaning, its that wear over time which you need to account for, and you don't want the risk of parts failure in a remote area.
Most of your risk is around getting water in bearings in this scenario. Anyway, give some thought to what's going to be easiest to replace/repair if you do have a problem out in the middle of nowhere. I believe this is why most serious 4wd people drive either Toyota or Nissan - parts availability.