Tell me about riding in Bright

slowmick

38-39"
When i put a punched a hole in my shin with a pedal at Baw Baw I wound up a Warragul Hospital. The registrar irrigated the wound and then pushed saline soaked balls of gauze into the hole clean it out. After that he asked if i wanted local anesthetic before stitches. he stitched up inside and out and at the end I had a 10mm bit of let over skin hanging out of the stitches. He asked if wanted it pushed in behind the stitches or cut off...

They knocked me out and put me in the operating theater to clean out my knee when i split that open. Got 3 nights in hospital.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
When i put a punched a hole in my shin with a pedal at Baw Baw I wound up a Warragul Hospital. The registrar irrigated the wound and then pushed saline soaked balls of gauze into the hole clean it out. After that he asked if i wanted local anesthetic before stitches. he stitched up inside and out and at the end I had a 10mm bit of let over skin hanging out of the stitches. He asked if wanted it pushed in behind the stitches or cut off...

They knocked me out and put me in the operating theater to clean out my knee when i split that open. Got 3 nights in hospital.
Bloody hell, you'd have been better off having a crack at it yourself!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah unfortunately Australia never trained enough medical students in the 80-90s and in its enthusiasm for more doctors 5-20 yrs ago ,madly imported lots of doctors some of whom were not up to standard .
the govt thought they would boost rural numbers but many drifted to the big cities.
At the time I went on the media calling it reverse foreign aid because Australia got these doctors for free and poor countries "trained "them.
Its alleged that corruption is rampant in some Asian medical schools eg cheating + bribery.
This is the result .
They are keen to stitch stuff cos it pays well whereas basic wound care doesnt.
I grew in regional town and rumors went around about the large medical clinics “chain stores”. They imported doctors from o/s and paid for their medical qualifications to be recognised in au (education, re-training etc). The deal in return was the docs had to stay in a regional area for x years and their pay was below par. As soon as the x years years were up the docs left for Melb or Syd and the chain stores rinsed and repeated. The whole thing was based on a business model to get the most out of medicare rather than health care. Dunno how true it all is but I know the o/s docs only ever stayed for 2-3 years before leaving..

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
To reply Moorey 1.most GP practices do stitches but some shouldnt
2. Kerplunk is right about that business model
  1. Thanks to Republican madness USA has the worst health care system in The OECD so dont compare.
  2. Many puncture wounds from mtbike injuries to the lower leg should not be sutured at all eg dirt, wood ,ragged undercut tears with a poor blood supply will just cause infection and fall apart.
.People have an exaggerated idea of what stitches actually do,a bit like their views on antibiotics.
Fuc#in software renumbered it but you get it.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I think they think the trails are better than they are, and that there isn't other options anywhere. Don't get me wrong, love me a hero/shred Kelly run, but $50 for a single trip?!
It's not really that bad is it. It only effects people who self shuttle.
You just have to have 3 people in your car for it to be significantly cheaper than the shuttle service. How many other bike parks in Vic can you self shuttle?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It's not really that bad is it. It only effects people who self shuttle.
You just have to have 3 people in your car for it to be significantly cheaper than the shuttle service. How many other bike parks in Vic can you self shuttle?
If you're going there for a day, no worries. But for a local wanting a quick run it's a kick in the teeth. Also less than ideal for a passer by or someone there for other reasons, that just wants a quick run before doing whatever it is they're there for.

Probably won't have a significant impact on the financially, people still gonna pay blue dirt for shuttles. But I reckon there will be an attitude shift towards the place, I know i'd look elsewhere despite my cousin's place being 10min away.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

climberman

Likes Dirt
It drastically impacts my likelihood of going there. Those prices are HUUUGGEE!

My Thredbo 365 pass is ~$800 and includes lifts summer and winter, swimming pool and showers (and a round of golf or an hour of tennis a day in summer and bobsled!)

For family travel these things are a huge consideration.