and do you think they improve the stiffness that would be
comparable to a 34 mm fork ?
as I'm thinking about a new set of forks, something with less
travel and less weight, currently have fox 36 160mm
Thanks Grant

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
5 sets....but can't honestly tell you if it makes a difference. Always sounded like marketing shite to me, but I love revs and lyriks, and the bulge is there.....and that's all I got to say about that.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I've had 32mm Revs with and without the bulge, and Fox 36's. The 36's were much stiffer than any of the Revs.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
the only reason I've got the 36's is thats what I had,
I don't really need them for what I ride , even if they
do stand up to a few off trail excursions(crashes) :)
but if I was starting from scratch I'd probably go for
a 140/150mm 34, if the" bulge"does bugger all, it's also
tough finding a fork with a straight steer, as someone
on here seems to be hoarding them :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've found the Marz 44 to be stiffer than a RS Rev WC with the power bulges. If you're after a 32mm fork the 44 is best. Unfortunately they only make them for hybrids now so you'd probably have to go second hand.

moorey

call me Mia
I've found the Marz 44 to be stiffer than a RS Rev WC with the power bulges. If you're after a 32mm fork the 44 is best. Unfortunately they only make them for hybrids now so you'd probably have to go second hand.
I've got 44's as well as all the revs. I don't ride hard enough to feel a difference.

Comparing 36 fox with 32 RS is hardly a fair fight. Compare the lyriks for something in the same league.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The missus seems to be pretty happy with my power bulge. Admittedly stiffness is not what it once was...

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
at last , the voice of reason :laugh:
I also know front axel plays a big part
in it as well as wheel stiffness,
does anyone even make 34mm straight forks
anymore?
that might have more of a bearing on what I get

Ivan

Eats Squid
at last , the voice of reason :laugh:
I also know front axel plays a big part
in it as well as wheel stiffness,
does anyone even make 34mm straight forks
anymore?
that might have more of a bearing on what I get
Why limit yourself to FOX (34mm), especially considering all the quality issues they've been having?

The Pike is 35mm.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anybody describe to me what "stiffness" is?
I'm talking about steering accuracy and brake feel, not a quantative measure. Using the same front wheel, brakes, frame, etc the RS Rev WC feels like it deflects off things more/looser/differently when riding compared to a Marz 44. There is an obvious difference in suspension feel, but that is not the sensation I'm referring to when describing the stiffness of the fork. Generally I won't notice until I swap between parts or bikes.

The best example I can think of is that I used to think my old Z1 Drop Offs were stiff enough, then rode a pair of 36s and the difference in stiffness was noticeable, in steering accuracy and braking.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the 'Power Bulge' was more about durability. I know they (RS) claim an increase is stiffness - but I doubt whether most of us would notice any difference. That said - I do honestly believe that the 'bulge' does increase a forks longevity.. Cheers :thumb:

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Only tapered though.
well that's poop!
it will definitely be a waiting game to try and get some
2nd hand ones, glad I'm not desperate for some.
trying to work out what best suites the type of riding I do is also
a tough one, maybe 32's with carbon wheels :laugh: will be the go.

moorey

call me Mia
well that's poop!
it will definitely be a waiting game to try and get some
2nd hand ones, glad I'm not desperate for some.
trying to work out what best suites the type of riding I do is also
a tough one, maybe 32's with carbon wheels :laugh: will be the go.
What riding do you plan? I don't have flex issues whatsoever, but I'm 70kg runty c$&t. My fucking fat fuck mate found them a bit noodley when he banged a set on the other day to replace his creaking 55 cr's.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Stiffness in this case is reduced deflection both Torsionally (twisting) and Longitudinally (Fore/aft).

Bugger about the pikes. These probably won't save you any weight.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/marzocchi-55-micro-switch-forks-2013/rp-prod106893
It's all a bit ethereal to me - but from your reply the only serious way to compare us to stick a weight On it while holding it still and directly compare real measurements of deflection. Given they are round I would suspect that torsional stiffness would be identical to longitudinal - although I suppose one leg could deflect more than the other.

I would bet pounds to peanuts though, that weight of the fork is the strongest correlation to stiffness ( not including air versus steel springs )