Terrorism: Paris, Syria, Turkey, Belgium, Florida......

golden path

Banned
All religions, except maybe Bhuddism, believe their religion is the one and only source of truth and that all other gods are false. If you're a Christian its in the 10 commandments. All religions have a base rule of be excellent to each other/your neighbour.

I reckon if you looked a little more widely you might find some Muslim academics and ex Muslims that have come to the view that Islam is not a religion of intolerance and violence. Your readings to date may be aligning with your already existing thoughts on the issue.
How many of the other religions are indulging in violence and terror attacks regularly, on a global level?

What do their texts say about non-believers?

All religions are equally worthless fantasies and control mechanisms in my eyes, but Islam is not largely harmless to non believers like most.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Got this on my Facebook feed, had a laugh.

islam.jpg

As others have pointed out being being tolerant of others, including Islam, does not make you pro-Islam, it simply makes you tolerant and not bigoted/racist/xenophobic.

John U

MTB Precision
How many of the other religions are indulging in violence and terror attacks regularly, on a global level?

What do their texts say about non-believers?

All religions are equally worthless fantasies and control mechanisms in my eyes, but Islam is not largely harmless to non believers like most.
I'm an atheist. I was raised christian but always had a lot of questions about its validity. At uni I studied geology which is the antithesis of religion. Although the decision was mostly made that was the final nail in the coffin of religion for me. So I agree with you on that.

Islam is largely harmless to huge majority of non believers. I am guessing that you don't have much interaction with Muslims. If you did I think I think you'd probably agree that the huge majority of Muslims are of no danger to anyone.

I'm an atheist. I was raised christian but always had a lot of questions about its validity. At uni I studied geology which is the antithesis of religion. Although the decision was mostly made that was the final nail in the coffin of religion for me. So I agree with you on that.

Islam is largely harmless to huge majority of non believers. I am guessing that you don't have much interaction with Muslims. If you did I think I think you'd probably agree that the huge majority of Muslims are of no danger to anyone.
Mostly harmless ?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
No. And neither did invading it.
The war on terror has proved to be as useful as the war on drugs
Always hard to know for sure - we don't have 2 timelines to follow to compare. In 2001 there were documents around that blamed 911 on the lack of response from the USA to the previous attacks - ie AQ was emboldened by the lack of response.

If that is the case, the non response just causes more attacks until you can't ignore it. It's very hard to deal with a group that seems to lack rationality and fear of annihilation.

Quite possibly the real thing wrong with Iraq was that it was both unjust (ie they weren't supporting terrorism) AND it failed to bring about its aims

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 10 commandments is fortunately part of the Old Testament, secondly Christianity, had Martin Luther, and down the track we have separation of church and state. Of course Christians like moderate Muslims apply their own ethics about unprovoked violence to stuff they read in their book.
"and God bless the United States of America". The US is having huge difficulty separating church and state. Abortion clinics are copping huge political pressure because they're non-christian. And 4/9 supreme court judges have had difficulty separating church and state (loaded statement I know).

Always hard to know for sure - we don't have 2 timelines to follow to compare. In 2001 there were documents around that blamed 911 on the lack of response from the USA to the previous attacks - ie AQ was emboldened by the lack of response.
Iraq wasn't really harbouring terrorists or threatening the terrorise the west. The reasons for invading were and will be shady.

We'll never know what could have been.. But I'd hedge a bet and say that a relatively secular tyrannical dictator still being in control would have resulted in less total deaths to now than the current shit storm we're in. This goes back to the discussion earlier in the thread....

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'm really unsure if you are taking the piss or not here, for that really reads like "my opinion is right, and you are simply wrong"

Whenever someone is sure, I am sure they don't really understand.
Depends in what camp you place yourself.

placebo

Likes Dirt
How.about Iran air 655. 3 July 88, guess that served the civilians right as well, america has never held anyone responsible for that, the world has never held them responsible for that. Just saying that it was def America that shot 655 down but the Ukraine its possible the Russian, the freedom fighters or Ukraine government did it. Double standard or what. Pleasant that you think the Russian civilians deserved to die in a terrorist attack, pretty twisted morality
The world held the US responsible for that, as they did Russia for the two KAL flights it shot down. But nothing happens, and the major players can shoot down civilian airliners with impunity, then complain with stark hypocrisy when they lose their own. The Vincennes shoot down was a major fuckup, but IIRC they quietly gave those in charge medals afterwards, and it definitely didn't hurt their careers, though someone tried to kill the captain's wife with a car bomb. It was a Russian BUK, it won't hurt the careers of those who shot MH-17 down, no more than those in ISIS who bombed the latest Russian flight.

golden path

Banned
Apparently the French cops have cornered a next of rats, and there's lead in the air.

Maybe some of those boys will meet their virgin goats today.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently the French cops have cornered a next of rats, and there's lead in the air.

Maybe some of those boys will meet their virgin goats today.
Maybe......but then someone will most likely just replace them. All previous poor attempts at trolling aside, this is what I find somewhat sad about this situation with IS. They seem unlikely to ever just even consider a peaceful solution. How exactly is it possible to eliminate their hatred for 'Infidels'?

golden path

Banned
News is saying two dead rats (one female blew herself up....) and three live captures. They'll be enjoying a long few days of interrogation. :)

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don't you share some highlights rather than force everyone here to Wade through so much stupid?
Just look at every post. Its the home of all the chain mails Johnny was talking about.

I swear I'm not only replying to you in this thread but you've said something that piqued my interest. I volunteer at a church and one of my mates there is about to start his internship as a coal mine geo. Churches can be repulsive to people who live in pure logic but that doesn't mean you can't believe in god. You can lead theology or a church from your own perspective.

Isis makes me want to be a christian. Even if god is an imaginary friend he trumps all other imaginary friends. Checkmate athiests.