Tharawal-Appin area

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been given permission to run regular maintenance days at Appin.

I'm planning on the 3rd Saturday of every month. If you're keen but can't make it on that day we can try to make it twice a month on the next most popular day.

There's not a whole lot that needs doing, mainly just putting in and tidying up drainage around the track.

Starting with the regular club loop, but then working on the Lost Track and eventually the extended loop I ride.

All are welcome. I'll see about getting some tools from WMBC, but if you want to bring your own that is good too.

More details as the next day gets closer.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
nice, will there be an email list or will you mainly use this thread ?

Add me on as an ad hoc drop in. (Soz)

chica

Likes Dirt
Hey Grant, great initiative :cheer2:
Have you given thought to maybe holding it on an alternative Saturday so not to clash with the Royal maintenance day?
Not that I have been to many days this year but I would like to be able to spread the maintenance love to both trails

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice, will there be an email list or will you mainly use this thread ?

Add me on as an ad hoc drop in. (Soz)
I'll try to keep everything updated here and on the Trailflix facebook page.

Hey Grant, great initiative :cheer2:
Have you given thought to maybe holding it on an alternative Saturday so not to clash with the Royal maintenance day?
Not that I have been to many days this year but I would like to be able to spread the maintenance love to both trails
It is the RNP Loftus days that inspired me to go for the 3rd Saturday of each month. I was driving 90km each way to attend those days and haven't been doing much locally so I figured I'd be better off putting my time into my local area again. It'll be a good opportunity for some RNP locals to get involved around Loftus too, and considering the turnouts to the RNP days this year I don't think the two track work days being the same will cause anyone any real issues. If we can get a second, reasonably popular day agreed upon I'm happy to do two a month at Appin. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went out on NY day, walked the track and did a general tidy up - clearing out some drains and getting sand off the track. That was just for the regular race loop plus Abbots Loop. It's looking pretty good. There were a few little spots that could do with some more work and my plan is to get out there this week, probably on the race day, take a few photos and mark the spots with the gps. Race day will give me the chance to talk to others and see what they think needs some work on for the maintenance day on the 21st.

I'd also like to fix up some of the signs - CAUTION, B LINE, etc - and with a new cnc router arriving at work in Feburary I should be able to get some longer lasting ones made up that don't look too bad.

I'll post up more info on the 15th after the club race. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The plan was to go out this morning before the club race, do a lap and take photos of the areas needing some work. It was pouring rain and the club round was cancelled. The first bit of singletrack from the carpark was extremely wet and the creek was rising. I'll go out first chance I get when the weather is a bit better to get things sorted out for next weekend's maintenance day.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Hey mate, thought I recognised some of your work when I was out there last week! Put me down on the list, although to be honest I'd also (like Chica) prefer a different day so I can spread my time between Appin and RNP. Catch you on the trails sometime soon! :biggrin:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, thought I recognised some of your work when I was out there last week! Put me down on the list, although to be honest I'd also (like Chica) prefer a different day so I can spread my time between Appin and RNP. Catch you on the trails sometime soon! :biggrin:
I'm happy to have a second day out there as well. Chuck some days at me when you're able to make it and I'll see if I can match them up. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I should be able to do other Saturdays, but might not be able to lock them in like I have with the 3rd. Give me a bit of warning when you're avaiable and we'll head out.

I'm just waiting for all the photos from this morning to upload and I'll bombard the thread with pics of some different bits I think need work.

This Saturday however, I think a walk around to clean up and open the drains with a McLeod and also trim back some branches with some garden shears is the best way to start things off.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Appin Race Loop Map

Here is the race loop (including Abbots Loop) map with my placemarks to match up to the following pictures from this mornings walk around.

I'll try to post up each photo in the order they appear when riding the loop. Starting at the Appin Race Loop Map tag.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Block

This is after the creek crossing and up the first climb. The sandy bit to the right was the original track that has not been used, except by motos, for a long time. It needs a few people to move some large rocks to block the start and finish to stop the motos getting on it.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Extra Track

Still on the first climb, the flat rock on the left of the track in the middle of the pic is the marker for a bit of singletrack that a mate and I put in last January when the motos were getting onto the tracks regularly. We wanted to make it too tight for them to enjoy so they'd turn around and eventually block off and bypass that ugly little climb. The second pic looks from the exit of the bit of track we put in to where it would start on the other side.

Marked out as of 24th January. Not built though.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drain

Still on the first climb.

This is a flat corner that had drainage but motos went through and ripped up the corner, making the tread lower than the ground around it so the drains don't work.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flat

On the second section of singeltrack, after the first climb and small fireroad section. It has become that wide because people ride around the puddle that forms. Drainage is possible, but would probably work best with a grade reversal at the exit of the corner and trying to build up the tread a bit.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Abbots Loop Flat & Abb Flat 2

Another two sections that needs some drainage put in, this time on the Abbots Loop track.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Low Corner

Out of Abbots Loop and turning right off the firetrail to get back onto the race loop singletrack.

Another low corner.