That gay marriage thing........

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There's a lot of press doing the rounds about gay marriage and if it has a place in Australia. I've looked on from afar on social media and all you hear is people's stupid brain's pouring their filth with maybe one in a hundred replies being of any worth.
I'd like to hear people's opinion's on the topic on this site as we are all able to discuss topic's of this nature with the for and against kind of things that make a discussion great so lets do it.
I'll start: I'm married to a beautiful woman, we have no children. We work hard, spoil ourselves and each other every chance we get and totally adore each other's company and are excited to even think about our partner. I've got close friends who are gay and in a relationship and have children and they have given that child the most adoring upbringing and the promise of a healthy future. For the record, I have no issue at all with gay marriage, I haven't ever been a person to giggle or jeer at a person for their preferences in who they are attracted to. Admittedly, I do use terms aligned with gay people in light hearted slurs at mates; for example: Telling a mate he's a homo for not going riding with the boys or someone is a gay lord for liking a certain band. I think nothing of it........................but some folks do. I am becoming more conscious of the slang and attempts at humor and can almost say now I rarely make a gag at someone and refer to them as a poof or a homo or whatever. Why? Well, it just isn't a thing to attempt to offend someone with or make someone giggle about it. I really don't give two shits for it.
Now, Australia is a young country compared to some other countries of the world that seem to advance their decisions a little differently. We are advanced though, we have some very modern ways of living compared to some places but we still have our differences. One of those, is the topic of gay marriage. I don't see the problems aligned with gay marriage, can anyone from either side of the fence enlighten me as to why gay marriage is something that a political party doesn't just say "meh, no big deal, pass that one thanks". Is it against the Christian upbringing thing that we act as though we are based on? Is it politicians being too old fashioned and doing what their Dad would've done back in 'Nam? Is it a legal issue where two loving adults can't have the same last name and share the same mail box? I really don't get it. Can it be something as lame as being seen as weak in our per's eyes because we let two people with bait and tackle get married and live happily ever after?
I'd like to hear from all comers, I have no idea why it would be seen as logical to make Australia vote on such a topic when it's something that has no apparent effect on a voter's existence if their neighbor's are two girls who love each other.
What is Australia's problem with gay marriage?

moorey

call me Mia
The problem is...That the conservative Christian minority right vote and their donations are too important to the Liberals.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The problem is...That the conservative Christian minority right vote and their donations are too important to the Liberals.
.....And once people realise that politics isn't about what the people actually want it makes things easier...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The issue is that we ARE discussing it, instead of politicians doing what they are elected to do and implement the changes needed to afford the basic right of being able to share your life with whoever you want.

All these plebiscites and postal votes are just distracting and demeaning. Marriage is a ridiculous institution, but denying it to anyone is completely unjust.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I just have a problem with the fact that this issue is bumping other more important issues out of the way. There is so much noise about it, it's drowning other topics.

I wish we'd just fucking get on with it & move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There are some very conservative folk in the Liberal Party and if they didn't threaten Turnbull in certain ways it would already have occurred. Politicians can make decisions against their base when they want to show real leadership - the Liberals and the Nationals did just that when it came to tightening gun laws after Port Arthur. Sometimes politicians will do the right thing even at cost to themselves, unfortunately Turnbull is not willing to do that right now and neither are many of his colleagues.

The idea that they went to an election on this and they have to stick to their commitments is a fair call, however it's not like it was a "core-promise" or anything*

The issue with gay marriage is a non-stater for for a liberal democracy like ours: one group of people want to do something that doesn't harm others and only has relevance to themselves (to put it another way, gay people getting married doesn't stop straight people getting married or impact their relationships in any way at all). Another group of people want to force their values and interpretation of marriage on everyone else.

A liberal democracy shouldn't even have to discuss this issue, equal rights and personal liberty is at the core of liberalism. It's just that the Liberals and Nationals have a bunch of ideologues and conservative Christians enforcing their values onto the whole country.

* those old enough will recall that John Howard broke election promises by claiming those he broke weren't "core promises". Others will recall "there will be no carbon tax under my government" along with "there will be no cuts to education, no cuts to the ABC....etc. and that politicians haven't seemed to be too concerned about breaking election promises in the past!

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
There's a lot of press doing the rounds about gay marriage and if it has a place in Australia. I've looked on from afar on social media and all you hear is people's stupid brain's pouring their filth with maybe one in a hundred replies being of any worth.
I'd like to hear people's opinion's on the topic on this site as we are...yadda,yadda,yadda..
Why is it even a question? I may be missing something, but as far as I can tell, gay marriage has zero impact on anyone who isn't in an homosexual relationship. I'm married, and I can't see any reason why you'd want to keep it as an exclusive club.

If anything, we should be legislating against bogan meatheads in wife beater singlets and c list celebrities from getting hitched, they're doing more to "ruin the sanctity of marriage" than any number of our 'fabulous' friends. I'm sure if golden showers was still around he could chime in with a wonderfully cognizant argument on how a same sex couple getting the same legal rights as the rest of us "normals", is somehow impinging on his basic human rights, but as he isn't here, I just have to go with my initial assumption that the Liberals are a bunch of right wing lunatics or gutless toadies.

The fact that Uber religiously nutty Ireland and the ultright redneck US* both have gay marriage laws, show what a crappy little backarsewards relic, Australia is...

*although, the direction, ole mate seems to be heading in, they could have laws against homosexuality, along with slavery and witch burnings reinstated within the next 4 years.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The delay tactics are simply because the religious sector are desperately trying to convince people that they have any remaining relevance, but really only further proving how out of touch with reality they are.

The reason why it's being made such a big deal is because in a supposedly modern, forward-thinking, broad-minded and accepting society, it's just about the last thing that flagrantly flies in the face of just about every anti-discrimination law in the country. On that basis alone the current law should be unconstitutional and repealed immediately.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The delay tactics are simply because the religious sector are desperately trying to convince people that they have any remaining relevance, but really only further proving how out of touch with reality they are.
Delaying tactics like this are an indication of an already lost battle. Unless they are delaying for some kind of shift that has an actual timeline attached to it (the second coming, maybe?) then it's really a losing strategy that might keep their base but will really damage them longer-term with overall relevance and the tolerance of the general electorate. Especially those on both sides who say that regardless of the outcome of any plebiscite they will vote on their conscience anyway. kinda makes a plebiscite a bit of a waste of time and money...., lots of money.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I think Margaret Court summed it up best, when she said, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL, LET ME TOUCH YOUR KIDDIES!"

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Its going to happen eventually anyway.
Conservative Christians and silly liberals just dragging their feet.
its a pity its such a distraction as there are more important issues.
Postal vote is such a wank.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Extreme procrastination is making this government look more and more out of touch.

Gay marriage shouldn't even be an issue, everyone has the right to commit to forever. Way more important issues to take the spotlight.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If gay marriage is such a threat to institution and tradition, perhaps those opposed should clean their own house first and ban divorce.

This is no different to interracial marriages that were outlawed not so long ago, and you wouldn't find many willing to stick their head up in support of that nowadays.

When you think of some of the countries we see as more religious and conservative like Ireland and Mexico passing it without major incident, it's a pretty dismal reflection on Australia. Supposedly an egalitarian place with a "fair go" attitude.

The whole idea that we need to have a 'debate' on the topic is fucking pathetic.

Maybe in return we can have a 'debate' about the tax-free status of the church?

dej

Likes Bikes
I wish they'd just f'n get on with it, no stupid postal votes, debates and whatever..
If i took this long to make a fucking decision at work, i'd have been fired ages ago. Makes me angry my tax is paying these mongs.

Ps, I'm all for it and agree that there's a shit load of more important stuff worth talking about so lets just get it done and move on

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You've been married long enough when you've had to return the plastic sheeting and a shovel to Bunnings when you changed your mind.
That just sounds like you lack commitment. Probably why the marriage got into strife in the first place.

As for gay marriage... Fuck, I'm not sure I can even be bothered coming up with a decent argument... Who gives a shit? What we really care about is a bunch of ignorant small minded fuckheads and their puritanical ideas being foisted on us, its not actually gay marriage itself thats the issue for me.

If people want to get married, knock your socks off. So long as I get an invite to a couple for the free booze and a feed, its all good.