That gay marriage thing........

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Again, no words.....

Australians have 15 days to register to vote in the same-sex marriage postal plebiscite.

The ABC has learnt the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) will tomorrow announce that the last day Australians will be able to register to vote is August 24, 15 days from Wednesday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...l-plebiscite-15-days-to-enrol-to-vote/8791312
If you are on the electoral role you are already enrolled. So, people who have changed address since last election or come of age need to update their details or enrol to have a say. Same as when an election is called, this brings on a cutoff date for enrolment.

moorey

call me Mia
Can we stop calling is gay marriage? It's very divisive. Even same-sex marriage is unnecessary.
It's just marriage equality.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Great, I'll see you there! :hug:
Unfortunately all reservations are taken for the foreseeable future by Pell & Co

moorey
Can we stop calling it gay marriage? It's very divisive. Even same-sex marriage is unnecessary.
Yup end of 'debate' really.
I'm told my job for today is help get just turned 18 daughter registered so she can participate.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Even same-sex marriage is unnecessary.
Is it really though? None of the people I know that are impacted seem to sweat the nomenclature.

More than happy to be corrected but would prefer it to come from some one at the centre of the issue rather than others acting on their behalf.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If you are on the electoral role you are already enrolled. So, people who have changed address since last election or come of age need to update their details or enrol to have a say. Same as when an election is called, this brings on a cutoff date for enrolment.
Ah, good. Thought we had to register especially for it.

How are they going to stop fraud in this gig? Can't some one just photocopy a huge amount of ballots and send them in on behalf of other folk?

moorey

call me Mia
Is it really though? None of the people I know that are impacted seem to sweat the nomenclature.

More than happy to be corrected but would prefer it to come from some one at the centre of the issue rather than others acting on their behalf.
Do we call it 'same/mixed race marriage' (interracial marriage) or 'same/mixed religion marriage' (inter-faith)?
Sure, some do/wil, but they are the ones who are fighting to hold all the cards still. Completely irrelevant in this day and age.
Anecdotally, my friends who this impacts on have only ever called it 'marriage equality', but happy for others to chime in. It's semantics, I know, but I still think the language is divisive.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Fucked if I know why any straight person thinks we would or should have a say. Marriage pre-dates religion...unless you're a young earth creationist or biblical literalist. Religion just claimed it, like it does with almost everything, then tries to control it.
Stupid woman I work with was spouting off today, ranting that her church will be FORCED to marry 'the gays'. I think she's secretly 'Merican.
I personally don't want to validate this postal vote with a reply...because it's none of my business....it's nobody's business. Trouble is, I know the Christian lobbyists will get their base out on the voluntary vote, and sway the results to not reflect how the average, lazy, complacent Aussie feels.
I hate the idea that anyone needs to ask my permission to be happy, but I'll damn well be voting Yes, because the people who want to keep treating gay people like second-class citizens will definitely be voting No.

moorey

call me Mia
I hate the idea that anyone needs to ask my permission to be happy, but I'll damn well be voting Yes, because the people who want to keep treating gay people like second-class citizens will definitely be voting No.
Much more succinct than my rant. Thanks Rob.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Can we stop calling is gay marriage? It's very divisive. Even same-sex marriage is unnecessary.
But isn't that the change?

Equality seems a bit vague and could be misconstrued to encompass many things not on the table or that should never be on the table.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, as much as I don't want to give this stupid shit any legitimacy it will be even worse if we all sit it out and hand the naysayers a win. The only other thing would be to bring millions out onto the street to voice their boycott in numbers much, much greater than the no vote. And that's not going to happen so you have to be in it to win it even if it is a total farce.

moorey

call me Mia
But isn't that the change?

Equality seems a bit vague and could be misconstrued to encompass many things not on the table or that should never be on the table.
Is this that American argument where the slippery slope will lead to us all marrying apples?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm all for gay marriage, marriage equality whatever you guys decide.

But can someone tell me what this is exactly about. Not the politics but what is actually being fought for. Is it:
- A title and being able to say on forms and stuff that you are 'married'
- Tax implications of marriade vs defacto vs whatever other categories
- Legal status like the power of attorney, inheritance, medical stuff etc.
- All of the above?

What changes if true equality is achieved? Forgive my ignorance but I struggle to see what difference is.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Is this that American argument where the slippery slope will lead to us all marrying apples?
Yeah, dumb fucks will argue that indeed. I certainly wouldn't but for the sake of clarity, it's worth being specific.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I'm all for gay marriage, marriage equality whatever you guys decide.

But can someone tell me what this is exactly about. Not the politics but what is actually being fought for. Is it:
- A title and being able to say on forms and stuff that you are 'married'
- Tax implications of marriade vs defacto vs whatever other categories
- Legal status like the power of attorney, inheritance, medical stuff etc.
- All of the above?

What changes if true equality is achieved? Forgive my ignorance but I struggle to see what difference is.
My understanding is, it means that same-sex couples will be able to legally marry, with all the rights that opposite-sex married couples currently have.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, dumb fucks will argue that indeed. I certainly wouldn't but for the sake of clarity, it's worth being specific.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Agreed, political correctness for the sake of it can cause problems. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to not offend, not marginalise, include and just be nice and all but I'd prefer to be strategic about achieving the preferred end state and then worrying about the details later than being pedantic about stuff now that will make the big fish harder to fry.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It is mind boggling how easily, political parties and governments can contradict themselves to serve their agendas.

It was only back in 2004, that the Howard government rushed (and I mean inconceivably fast for politics) through, within an hour of announcing, and with bipartisan support from the ALP, an amendment to the 1960's marriage act, to ban same sex marriage.

No plebiscite, no election mandate, no public consultation. And all the reasons given are pretty much the opposite for why we need this bullshit cluster fuck we are going through now.

The amendment act as it was first tabled, and subsequently enacted without change: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/bill/mlab2004287/

MARRIAGE LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL 2004

2002-2003-2004

The Parliament of the
Commonwealth of Australia

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Presented and read a first time

Marriage Legislation Amendment Bill 2004

No. , 2004

(Attorney-General)

A Bill for an Act to amend the Marriage Act 1961 and the Family Law Act 1975, and for related purposes

Contents

A Bill for an Act to amend the Marriage Act 1961 and the Family Law Act 1975, and for related purposes

The Parliament of Australia enacts:

1 Short title

This Act may be cited as the Marriage Legislation Amendment Act 2004.

2 Commencement

(1) Each provision of this Act specified in column 1 of the table commences, or is taken to have commenced, in accordance with column 2 of the table. Any other statement in column 2 has effect according to its terms.

Commencement information

Column 1

Column 2

Column 3

Provision(s)

Commencement

Date/Details

1. Sections 1 to 3 and anything in this Act not elsewhere covered by this table

The day on which this Act receives the Royal Assent.

2. Schedule 1

The day after this Act receives the Royal Assent.

3. Schedule 2

The 28th day after the day on which this Act receives the Royal Assent.

Note: This table relates only to the provisions of this Act as originally passed by the Parliament and assented to. It will not be expanded to deal with provisions inserted in this Act after assent.

(2) Column 3 of the table contains additional information that is not part of this Act. Information in this column may be added to or edited in any published version of this Act.

3 Schedule(s)

Each Act that is specified in a Schedule to this Act is amended or repealed as set out in the applicable items in the Schedule concerned, and any other item in a Schedule to this Act has effect according to its terms.

Schedule 1—Amendment of the Marriage Act 1961

1 Subsection 5(1)

Insert:

marriage means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.

2 At the end of section 88B

Add:

(4) To avoid doubt, in this Part (including section 88E) marriage has the meaning given by subsection 5(1).

3 After section 88E

Insert:

88EA Certain unions are not marriages

A union solemnised in a foreign country between:

(a) a man and another man; or

(b) a woman and another woman;

must not be recognised as a marriage in Australia.

Schedule 2—Amendment of the Family Law Act 1975

1 After subsection 111C(4)

Insert:

(4A) However, regulations made for the purposes of this section must not facilitate, or provide for, the adoption of a child by 2 persons of the same sex who live together as a couple.

2 At the end of Division 3 of Part XIIIAA

Add:

111CA Certain international adoptions not allowed

A person (including an officer of a State or Territory) must not, for the purposes of:

(a) the Convention on Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption signed at The Hague on 29 May 1993; or

(b) a bilateral agreement or arrangement on the adoption of children made between a State or Territory and an overseas jurisdiction;

facilitate, or provide for, the adoption of a child by 2 persons of the same sex who live together as a couple.

Interesting to note, that the primary amendment, as per Schedule 1, annuls every single marriage performed in this country, while divorce is legal. It quite clearly stipulates that marriage is for life, so while divorce is an option, no marriage can be guaranteed to be for life.

Then pretty much everything little Johnny said at the press confrence announcing it is the opposite of what we're hearing now: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/27/1085461876842.html

From SMH May 27 2004

Mr Howard said the Marriage Act would be changed to include a definition of marriage as the `voluntarily entered-into union of a man and a woman to exclusion of all others'.

``We've decided to insert this into the Marriage Act to make it very plain that that is our view of a marriage and to also make it very plain that the definition of a marriage is something that should rest in the hands ultimately of the parliament of the nation,'' Mr Howard told reporters.

''(It should) not over time be subject to redefinition or change by courts, it is something that ought to be expressed through the elected representatives of the country.''

``As far as the other measures are concerned, the government takes the view that not only is it a statement of its attitude towards marriage but it's also a necessary assertion by the parliament of the country above all others to define what is regarded in our community what is a marriage.''

And no argument from the ALP: http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/bd/bd0405/05bd005#Purpose

From the Parlimentry Bills Digest No. 5 2004–05

Government

The Government s haste to have the current Bill passed appears to be linked to two applications filed in court to have same sex marriages performed within the laws of another country recognised under Australian law(2). This Bill amends the Marriage Act 1961 to prevent the recognition of same-sex marriages in Australia, even where the marriage has been performed under the laws of another country which does recognise this type of union.

In addition the Government has also indicated that the need for Parliament to give its immediate attention to the current Bill is related to expressions of significant community concern about the possible erosion of the institution of marriage (3). It is the Attorney-General s opinion that Parliament s quick action is needed to address these community concerns.

ALP commitments

The Marriage Amendment Bill 2004 contains those provisions of the Marriage Legislation Amendment Bill 2004 which the Australian Labor Party stipulated it would support in a press release issued on 1 June 2004(4). Shadow Attorney-General, Nicola Roxon MP, reiterated during the second reading of the current Bill that the Labor Party would agree to the measures it contains. However, the Party expressed reservations about the process on two grounds. The first, questioned the Government s claims that the issue of gay marriage was of such major community concern that it warranted the need to be dealt with urgently. The second raised the point that the first Bill has already been referred to a Senate committee, the report from which is yet to be released(5).

The Greens

The Greens have labelled both the current and the first Bill discriminatory against the gay and lesbian community and condemned both the Government and the Labor Party for failing to acknowledge the change, within present day society, in the make up of couples(6). In the House of Representatives, Greens MP, Michael Organ introduced amendments to the current Bill which included provisions that acknowledged gay and lesbian unions within the definition of marriage and also the recognition of such unions as marriages in Australia regardless of whether they were performed in a foreign country. These amendments were not adopted and the current Bill passed the House of Representatives unchanged.

Fucking cock swallowers!

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And the libs most likely will get thrown out next election and labor will just legalise ss marriage in their first week if the postal waste of time goes "no".