That gay marriage thing........

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
With football season over and the cricket not yet happening Australians need a sport to fill the void. Odd that something we aren't particularly good at.
Nah, its a (dare I say it) "hipster" thing to do. In rebellion to established codes in Aus. Same thing happening in the US - Portland types getting all amped up about US soccer.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
The obscure distraction is religious rights...
Absolutely - and absolute bullshit...

Personally, I cannot for the life of me understand why ANY organisation (least of all religion) should be legally allowed to discriminate based on their beliefs. There are of course members of the LGBTI community who consider themselves Christian (despite the apparent "incompatibilities") - why should it be in any way acceptable for a priest to say they cannot be married in a church by a minister? How is minister's beliefs more important than another human's rights?

It is time that all religions realise their place in this world, and that they are no longer in any position to be demanding we run our lives to appease their bullshit. Believe all you want, preach all you want, but DO NOT use your beliefs as an excuse to either deny someone something, or require others to live by your rules.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah, its a (dare I say it) "hipster" thing to do. In rebellion to established codes in Aus. Same thing happening in the US - Portland types getting all amped up about US soccer.
Nah the hipsters are embracing ye olde real footballs. But in a ye olde way...moustache, mullet, tins of vb, and stubbies. Just like most people did in the 80s.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
With football season over and the cricket not yet happening Australians need a sport to fill the void. Odd that something we aren't particularly good at.
Referring to soccer as sport is trolling. Seeing who can be the biggest pussy on a soft grass field with a soft ball and no skills whatsoever is laughable. Surely people watching that shit are rum drinkers who go to get bored with the zero amount of action on the field and create their own by either dry rooting each other or open-fist slapping each other "for something to do". It's worse than bloody AFL.

I had a guy say to me yesterday after the announcement of the poll results that "the world will be a worse off place tomorrow mate". Legit, he said that. I asked him why and he scoffed, saying "all the fucking poofs are gonna get their way with anything they want now, you just bloody watch 'em". I laughed and saw a chance to further enhance my gigglefest and asked what it is that he reckons "the poofs" will get that isn't actually a legal thing yet. His reply "Fuck mate, they'll get their own gay schools, gay buses, bloody gay prisons!". I couldn't help myself, this is the same guy who rear ended a car while he was taking a photo on his phone of a guy in another car using his phone so he could get him charged only to have the rear facing camera on the car he hit have him charged with neg driving. He argued it in court and his claim was "It was fuckin' okay to use my phone when I got my license back in the day". He used the same sort of reference to finish his story about "the poofs" saying there were no bloody poofs around when he was a kid, it's just a bloody thing these Religion nutter's have dreamed up in the last ten years.
True story. The guy looks like Ivan Milat except he's going bald and has ten fingers. He's a classic.

Beej1

... "Fuck mate, they'll get their own gay schools, gay buses, bloody gay prisons!".
There's no helping some folk. I've e-conversed with a few folk in an off-roading forum who talk similarly of homosexuals/homosexuality. They'll raise their kids to think/talk the same, and so on ...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Far out! I hadn't expected the media to littered with so much sensationalised, exaggerated, repetitive, cliche ridden reporting on this. Page after page after page of it in the Sydney Morning Herald. It read like the bosses handed out a writing guide to all journalists with words and phrases that must be used.
I liked the analysis on abc radio this morning about how each electorate voted and what can be taken from it, mainly western sydney.
The whole political election cycle revolves around winning the marginal seats in Western fucking Sydney. So we end up with BS policy and rhetoric from both sides of politics to appease electorates that turn out to be the most conservative and intolerant people in Australia (on this issue).
The abc also gently touched on the issue of immigration and the sort of beliefs we are importing into the country. Also how new Australian's are welcomed and their culture is respected but it appears the same isn't shown by them when it comes to gays and same sex marriage..
I don't think we can draw to many conclusions from one vote on one social issue. But... considering how heavily they voted 'no' and how far out of touch they are with the rest of Australia, government's should not be tailoring social policy to win votes in that part of the world..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
There's no helping some folk. I've e-conversed with a few folk in an off-roading forum who talk similarly of homosexuals/homosexuality. They'll raise their kids to think/talk the same, and so on ...
Licenses for children...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Beej1

Licenses for children...
I've been a fan of this idea for quite some time. Married to someone who works in drug and alcohol rehab, I've heard some truly horrific stories, and it's such a never ending cycle.

There's no way it will ever happen though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Good that this is over... I didn't care either way but hated the fact that if you had any opinion but 'yes'... you were a bigot.

Now they can get back to proper shit like squabbling over pollies with dual citizenships.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Glad its nearly over w a good result.
Licences to have children is a good idea but wont happen this century.
Sometimes the poorest , dumbest ,dysfunctional parents have the most children instead of a job and live on the welfare.
Note according to the dumb US spell check on this forum, license is the correct spelling for the noun or verb.
But just think of all the money the government could make from child licences , fines for non renewal or rooting unlicenced,?
Also charge for the air we breath by the litre.
Well the Kennett govt in Vic tried to sell us the strips of land called water races which crossed our farm land .They were left over from the Gold rush 19th century and are theoretically crown land. A creative way to make money.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Bah not controversial enough. How about population control...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Depends what form of population control you’re talking about. Limiting the number of children people can have and who is eligible to have them, or killing off those deemed unfit to participate in functional society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Killing off is such a harsh way of expressing it. We prefer to say neutralising the individual threat to our societal balance.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Good that this is over... I didn't care either way but hated the fact that if you had any opinion but 'yes'... you were a bigot.
I've struggled with this, I am trying to have respect for the no side but I have a problem I can't get over:

If you don't like gay marriage, that's cool, you don't have to like it and no one will force you to do it.

But why would you stop other people from doing it? That actually seems like a real prick of a thing to do, forcing other people to live by your own likes and dislikes.

Isn't that almost the definition of bigotry?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
definitely obligatory population control will have to happen in the next 100 years if humans are to survive.
Anyway gay marriage is good for population control.

Last edited: