That time you'd accepted you were dead...

Beej1

I can defintely see how people die playing that game.
My only concussion was my last game of league. Unofficial Belconnen McDonalds staff vs Belconnen Pizza Hut staff game.

I remember the whistle going, running for a bit, then it's a black hole until I was vomiting in the toilet at work 6 hours and 4 car trips (I drove, with passengers) later.

Social touch footy/Austag from then on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Stuck on a rock face for two hours with only finger tips and toes having purchase, still unsure how I got off
I've been trying to figure that out too. With your hands busy, and unable to use a foot either, I'm guessing you must have dry humped the rock to get off.

I've had quite a few but the one that will haunt me till the day I die was flying in the air after sliding a moto sideways over a cliff face in a quarry. It was close to a 6 meter drop, I had thought at the time that it would have been my last breath of life

In my last remaining seconds in the world I decided to write one last farewell song to the world....

If you can't hold your load, just skip to 2:55.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I think you need be on drugs to listen to something like that.

Anybody want a pickle ???
That brings back memories. Parents had the record with Alice’s Restaraunt, a 18 minute satire song, The Motorcycle Song and the rest of the album was reasonably normal for a 60s album.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've seen him live. While not a life altering gig, it was quite enjoyable. Focus on the story...you know the pickle.

got charged by a black rhino whilst on a safari walk in South Africa. I'll copy and paste what I wrote on Facebook after the event.

day two of our safari tour, and we started with an early morning bush walk. the first 95% of the walk was very uneventful, and we spotted hippos in the distance, dung beetles doing their thing, jackals, zebras and impalas.

whilst nearing our vehicles for our return journey, we saw a rhino in the background. it was less than 30 metres away. what ensued was a tense ten minute session of actively avoiding it, being silent, actively avoiding it again, being silent, then avoiding it some more, getting charged by the rhino, having the ranger fire his rifle as a warning shot (after having the first round jammed, clearing the jam, chambering in another round, falling down and having the rhino come up to within three metres of him), everyone making a hasty retreat towards the Land Cruisers, and having the same rhino outflank us and almost charging us whilst we were in the Land Cruiser.

as if having our safari/accommodation/day tour cancelled on us initially from a bankrupt company wasn't a good enough story to tell our grandchildren, we've been given this gem. win bloody win.

we're fine, although Jasmine did take a fall from being pushed from behind by people who were panicking and running. all up, we're fine. what an experience!

in other news, we asked the ranger if this has ever happened to him. he said that he's been in situations with elephants, lions and buffalo. now, he's got a rhino to add to his collection of close animal encounters. four of the big five, although the leopard probably isn't the sort of creature that will charge anybody.

edit: we found out later that the rhino that charged us is named Zulu. Zulu is a black rhino, and has had a history of being rather antagonistic with humans. apparently, a previous ranger had tried to shoot a tranquilizer at Zulu, and it clipped him in the ear. we also found out from another ranger that he had a "selfie" taken with Zulu (by selfie, I really mean Zulu was about twenty metres away, and said ranger was..... at the bottom left hand corner). another group that had done the morning bush walk the following day did not encounter Zulu, although their rangers reckoned that Zulu was actually tracking them when the walk entered Zulu's territory.

many discussions ensued from this encounter, and we came to the conclusion that where we were walking was in the direct path of Zulu trying to get to the watering hole. since Zulu thought we were clearly threatening his only access to water, he decided to be antagonistic.... which resulted in our experience.

long story short? don't piss a black rhino off!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Have had a couple:
• Camping near Mt Bogong on a saddle in a storm. My mate and I got caught in a storm while on a 3 day ride and had to set up camp in amongst some huge gum trees. Not the ideal location but it was the best we could manage at the time. About 2am that night I woke up and sat bolt upright after hearing a massive crack and then a groan. Pretty much resigned myself to the fact I was about to be flattened by a 2m diameter gum tree. The tree fell away from us down the hill, landed shaking the ground and brought down 2 or 3 others with it. Definitely the closest call I've had with trees.
• Another tree incident. Sitting out in my backyard in Sydney. Heard a crack, instinctively jumped up and ran, only to have a large branch fall on the table and chairs I was sitting at and crush them moments later.
• Held at knife point in the kitchen by my drug fucked housemate, escaping only to witness 2 of them try to kill each other with a samurai sword.
• Coming face to face with a wolf while camping under the stars in the Pyrenees near Andorra earlier this year.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a real shit my pants moment today. I decided to shred down an isolated trail with speed, in the corner of my eye I noticed a heap of leaves moving on the trail in front me and as I approach closer I can see a snake's tail. By the time I'm up beside it I've moved the same side leg up off the pedal as the snake and in the confusion of everything happening so fast the other leg is still pedalling. Just before I pass the snake's head it stands up and has a few fast strikes at me then I look down and see blood on the the back of my calf muscle. While trying not to panic, I have a closer look and realise it's just where the pedal has tagged me on the back of the leg.

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
France earlier this year. I was decending in the rain and lost the pack as I was stuck behind some traffic. I was enjoying trying to keep up with the quicker decenders in the group and was starting to brake later and getting more confident. The problem was the road was wet and I began to brake waaaay too late...cue that horrible feeling I was going down on a bend at 5O kmph amongst traffic. Made the decision to go wide and blind into the bend on the wrong side of the road.
Managed to thread the proverbial eye of a needle between an oncoming motorhome and the guard rail then gave the brakes a decent squeeze and shot back across to the right side of the road in front of a motorcyclist. Pulled up shaking and more than a little freaked out. The guard rail was there to prevent vehicles dissapearing off a cliff and I would have hit the motorhome with a combined impact speed of about 100kmph.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
France earlier this year. I was decending in the rain and lost the pack as I was stuck behind some traffic. I was enjoying trying to keep up with the quicker decenders in the group and was starting to brake later and getting more confident. The problem was the road was wet and I began to brake waaaay too late...cue that horrible feeling I was going down on a bend at 5O kmph amongst traffic. Made the decision to go wide and blind into the bend on the wrong side of the road.
Managed to thread the proverbial eye of a needle between an oncoming motorhome and the guard rail then gave the brakes a decent squeeze and shot back across to the right side of the road in front of a motorcyclist. Pulled up shaking and more than a little freaked out. The guard rail was there to prevent vehicles dissapearing off a cliff and I would have hit the motorhome with a combined impact speed of about 100kmph.
Fark! that's a brown bibshorts moment. :eek:

mtb1611

Seymour
Riding to work one day early in my cycling career (and actual career come to think of it) circa 1992/1993 along the Hume Highway at Casula. The overhanging foliage of a small tree on the pavement had begun to encroach on the road and one morning as I approached it I glanced over my right shoulder to see if I could move out slightly to go around it. No dice, a semi was coming so I stupidly took my chances and accelerated in an effort to plough through the overhanging branch. The impact was more considerable than I'd estimated and I hit it just as the semi passed by me. I bounced off the tree onto the semi.....to this day I'm ot sure if the end of my bars hit the actual tyre of the semi or the wheel guard but either way, had i not made contact I would've gone straight under the wheels.
Since then I always give way to plants.
Addendum: just occurred to me that I've never told anyone that story, ever.