The “Flying with a downhill bike” thread

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
Hey T-Rex,

I'm flying Air NZ from ADL>VYR and have way too much to bring (one way flight).

These policies seem to change every time I fly. Do AirNZ allow bike boxes weighing more than 23kg nowadays? Any idea what the price is? I can't bloody work it out.

Between my wife and I we are bringing 3 bikes, an extra set of wheels, 2 full face helmets, 2 open face helmets, bit of armour, snowboarding boots, snow clothes, bike clothes, every day clothes, etc. :tsk:

I'm Velocity Silver if that makes any difference, peaking that my Gold membership just expired! I was thinking about bringing the gold card along and seeing if they let it through but I imagine their systems integrate and they know not to let me take more on.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

will2

Likes Dirt
Digging up a bit of an old thread. Has anyone flown with Qantas link and carried a bike. The website seems to say there is no issue but I thought I'd check before buying tickets. The Toowoomba airport has just opened and keen to get up for a ride whilst the flights are cheap.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Just after some more info on bike bags...

I'm travelling to Europe for both work and play so will need to take quite a bit of luggage. I'm looking at buying a cheap bike bag (ie not a $400+ Evoc etc) to carry my bike. At the top of the list is the CRC bag at ~$100. It's cheap, padded with straps and has wheels, but is a little heavy at a claimed 6.7kg weight... which may or may not be accurate?

The other option is this Polaris cargo bag. It's about double the price but only a claimed 4.8kg's, which is great as it means 2kg's of other stuff or simply less weight to lug around. It does however lack internal straps, which is probably not an issue as my DH bike will likely be a very snug fit inside as it is.

Has anyone used any of these? I'll be taking a DH bike without tyres (buying those over there to save weight)

T-Rex

Template denier
Glad to see this thread in it's 10th year!

With Junior now doing some international races, we've had a couple more learning experiences to add to this thread:

Cling wrap your bike box.

Some friends didn't do this heading over to the Rotorua round earlier this year, and the bikes were left outside by the baggage handlers when a storm cell passed over Mascot. When they arrived in NZ, the boxes were basically paper mache.

I made up a dolly to tape to the box from a piece of scrap aluminium and $10 worth of parts from Bunnings, weight 0.5kg. You can usually get away with airport trolleys but a dolly makes it a lot more easy to maneuver. I see from the above post you can now buy these things. Definitely fits in the nice to have category. You can also run a strap around the middle of the box and carry it over your shoulder, I've done that a couple of times, it's OK for a short distance.