The best tubeless tyre for fast XC?

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
I had my first ride in almost 18 months a couple weeks ago up at Stromlo and pinched the inner tube, and the next ride (yesterday) out at Sparrow Hill did 16km and got another flat. I think it itime to go tubeless. The other problem is that I weigh between 125 and 130kgs.

I have heard I may need to ride with a little more pressure in my tyres, if I am able to go tubeless (weight in pounds divided by 7 + 1). I have also heard that due to my weight a broader tyre would be better. Currently riding 2.1 Maxxis Ardent Race on the back and I do not think my Anthem X1 is wide enough at the back to go above a 2.2 - is that .1"difference going to offer any extra benefit? On the front I am running a 2.1 Racing Ralph.

In making that leap to tubeless I was seeking some advice about what tyre on the front and which or what for the back. I have heard that the Racing Ralph will not transition so well to tubeless, and Maxxis is one of the best for the transition to tubeless.

Or do I just buy some heavy duty DH inner tubes.

Peace Out

frank_n

Likes Dirt
I rate Racing Ralph way above Maxis tyres.
I've been running Racing Ralph, Rocket Rons, Nobby Nics tubeless for 2yrs+. No more problems than any other tyres. I'm going to try a Hans Dampf on the front and keep a Racing Ralph on the rear.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I had my first ride in almost 18 months a couple weeks ago up at Stromlo and pinched the inner tube, and the next ride (yesterday) out at Sparrow Hill did 16km and got another flat. I think it itime to go tubeless. The other problem is that I weigh between 125 and 130kgs.

I have heard I may need to ride with a little more pressure in my tyres, if I am able to go tubeless (weight in pounds divided by 7 + 1). I have also heard that due to my weight a broader tyre would be better. Currently riding 2.1 Maxxis Ardent Race on the back and I do not think my Anthem X1 is wide enough at the back to go above a 2.2 - is that .1"difference going to offer any extra benefit? On the front I am running a 2.1 Racing Ralph.

In making that leap to tubeless I was seeking some advice about what tyre on the front and which or what for the back. I have heard that the Racing Ralph will not transition so well to tubeless, and Maxxis is one of the best for the transition to tubeless.

Peace Out
Both schwalbe (racing ralph) and Maxxis (e.g. ikon, ardent) make versions of their tyres that are 'tubeless ready' and 'UST'. Very few rims are UST and the tyres tend to be excessively heavy, but very puncture resistant if that is a key objective. Most people use a 'tubeless ready' type tyre nowadays which has a stronger/tighter bed to help it stay on the rim and a medium weight/strength sidewall and tread compound.

I would not hesitate to recommend either schwalbe or maxxis tyres, both are great quality - you just have to pick the right version to suit your purpose.

As to which tyre model to buy, that is a can of worms as everyone is different. If you are after wider tyres to allow you to run lower pressures then ideally you will want a rim with a decent width e.g. 21/22mm inner width, not some 18/19mm rims.

Without knowing you, I'd suggest a reasonable starting point as Maxxis Ikon 2.2 or 2.35 EXO TR rear and Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Schwalbe tyres initially seal far better than Maxxis. Both makes will mount on a rim using a track pump, Schwable are easier.

redbruce

Eats Squid

Peace Out
At that rider weight your best bet is to plan for a wheel upgrade to a wider (25mm +) rim and 2.35 tyres.

Irrespective, 2.1, unless at high pressure is marginal and at least 2.25 is warranted (you don't mention current pressure but will need to be 35+ for your weight and rocky conditions).

In my experience all tubeless ready tyres work well tubeless (irrespective of brand but non TR ready is patchy).

I advise heavy wall (eg Schwalbe snake wall) as a minimum.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd also recommend the Bontrager team issue tyres. They're tubeless ready and seem to cope with my 100kgs admirably.
Try the XR2 / XR3 on front, and XR1 / XR2 rear depending on if you want more grip / traction.

Nice rolling, they grip well (I find) and very puncture resistant. They also have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Maxxis Ardent / Ikon are good too.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Aint no way I can afford new rims

At that rider weight your best bet is to plan for a wheel upgrade to a wider (25mm +) rim and 2.35 tyres.

Irrespective, 2.1, unless at high pressure is marginal and at least 2.25 is warranted (you don't mention current pressure but will need to be 35+ for your weight and rocky conditions).

In my experience all tubeless ready tyres work well tubeless (irrespective of brand but non TR ready is patchy).

I advise heavy wall (eg Schwalbe snake wall) as a minimum.
Whilst I would love to buy new wider rims, it aint going to happen. I believe my rims are 19mm (Giant PX-2 29er). I will go to Pushys tomorrow pick something up and get a friend to help with the transition. Does not look to hard....... I hope.

Oh and I currently pump the tyres up to 40 (with inner tubes).

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
I'd also recommend the Bontrager team issue tyres. They're tubeless ready and seem to cope with my 100kgs admirably.
Try the XR2 / XR3 on front, and XR1 / XR2 rear depending on if you want more grip / traction.

Nice rolling, they grip well (I find) and very puncture resistant. They also have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Maxxis Ardent / Ikon are good too.
Bontrager - Ön The Rivet in Phillip sells this brand - yer - 30 Guarantee sounds to good to miss

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
I have also heard that due to my weight a broader tyre would be better.
Not necessarily true....I am about 115 and a while back I tried some Maxxis 2.0 UST Larsen TT and found I could run lower pressures than a Schwalbe 2.4 rock razor on the rear.

My thoughts are the smaller volume tyre is like running a volume spacer in your shock, it causes the pressure to ramp up quicker.

The only reason I switched back to the rock razor was the wet season has begun up here and I needed a bit more bite on the edge of the tire.

TT is fairly light, rolls fast, plenty of grip in most dry conditions (except loose gravel/loose rocks) and Maxxis sidewalls shit all over Schwalbe sidewalls.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you're going to get Schwalbe, make sure you get the full-blown UST version and not the *cough* "tubeless ready" models; the TLR are absolute fucking rubbish - I've seen more airtight flyscreens. Maxxis kick arse, even their bog-standard foldables work bloody well tubeless, but the light sidewalls mean you can't get the full benefit of lower pressure. UST Maxxis go on & seal first time, every time.

Bullshit. I've never had a Schawlbe seat & seal with a track pump unless there's a tube in it. Even with a compressor they're a pain in the arse. I've never needed a compressor to seat & seal a UST Maxxis.

Last edited:

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Ducky, I don't lie. Ive always used a track pump with Schwalbe tyres. You must be doing something wrong mate

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Only thing I'd be doing wrong is use Schwalbe tyres.... I use the same process as I do for Maxxis; Maxxis work first time, every time, Schwalbe do not.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think sealing a tyre with a track pump depends a lot on the rim too. Managed to get an Ikon to seal last night on a Arch Ex rim, no luck with an Ardent Race on a Bontrager rim.

Anyway - I'd recommend the Ikon in a 2.35 (or is it 2.3?) - whatever, it's got a massive bag for an xc tyre.

I also like the Bontrager XR3.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Peace Out
Lots of opinions, but your main problem is pressure. A narrower tyre requires plenty more pressure - Iv run 25 on the rear (88kg) in a 2.25, but instantly hit the rim when I went a 1.9 for a race at 27psi - needed over 30psi.

People tend to advise you on what's best for them, not what's best for you - depending on the rim, you may find tubeless isn't the go for you - on my old anthem (2012), it was 19mm wide but didn't hold the tyre extremely well, and I'd be uncertain to put 40psi in it for tubeless. pressure is variable on the width of the tyre the width of the rider and the type of riding being done

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you want a tyre you can run on a very low pressure tubeless go for the Maxxis Tomahawk DD but the weight penalty is huge. Tyres like Schwalbe racing ralphs tlr have a very thin side wall. I don't think many xc tyres would be made considering a rider weight of 120-130kgs.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Tubeless Day 1

Just get 2 2.35 TR EXO Ikons and get on with it. Seal tubeless in an instant, big, grippy, fast.
I bought 1 2.35 Maxxis Exo IKON. Got my neighbour from www.crankin.net.au to help with the change over. Awesome seal first time. Did my commute 12kms each way no lose in pressure. Looking forward to Kowen on Sunday 8:30am.