AM The Big, Black and Thick German

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
OK so I may have exaggerated on the 'big' part as its no 29er ... but I'm coming from a 26er so it's relative!

After a few months of window shopping, forum trawling and test riding ... I finally pulled the trigger on a new steed.

In regards to the purchase process, Canyon was great. No hidden fees or delays. I got a call the day after I made the purchase and the bike arrived from ze Germans in a week.

It's been two weeks since it arrived and I'm just finishing up first set of changes I had planned.

More details to come ...

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
FRAME: Stealth Black - Canyon Torque Carbon - Medium with full matte Invisiframe

REAR SHOCK: RockShox Super Deluxe RCT
FORK: RockShox Lyrik RCT3
HEADSET: Canyon / Acros
REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM GX 11s SRAM Eagle GX
CHAIN GUIDE: E.Thirteen TRS+
SHIFTERS: SRAM GX 11s SRAM GX Eagle
BRAKES: SRAM CODE R Hope V4 , Goodridge Braided Lines, 203/180 Hope Rotors
CASSETTE: SRAM GX 11s SRAM GX Eagle
WHEELSET: DT Swiss E 1700 SPLINE 30mm
F.TYRE: Maxxis Minion DHR II EXO 2.4 WT MaxxGrip
R.TYRE: Maxxis Minion DHR II EXO 2.4 WT MaxxTerra
F.TYRE (Shuttles): Schwalbe Magic Mary SG 2.35 Addix Ultra Soft
R.TYRE (Shuttles): Maxxis Minion DHR II DD 2.4 WT MaxxTerra
CRANKS: 165mm SRAM Descendant 7K 170mm SRAM Descendant Carbon Cranks
CHAINRING: SRAM NX 32T
BOTTOM BRACKET: SRAM GXP Threaded Hope BB
STEM: Canyon G5 40mm
HANDLEBAR: Canyon G5 780mm / 20mm Spank Spike Vibrocore 780mm/30mm
GRIPS: Canyon G5 Ergon GE1 EVO Factory
SADDLE: SDG Circuit MTN WTB Speed
SEAT POST: RockShox Reverb Stealth B1 150mm
SADDLE CLAMP: Canyon Clamp SL
PEDALS: VP Harrier DH5 DMR Vault
DECORATIONS: IFHT + Fabio Wibmer fanboi-ness
(Riesel actually makes some pretty nice mudguards - check them out)

For the numbers people:
Seat tube length - 440
Top tube length - 620
Head tube length - 125
Head tube angle - 65
Seat tube angle - 74
Chainstay length - 428
Wheel base - 1195
Stack - 627
Reach - 440
Stand-over height - 756
Bottom bracket Offset - 15
BB height - 335

Last edited:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
First ride impressions:

So took the bike out to the Buxton opening day which had perfect conditions (especially for Melbourne at this time of year).

As a frame of reference, the bike I'm coming off is a 2011 Specialized Enduro. I'm 175cm and around 85kg kitted.
Skill level ... not bad, not awesome. My climbing sucks!

Climbing - This thing climbs waaay better than you'd expect it to when you look at it's numbers on paper. Seat positioning feels comfortable and very centered. I actually found the climbs easier when having the front and rear suspension fully open. Both ends would just soak up the bumps and let me keep good momentum. All the climbs at Buxton are pretty cruisy so this wasn't the best test for this department. This kind of climbing would encompass majority of climbing I will do on this bike though (fire road / cruisy climb trail back to top of descent)
I'm not one for being a Strava diva but surprisingly I set a PR on every climb.
I also didn't notice any difference in pedalling on 165mm cranks coming from 175mm.

Descending - I'm going to try my best not to sound exactly the same as majority of review for this bike but it's very hard not to.
The descending trails at Buxton are 80% flow trails (Recently worked on by Dirt Art so its very nice parky berms) with some table tops and gap jumps, then 20% singletrack entry level Enduro.
This has ample amounts of stability. The lower BB and supple initial stroke made me feel more planted. All small bumps were soaked up nicely. I ended up going up 2 click of rebound from the middle on each end to suit these trails nicely. My jumping skills are pretty average but it definitely has more pop than the Enduro.
Most of all, it gives quite a bit of room for error which I definitely need. I was able to hit sections with more speed and was able to guide it nicely when it was floating around between berms and turns.

I plan on giving the descending a more thorough test at Red Hill and Youies in the weeks to come.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
So I finally hit up my regular spots for a better test of the Torque.

Last week went to Youies and Red Hill, and did Buxton again today.

Youies - First of all the climb up the fire road was noticeably easier. Gypsy tears must've blessed this bike or there's a battery I'm unaware of.
Started off with Lactic for a warmup and it carried speed very well through all of it.
Next started to do a few laps of Cressy to slowly push it a bit more each time. As expected, it soaked up the rock gardens quite well. Where I noticed the most difference was it popping me over jumps more and clearing easier. On the Enduro I had trouble clearing the step-up, but I also attribute this to my average jumping skills. Very "Confidence Inspiring" ha.
On a side note, my first Youies attempt resulted in a brand new VP Harrier sliding off the axle. I tried to gap that bit at Cressy where it transitions down just before the jumps section at the end and there's those damn rocks in the middle that I always bang my rear wheel on. Landed a bit sideways and pedal decided to unsubscribe from my riding.

Red Hill - Started off with the climb up the fire road next to Fall Line ... walked most of it. Screw that hill. Gypsy tears wore off and it was just tears of my own. Finally hit the middle and started will Fall Line. (note this is pretty fresh after the Red Hill Trail Team did more work on it and made the berms a tad bigger ... and smoothened out some sections? Big props to the team). Anyway, this trail was the perfect test for how hard I could push it over numerous ruts and see how well it sticked to the ground. The initial stroke of both ends smoothened out the small bumps and the midstroke just made it stick. The faster I went, the stickier it (and myself) got ;) . Props also go to the DHR 2.4 WT on front and rear.
Next up Pins n Needles. Another ace trail. The bike tracked well over the off camber roots ... It rained the night before so I took it easy. Soft .. I know, but I've had a few spills here when trying to gun it. No ragrets. Keen to head back when I'm more used to the bike ... and a better rider

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the bike. Can't really fault it as it's exceeded expectations.
It climbs way better than you'd expect from looking at the numbers, and this is coming from someone who stinks at climbing. Few pedal strikes thanks to the low BB even with 165mm cranks but that mostly comes down to me timing strokes.
Descending it feels planted, no harsh bottom outs and gives you a bit of extra gas over jumps.
The bike feels very balanced between front and rear. I can pick up the bike just after the start of the top tube and it feels pretty much evenly weighted.

Other than the pedal mishap, a creak has developed when put some hard standing strokes in climbing.
I have a Hope BB off the old bike and some 170mm Carbon Descendant cranks that I picked up off FB sales to go on, so that may resolve it.

I plan on taking this to Bright one weekend soon and Maydena in December.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Did two days of shuttles in Bright the weekend before. Weather couldn't have been any better!

Bike held up very well and tackled everything that was thrown at it nicely. Ran double down DHR2 on the rear for peace of mind on the second section of Hero. Got two flats there on EXO last time.

First time doing it in June, I walked many sections of the top trails but was able to ride down them this time. Mostly thanks to riding every weekend but also the new bike allowing for some extra room for error.
Slow progress but progress nonetheless. Next time will add more speeeeeed!

Elevation to start of Hero

2/3rds of World Cup

Mystic

safreek

Did two days of shuttles in Bright the weekend before. Weather couldn't have been any better!

Bike held up very well and tackled everything that was thrown at it nicely. Ran double down DHR2 on the rear for peace of mind on the second section of Hero. Got two flats there on EXO last time.

First time doing it in June, I walked many sections of the top trails but was able to ride down them this time. Mostly thanks to riding every weekend but also the new bike allowing for some extra room for error.
Slow progress but progress nonetheless. Next time will add more speeeeeed!

Elevation to start of Hero

2/3rds of World Cup

Mystic
So I am guessing that riding a big black one is a lot of fun, you seem to be having a ball

teK--

Eats Squid
I was looking at getting one of these but I had my reservations about it's suitability as a do-it-all single bike family. I guess I didn't trust the limited amount of reviews that were out in the wild.

Glad to see you are happy with it though; first ride at Buxton is probably the last place I would have chosen for a bike that I was not sure would climb well!

Do you think the climbing ability it has to do with going to 165mm cranks and Eagle? (what drivetrain did you run on your old bike)?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I was looking at getting one of these but I had my reservations about it's suitability as a do-it-all single bike family. I guess I didn't trust the limited amount of reviews that were out in the wild.

Glad to see you are happy with it though; first ride at Buxton is probably the last place I would have chosen for a bike that I was not sure would climb well!

Do you think the climbing ability it has to do with going to 165mm cranks and Eagle? (what drivetrain did you run on your old bike)?
Really comes down what you'll be riding mostly. The Strive can get away with riding all kinds of trails. Depends how often you'll be doing DH/park shuttle days vs cruisy rides at places like Buxton / Lysterfield.

I honestly wasn't even contemplating getting a new bike until I rode my mates Capra which piqued my interest in longer travel ('super enduro' / 'park') bikes. That also climbed better than expected so that was the start of my window shopping journey.

On my old bike (2011 Specialized Enduro 160mm) I had 11 speed 11-46 with 32t front, so not a massive difference between drivetrains.
I'm no expert on climbing (most of my climbing is fireroads and cruisy linking trails ... far from technical) but I would put my finger on the suspension/frame design and where it positions your seat compared to BB. Also the weight I guess? Being just under 15kg
I get next to no pedal bob and don't even notice the cranks are 165mm.
This is with both ends fully open also!

teK--

Eats Squid
Really comes down what you'll be riding mostly. The Strive can get away with riding all kinds of trails. Depends how often you'll be doing DH/park shuttle days vs cruisy rides at places like Buxton / Lysterfield.

I honestly wasn't even contemplating getting a new bike until I rode my mates Capra which piqued my interest in longer travel ('super enduro' / 'park') bikes. That also climbed better than expected so that was the start of my window shopping journey.

On my old bike (2011 Specialized Enduro 160mm) I had 11 speed 11-46 with 32t front, so not a massive difference between drivetrains.
I'm no expert on climbing (most of my climbing is fireroads and cruisy linking trails ... far from technical) but I would put my finger on the suspension/frame design and where it positions your seat compared to BB. Also the weight I guess? Being just under 15kg
I get next to no pedal bob and don't even notice the cranks are 165mm.
This is with both ends fully open also!
Nice, enjoy! The demands of bigger and rougher trails and more modern geometry seems to make bigger bikes more versatile now.

Like I wouldn't have ever thought my 160/160 Reign fairly slack would have been much good for 3 days of bike packing, but it performed admirably .

I did look at the Capra at same time as weighing up the Torque, but all sizes and specs were out of stock. The Torque had much better features and colourways anyway.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Couple updates to the build:
- Hope V4 brakes off the old bike
- Goodridge braided brake lines
- Hope 203 and 180 rotors
- WTB Speed Saddle
- Spank Spike Vibrocore Bars 780mm wide, 30mm rise
- DMR Vault Pedals
- Truvativ Descendant Carbon Cranks 170mm

In summary: Replaced the black bits with black bits