The Born Again Wagon Wheeler

If the Smuggler just had another 10mm of travel I wouldn't even have posted this thread. I'd be out riding it!
If you really want to make this thread interesting you need to buy your bike before the sun rises tomorrow. And if you want to put your money where your mouth is I know the bike for you:

GT.
Sensor.

It is an exact Smuggler copy with 130mm rear travel. Boom!

I’m anxiously awaiting mine! Wine red and gum wall, so hot right now.

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Norco Range A1 (if you want alloy), reach 504mm for a XL with 29" wheels.
The websites current specs are 2018, 2019 are in the country.
Flow have a review of the new Range on Youtube and this is their pick.
I think the 504mm is mis-leading. (They call it "Reach+"?) That's less than my old Trance had with a 60mm stem.
Frame reach is 483mm. Not saying that's bad....I'm just unsure of the Range's ride feel/character is all.
But I'm gonna drop buy the local Norco dealer this week & pick their brains about the 2019 bikes. It would be good if they had an XL Sight or Range on the floor so I could at least sit on it & check 'dem feels...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
If you really want to make this thread interesting you need to buy your bike before the sun rises tomorrow. And if you want to put your money where your mouth is I know the bike for you:

GT.
Sensor.

It is an exact Smuggler copy with 130mm rear travel. Boom!

I’m anxiously awaiting mine! Wine red and gum wall, so hot right now.

The slayer-of-dragons....we meet again ;)
Just checked the GT www......holy shit you weren't kidding. That frame IS a Smuggler copy.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I think the 504mm is mis-leading. (They call it "Reach+"?) That's less than my old Trance had with a 60mm stem.
Frame reach is 483mm. Not saying that's bad....I'm just unsure of the Range's ride feel/character is all.
But I'm gonna drop buy the local Norco dealer this week & pick their brains about the 2019 bikes. It would be good if they had an XL Sight or Range on the floor so I could at least sit on it & check 'dem feels...
Reach+ appears to be a Norco concept of equalising the reach between the 27.5 and 29er frames and takes into account stem length (thanks google)

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Reach+ appears to be a Norco concept of equalising the reach between the 27.5 and 29er frames and takes into account stem length (thanks google)
Yeah it's a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm not doubting/knocking it. I'd love to sit on (or ride) an XL Range to see how long/short it feels.
I love their spec-per-dollar for sure.
TBH most people in my shoes would prolly be looking squarely at the Range right now.....but I've developed a bad case of 'analysis paralysis' !

bear the bear

Is a real bear
See if you can convince the local shop to do what I did, agree to pay $150 to "hire" a bike for the weekend. The shop gets in a bike in your size to test and the $$ cover the cost of cleaning etc to either send back or get ready for sale (I didn't give mine back after the test ride).
I was told there maybe a Norco test fleet this year but not sure on that one.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
2019 Orbea Rallon M10

Simply an awesome bike that ticks all the boxes and with a bit of negotiation can be purchased for $6K. Plus you can choose whatever colour you want. And get your name on it for extra awesomeness. I absolutely love mine.

Reactions: SDA

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah it's a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm not doubting/knocking it. I'd love to sit on (or ride) an XL Range to see how long/short it feels.
I love their spec-per-dollar for sure.
TBH most people in my shoes would prolly be looking squarely at the Range right now.....but I've developed a bad case of 'analysis paralysis' !
Hehe. You're probably overthinking it. You could keep the Trance for everyday duties and pick up that Banshee Legend for Maydena... Quick do it before I do my dh course and decide I need it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Gt Sensor Carbon Export.

I think it has an RRP of $5999 AUD

495mm reach in XL

130mm

29"

You can be the Hans Rey of the apple isle.

Only downside is yet again they have gone with 32mm Revelations and not Fox 34 or 35mm Pikes.

Not on the list is Trek Fuel EX. Reach in 21.5" frame (XL?) is 487mm but 67 hta

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Gt Sensor Carbon Export.

I think it has an RRP of $5999 AUD

495mm reach in XL

130mm

29"

You can be the Hans Rey of the apple isle.

Only downside is yet again they have gone with 32mm Revelations and not Fox 34 or 35mm Pikes.

Not on the list is Trek Fuel EX. Reach in 21.5" frame (XL?) is 487mm but 67 hta

Revelations are 35mm now, same chassis as the pike.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
The geo on that Sensor is really good. Proper reach numbers.
Some of the sepc for the $$ is a little off....but that's cool - upgraditis will soon set in.
I'd have to put a better (and longer) fork on it fo sho (@Zaf)

...but TBH, I've been thinking a lot about those bloody filthy birds that hang around the bins at the zoo ;)

The geo on that Sensor is really good. Proper reach numbers.
Some of the sepc for the $$ is a little off....but that's cool - upgraditis will soon set in.
I'd have to put a better (and longer) fork on it fo sho (@Zaf)

...but TBH, I've been thinking a lot about those bloody filthy birds that hang around the bins at the zoo ;)
Actually the spec is pretty good other than the brakes and cockpit. The fork on the red model is a revaluation, but it’s the same chassis and air spring as the pike, and it doesn’t have the pos moco damper. It’s has a new “cartridge style self bleed charger” damper. Sound familiar? Good cuz it’s an exact copy of the grip damper, which is a copy of the illustrious avalanche damper. No it doesn’t have a mid valve or hydraulic bottom out, but it should be quite good. The bike is also specs with nice bits like the super light xo1 Eagle cassette, shifter style dropper lever, fabric saddle, etc.

I negotiated a preorder from a shop I’ve never bought from. I got it for $3280 our the door. Not bad for a carbon bike with xo1 Eagle. I’ll put on a nice stem and bar and some better brakes (maybe mt5s?). Maybe get a 140mm debonair shaft for $35. Also want to experiment with a 27.5 wheel out back for a snappy, fun ride style.

michaeldorian

Cannon Fodder
Also check out the 2019 Stumpjumper Evo. Can be had for cheap and you’ll have a bunch of money left over to upgrade and dial it in. The geometry is super dialed. Basically like a shorter travel SB150. Doesn’t feel as slack as the numbers claim. Somehow it works. Shorter travel keeps it playful but enough travel to hammer it. Also has a more progressive link. Oh and that raw brushed aluminum looks killer.

You can run it at 160mm front with a tad more sag for a more plush front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was going to have one bike for everything it might be the SJ Evo. The value is pretty incredible! And it appears to be a strong and durable chassis/build. But Spech is the worst!! Hate. Still tho, might be the one.