VIC The Brackenbury MTB Challenge 2015 November 22nd, Creswick Victoria

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Back again for its fifth year, The Brackenbury Mountain Bike Challenge run in Creswick is set for a new date in November, but promises to have the same grass roots, low-key vibe and family friendly atmosphere that it has become known for. Racing will be on a 25km loop of varied terrain suitable for all abilities. There will be some ups, there will be some downs, there will be some twisty fire roads, some pine forest, some Goldfields Track and plenty more. You can be as competitive as you like but we encourage anyone to just come and give it a go.

When: Sunday 22nd November 2015. Kids race starts at 10am, adults at 11am.
Where: Hammon Park, Water Street Creswick Victoria. Just over an hours drive from Melbourne. Creswick is located on the Goldfields Track between Ballarat and Daylesford.
What: Approximately 25km cross-country loop with one or two lap options.

Hosted by VOGA CC (Villages of the Old Goldfields Association) more info can be found on the website.
Or follow our Facebook page.

Entries open now at Entry Zone.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Course map and profile up here.

Much of the loop is similar to the last two years course, however this year we have reversed the direction! Due to logging there is no more Russel's Colon, no more FCG and no more Turner Burner. Instead, we have Turner Burner 2 - 'Son of Turner Burner' which is a nasty but rewarding little pinch climb, then a new technical single track descent with views of Cosgroves dam. Brackenbury Hill makes a return appearance but this year with 360 degree views!

Russity

Likes Bikes
Trail work for this years race is nearly done and the course is riding beautifully.

Time to get those early entries in, to save too much messing about on the day.

Unfortunately, Taylor Swift turned down my invite to present the trophy and awards, so my Cocker Spaniel 'Dulcie' will be guest of honour.

And yes......there will be free Mars Bars this year too!

Hyped

Likes Bikes
A mate and I are keen to come out for this event, we haven't been to the area before. Should we bring the XC hardtails or AM bikes?

moorey

call me Mia
A mate and I are keen to come out for this event, we haven't been to the area before. Should we bring the XC hardtails or AM bikes?
Depends on how fit you are, how 'AM' the bikes are, and what you enjoy riding. I'm only probably doing the 25km, just to shadow my son, but will be probably riding the 14kg spitfire. If your AM bike is something like a Rune with 36's and DH tyres, it will make you work, but you'll have a ball still.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Back again for its fifth year, The Brackenbury Mountain Bike Challenge run in Creswick is set for a new date in November, but promises to have the same grass roots, low-key vibe and family friendly atmosphere that it has become known for. Racing will be on a 25km loop of varied terrain suitable for all abilities. There will be some ups, there will be some downs, there will be some twisty fire roads, some pine forest, some Goldfields Track and plenty more. You can be as competitive as you like but we encourage anyone to just come and give it a go.

When: Sunday 22nd November 2015. Kids race starts at 10am, adults at 11am.
Whats the dealio with the squids race? Thinking of bringing my 8 yo along, but there is nil info on the website or entryzone page about it.

Cheers.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Depends on how fit you are, how 'AM' the bikes are, and what you enjoy riding. I'm only probably doing the 25km, just to shadow my son, but will be probably riding the 14kg spitfire. If your AM bike is something like a Rune with 36's and DH tyres, it will make you work, but you'll have a ball still.
wow, he's doing the 25? Good on him, it's a good ride.

In terms of bike choice the course is maybe 2/3 smooth fire trail and single track and 1/3 rougher single track so it depends how beat up you like to feel. I rode it on an AM bike last year but then I'm just cruising to finish, not to race so I don't care what my time ends up at.

moorey

call me Mia
wow, he's doing the 25? Good on him, it's a good ride.
Yeah, he goes alright. 20-25km of casual trails has been his meat'n'veg for the last 12 months. He did the 3h Interwinter at Creswick with a mate and loved it, and does the local 'hardmen' loop on a sunday whenever I can ride it. He is always looking to step up. At our local dirt crits, he usually opts to race C grade, instead of P 4-6, and always comes in the top 5.

I'm not racer boy, but I'm at the stage of not really having to hold back when we ride together :behindsofa:

Proud dad brag over.....

I haven't ridden the Brackenbury, TBH. How does it compare in toughness to the Creswick Resort track?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden the Brackenbury, TBH. How does it compare in toughness to the Creswick Resort track?
The loop has been reversed and I'm not super familiar with the area but the single track is fairly similar to Creswick and your local Bunninyong trails as it weaves nicely between native gum and a bit of pine plantation. Certainly similar in a not-too technical, nice and cruisey vibe, certainly it's more Creswick than Castlemaine pineys. The section of goldfields trail I found the most tricky with stupid wide 800mm bars as it runs along the top of a water race a fair bit so it's narrow but with trees having popped up it gets a bit squeezy, but again you'll ace it. There's a little bit at the back of the reservoir that's bumpy as (I'd not like this on a hardtail but then I'm soft) and then you've got a reasonably long climb up fire road to more awesome singletrack. It was a really good, fun approachable circuit that even absolute beginners enjoyed, I'm bummed I can't make it this year. Given how you three went at Interwinter Rd 1 you could no worries do 2 laps, but 1 lap is a fun couple of hours out on the bike.

moorey

call me Mia
I only placed at interwinter due to volunteer points, series entry points, and 'turning up' points for each race. I was solid mid field each race. Did the Buxton 6h last weekend. 3 hours of it was with agonising cramps. Managed only 75km in just under 6h. I'm happy to use Felix as an excuse to not do one lap :woot:

Russity

Likes Bikes
Sorry about the confusion with the kids race....There was a bit of uncertainty about it happening...BUT it WILL happen, but is going to be a small 2 or 3 KM loop, on some pretty easy stuff. JUst so the kids can get an idea of what it's like to come to an event and take part. Nowhere near as serious as the BSCC MTB crits...They will be shadowed by an adult on a bike and it's just a bit of fun really.

As far as the trails go and which bike to bring....if you want to race and go hard, bring a HT. If you want to enjoy it and cruise along, bring an AM bike.

I've ridden the course a thousand times on HT, 120mm XC dually and an AM bike and the best of both worlds is the 120mm dually. The HT is going to let you know you rode it...the AM is going to be a blast!

The course is not as rough or brutal as the Castlemaine Pineys for sure, but it does have it's moments. We want people to come along and enjoy the ride. Those that want to race are going to race, no matter what, so we figured we'd make it more of a fun course to ride with a few little tougher bits.

I have taken a couple of groups out who have never ridden the trails and they all got around without any dramas.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
My only MTB at the moment is a Salsa Fargo, a rigid drop bar off-road touring bike thingy. So I've been riding the loop on that. Fun and do-able but wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to race. Maybe thats why parts of the course feel so damn rough. A bike with some agility and a bit of cush would be a bonus, otherwise just bring whatever you've got. It'll be fine.

The faeries have been out doing some preening and grooming. Everythings dry, hard packed and fast! Do bring some climbing legs though, 500m climbing per 25km lap.