The Chilli Thread!

fridgie

Likes Dirt
No frosts, can can get to 0 once or twice a winter though. But I could move the pots under the patio of an evening on those freak days. Would this be ok?
I'm in Brisbane, my plants are still producing quite well atm. Being in pots you can move them easily to keep them warmer, mine are in a garden bed so can't be moved.

Bit of plastic sheet and you'll be fine.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Mate gave me some bbq sauce he made with chocolate habs, bloody delicious!!

Couldn't think of a better way to do it justice, these were so damn tasty....

stirk

Burner
Too sick to ride so it's chilli time!

Habaneros wild fermentation batch no.1
Habs and Bulgarian orange chilli jam blipping away on the stove.

IMG_20160528_161935.jpg

stirk

Burner
Kill the fuckers.
Ol poss poss ate fairly mild Thai and birds eye chilli and my baby Trinidad scorpions which were yet to fruit.

Let's see if it can handle a Carolina reaper!

Making a curry with one tonight, poss can have the other.

IMG_20160529_174331.jpg

fridgie

Likes Dirt
My girlfriend hates me again lol, added 4 bishops crown to our spaghetti then stuck in a naga while she wasn't looking.... :llama:

stirk

Burner
The sole survivor

So I've finally had some success growing some chilli and keeping them away from being eaten by the possums. Hoorah for steel mesh!

Mild Zimbabwean birds eye, very nice to munch on raw.

Is freezing the crop before winter the best way to get the most out of them until next season?

IMG_20170308_191150.jpg

Freediver

I can go full Karen
When you freeze them they go a bit mushy when thawed. This makes them not so great for eating raw.
My favourite way is to char the skin a bit an put them in a blender with the juice of a lime or two and 3% of their weight in salt. Keep the container covered, only taking it of to stir them once every day. After a couple of weeks they will be fermented and last for ages.

indica

Serial flasher
When you freeze them they go a bit mushy when thawed.
Depends on what you want to use them for. My orange habs go great in salsa raw, and the texture is fine.

I have recently bought a dehydrator and dry them that way. Keeps the colour really well. The kashmiri chillies I have dried and so red.

stirk

Burner
I'll test freeze a few to see how they turn out thawed.

If I was to start growing seedlings for planting next spring when do you sow the seeds?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've got an LED light so I started them in the middle of winter this year but most of them need a soil temp of nearly 20 C to sprout.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Just got back from The herb and chilli festival up in Wandin. Awesome day on the beers, with music and a good vibe, it's highly recommended. I tried a 5 million SHU sauce. Fu@k me, it was BRUTAL. A match head on a paddle pop stick was waaay more than enough!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Currently growing the mild Cheyenne, Scotch Bonnet and Chinese Lantern in pots after our house fire. Planning on a small herb/Chili patch in our rental whilst insurance rebuilds our home.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Just got back from The herb and chilli festival up in Wandin. Awesome day on the beers, with music and a good vibe, it's highly recommended. I tried a 5 million SHU sauce. Fu@k me, it was BRUTAL. A match head on a paddle pop stick was waaay more than enough!
How good is chillimas!

Yesterday was my 4th year going, atmosphere is spot on and food is spectacular every year. I opted to just chill and listen to the music while drinking (too much) chilli beer this year. I've done the hot sauces and tested my tolerances in years gone by, great fun but sucks the joy out of the cookoff and the delicious foods when your taste buds are just on fire. Cold beer, hot food, Sunshine, sombrero, Spanish music - so much chill...

I reckon that batman suit would have had an aroma to it when the fella returned it hey :p

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
How good is chillimas!

Yesterday was my 4th year going, atmosphere is spot on and food is spectacular every year. I opted to just chill and listen to the music while drinking (too much) chilli beer this year. I've done the hot sauces and tested my tolerances in years gone by, great fun but sucks the joy out of the cookoff and the delicious foods when your taste buds are just on fire. Cold beer, hot food, Sunshine, sombrero, Spanish music - so much chill...

I reckon that batman suit would have had an aroma to it when the fella returned it hey :p
Spot on! Such a good day. I actually thought it had a bit of a Meredith feel up the back under those big arse trees. Kicked back listening to live music and inhaling beers.......just lacked the acid! Hahahaha! That Batman was getting nada off everyone when we saw him, poor fu@ker. The suit most definitely would've smelt pretty funky. The chilli eating, and wings comps were quite entertaining too.