The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'll take a photo in a supermarket today, looks worse than peak covid. It's not so much the covid but the rail line and Nullarbor getting fuxxored by the rains.
You don't realise how much of our food comes from the east coast. Fresh fruit and veges are ok and a bit like the olden days when it was seasonal. Anything else is pretty bare still.
I remember when I lived there most "fresh" foods seemed to be state local. There was a lot of unfamiliar dairy brands etc. But stuff like toilet paper and packaged foods were all recognisable brands. So I just assumed local vs out of state origin would be roughly as per recognised vs unrecognised.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Red curry pig. 50% of red curry paste, full can of coconut cream in lieu of half can coconut milk. No chillis (-2). Extra kaffir lime juice...

...Still too effn hot. Apparently.

I lopped a chilli into mine.

ausdb

Being who he is
Sort of food related, a little IGA near me. It looks like things are on the mend as they had a heap of cartons of dry goods in the aisles waiting to be unpacked.
DSC_9394-picsay.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So try this... For one...

Slice an small onion (cut in half along the major axis, top and tail and remove the outer bits and then slices so the bits are semi circles). Stir fry in a little sesame oil. Chuck in some beef strips, maybe 150g, and cooky cooky. Add a generous teaspoon of crushed ginger. Splash some soy and squirt in some honey. Steam a few beans in the microwave and then throw them in too. Add a bit more soy and/or honey to get a nice sauce going. Chuck in some thick precooked rice canoodles. While the noodles be heating slice up two chillis. Nothing flash just the basic shop bought things about 100mm long and 20mm diameter. Chuck them in too. Stir a bit, then dish up and eat. Man was that good. Lips tingling for the requisite 43 minutes after eating.

ausdb

Being who he is
Not so chili mussels, I thought the kids may want a taste so went a little too light on the chili. A friend gave me a recipe this afternoon that had some saffron and a dash of Pernod and was even kind enough to give me the Pernod as I didn't have any. I was surprised how much difference the Pernod made.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Not so chili mussels, I thought the kids may want a taste so went a little too light on the chili. A friend gave me a recipe this afternoon that had some saffron and a dash of Pernod and was even kind enough to give me the Pernod as I didn't have any. I was surprised how much difference the Pernod made.
View attachment 387188
Pernod is so good in heaps of seafood dishes. Pantry staple along with medium Sherry over here (for the Spanish dishes).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Chucked a chunk of pig in the wood-fired baby weber this eve. Given the finnickiness of the baby getting the coal bed just right, I've given up on trying to get a good crackle. And because I've stopped trying, tonight I scored the best I've done...! :rolleyes: Not perfect, slightly burnt, but at least for a change actual crackle and not rubber!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Chucked a chunk of pig in the wood-fired baby weber this eve. Given the finnickiness of the baby getting the coal bed just right, I've given up on trying to get a good crackle. And because I've stopped trying, tonight I scored the best I've done...! :rolleyes: Not perfect, slightly burnt, but at least for a change actual crackle and not rubber!
I haven't cooked pork belly in ages, but I did buy it in a restaurant last night. There was no crackle. My feelings were hurt.

Did the pork carry a good smokey flavour?

I have just put a very spicy lamb shank curry in the fridge after about 6 hours in the slow cooker.

I also roasted perfect picanha for dinner. Just the lightest smears of Vegemite on the flesh added a huge boost of umami to the meat.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Always get a good smoky flavour from a wood fire. Tonight's fire was home-grown (& fallen) Melaleuca. Slightly softer than the Eucalypt I've previously used, but still very yum.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Quick whinge before i get to the main meal....

Since when do we pay premium prices for de-boned meat like chicken thigh fillets or butterflied lamb shoulder only to have to trim and butcher it at home before cooking?? Not happy Jan. Luckily i have a dog who loves my weekly cookup day so no scrap is wasted, but my home recipes that require 1kg means i have to fudge 1200g just in case.

This week's cookup is a peasant meal from my ten pound pom Irish/Welsh roots - 1/3 boiled skin on quartered tatties, 1/3 chopped cabbage, and 1/3 chopped economy fatty bacon, onions and garlic.

Cook the bacon hot but lid on with onions stirring frequently, when transparent add the cabbage and when that cooks down a bit, add the potatoes.

Works well for filling teenage boys and Wolverine husbands.
You can add cumin seed, grated garlic and sauerkraut to taste for the more European peasant experience.
Roast butterflied lamb shoulder (1/3 off on short date score!) marinated in crushed garlic, ground coriander seed, ground cumin, and Zatar mix, then cooked in the turbo oven for 1 hour at 200⁰ and 30 mins at 125⁰ on the rack over onion, zuccini, black pepper and turmeric whilst sweet potatoes onions and carrots steamed in the slow cooker.

Chicken thighs will probably end up as my chunky slow cooker sweet corn and chicken soup because i CBF. Big work week ahead, five Lab retrievers alone booked in tomorrow.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Always get a good smoky flavour from a wood fire. Tonight's fire was home-grown (& fallen) Melaleuca. Slightly softer than the Eucalypt I've previously used, but still very yum.
I love a good bit of smoke in my meats.

I prepped a few fruit syrups this evening while the food cooked. Sliced up peaches, plumbs, citrus, and jarred each with a bit of sugar then into the fridge for a week or there. The sugar will raw out juice and be delicious with soda water or as a cocktail ingredient. Lime/lemon/grapefruit goes well with tequila, plumb or peach with gin or vodka. I have a pineapple syrup that is great with rum. And so on.