The cooking thread

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I usually bulk cook on my day off (Monday) nowadays, so last week it was a freerange pork leg roast slowcookered in honey and soy sauce. Half was pulled and portioned up with turmeric and black pepper roast skin-on Desiree spuds, and roast veg - bulb fennel, red capsicum, green beans, elephant garlic, zuccini and carrots. The other half went into stir fried broccoli, zuccini, red capsicum, pumpkin, and bean sprouts with San Choi Bao sauce added. Still have 6 meals prepped so The Hubs has requested bolognaise as the third choice this week, i usually use gravy beef or chuck steak with the pumpkin, cauli, carrot, green beans, corn kernels etc etc (50% meat, 50% veg) mix i do plus a cheat jar of Five Brothers sauce and extra garlic and onions, but this week he's asked for mince. It's a texture thing for him, we're both on the spectrum. Luckily i have beef mince in the freezer from the awesome family butchers i use, their mince is the only one i can eat without suffering major heartburn. So that will go into the slow cooker tomorrow and i might also do a double batch of chicken thigh meat enchiladas because number 2 grandson is having a birthday this week, and that's his mum's favourite meal (daughter number 2, who is currently wrangling 3 boys under 7 and pregnant with rare monochorionic twins) :)

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Today's bulk cooking effort. My take on Tuna mornay with 1/2 veg, turmeric, black pepper and cheddar cheese with an Australian Basmati rice,

Local pork mince rissoles with garlic, onion, egg and zuccini as a binder with steamed veg and slowcookered steamed potatoes in butter,

And local grassfed beef chuck steak slowcookered with butter, tomato, onion, carrot and peas, finished with gravy and with the slowcookered potatoes.

Not the greatest photos, the lighting in our rental kitchen is woeful.

Attachments

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not the best pic but cooked this last night. Assorted roast vegetables plus roasted stuffed chicken breast.
Inside: smashed up spinach, brie, sundried tomatoes, garlic aioli
Outside: egg wash covered with a rub made from paprika, potato starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt.

'Twas nice.

Switch

huskier headed gent
This is a great little recipe that has gone into high rotation at our house as it is a good one if you have young kids as you can keep it bland for the them, then add the sauce for some spice.
Bimbimbap
Nice cheap quick meal that is tasty and can use up whatever vegies you have in the fridge. The My Korean Kitchen site has a bunch of other great recipes too.

Minlak

custom titis
Made fried rice last night with pork belly - was a particularly nice batch - the Missus says “mmmm wonder when we can have that again” - she is referring to my belligerent disregard for measuring ingredients - everything is a splash of this or bit of that never planned out - no two dishes ever come out similar ;)

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Made fried rice last night with pork belly - was a particularly nice batch - the Missus says “mmmm wonder when we can have that again” - she is referring to my belligerent disregard for messing ingredients - everything is a splash of this or bit of that never planned out - no two dishes ever come out similar ;)
That’s the only way to cook isn’t it?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I'm an industrial chemist who spent 8 years at Uni learning how to measure stuff accurately and precisely.
I rarely measure anything when I cook. My Chemistry PhD is pretty much only good for being able to pour out measures of alcohol consistently across multiple vessels.

Minlak

custom titis
Recipes are guidelines, none have ever had the right amount of garlic and few the right amount of chilli.
Nothing ever has the right amount of chilli. The right amount is always more. Same for ginger.
I am chilli sensitive and cannot really handle hot food but don't mind when it has a little bit of a "kick" at the end - A kick for me is best described as a mild heat to the back of the throat (read that as very mild). As such I normally stick to traditional birdseye chilli or chilli flakes in a masterfood bottle as the source of heat.
Last night for the first time I used Sriracha as the heat source - I used a very small amount of it and was amazed at the different mouth / swallow feel to it. Will be my new go to for a while.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Also, the smoked Tabasco is bloody beautiful if it suits the cuisine. It's awesome on tacos.

@Minlak - If you see Lingham's chilli sauce, give that a crack too. It's mild and semi-sweet, with just a little tickle. Don't buy the garlic variant though, it's shite (and I normally like garlicky things...)

Minlak

custom titis
Also, the smoked Tabasco is bloody beautiful if it suits the cuisine. It's awesome on tacos.

@Minlak - If you see Lingham's chilli sauce, give that a crack too. It's mild and semi-sweet, with just a little tickle. Don't buy the garlic variant though, it's shite (and I normally like garlicky things...)
I was looking for a noodle recipe and they mentioned chilli and Garlic sauce as a single sauce - i was thinking I would just use chilli and garlic as separate items - I did look at the tabasco range again the other day shopping to but as mentioned cant handle heat so chickened out.