The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A quick search has shown that cooking and recipe and food threads have been started numerous times and one by one they have been shut down or deleted for various reasons. Not exactly sure why and some of the older burners might know. Anyway as a few pics have appeared here and there it is time to have another crack at this and keeping it open.

So rules:

This is about food, whether you cooked it or you ate it. If you post about a cat or a dog you better detail how it was prepared and which sauces you used.
Happy for links to be posted, there are so many recipes out there it is sometimes hard to choose something. So if you have tried a recipe and it was good then post up the source. Hopefully without the life story of how the cook's grandmother won world war II while making noodles in her trench. If you have found a nice restaurant in your area then post that too but don't load the thread with links to your sister's cafe.

OK?

Anyway to kick off here are a couple of sites that I have been using. I am very much a fan of Asian food and lean towards Korean as my personal favourite though pretty much anything Asian gets a gong, made some Burmese (not the cats) the other day and that was good too though hard to distinguish from the usual suspects.

https://www.maangchi.com/ (sorry about the ads)

This though is a standout for me:

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I decided to make something with chicken breasticles the other night and found a recipe for a spinach stuffed chicken breast. It turned out the only ingredients I had were the chicken and spinach so I substituted what we had.

First, made a garlic aioli with a proprietary aioli and minced garlic. Diced up about half a cup of fresh spinach. Whipped an egg into a frenzy and hacked into some brie and some herbs and spices from the panty...

Chicken breast was trimmed and a pocket made with a sharp knife. Garlic aioli was then plastered on one side, layered spinach on that and then strips of brie on top. Stitched the breast back together with toothpicks. Made a rub from cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and some paprika. Dipped the breasts in egg and dusted them with rub and onto a paella dish that is oven safe. Chopped some root vegetables nice and small and placed these around the breasts on the dish and then into a preheated oven at 180C. About 20-25 minutes.

It was bloody good.

Sorry for the lousy pic, it was an afterthought...

Well worth a try and this one is easily made vegan, just leave out everything other than the spinach...

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
That Korean site is a winner, thanks @Dales Cannon! Like you Korean is probably my standout of the Asian cuisines, undoubtedly because of some very generous work colleagues who have wined and dined me over the years when I have been there.

Nothing to add on the recipe front however with regard to ingredients, and for those at home who like a good veggie patch, I've been having a lot of success with Warrigal Greens as a very versatile Asian greens or spinach substitute. They grow like stink too and are pretty tolerant of dry and hot periods unlike most broad leaf greens.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Subscribed.
The wife has been hammering RecipeTinEats recently, heaps of good stuff on there:

A personal favourite is this slow cooker Honey Soy Chicken

stirk

Burner
I think I may have started I thread.

My food.

Pastrami brined and smoked, 1 week to make this.

PXL_20210323_205536953_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Pasta I can do in my sleep.

PXL_20210404_080634682_copy_3024x2268.jpg

Tooooonaaa

PXL_20210410_084506124_copy_3024x2268_1.jpg

Taco, masa flour, not easy to find or get right, moar on this later.

PXL_20210411_024849997_copy_2268x3024.jpg

Burgers!! A weekend favorites.

PXL_20210424_034405390_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Epic flat breads!

PXL_20210426_082049850_copy_2016x1512.jpg

I love cooking.

I'll update later with tips and tricks.

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Where did you source your plants?
I've got a fair few seeds if anyone wants some.
Very easy to grow, though it's possibly not the right time of year to plant them.

Once you get an established plant (or more) they just keep going. I try to pick a bunch of leaves at a time, blanch them and then freeze them in portions, ready to add to meals.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Envious, I cook nothing, I am the parks, gardens and bikes man.

My missus does all the cooking and inside stuff.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do most of the cooking @ home, or used to until I went back to FIFO. Now I do half, my Mrs isn't a very enthusiastic cook and the kids look forward to my breaks.
I picked up a pizza dough recipe from Jamie Oliver's TV show back in the 90's, and have stuck with it ever since. The Mrs is confounded by any recipe where things aren't precisely measured, whilst I can do that if necessary I prefer a more casual approach and taking some notice of what's going on.
I used make the pizza dough in a wok, and switched to bread machine as soon as we got one.

2 cups bakers flour (or 2 cups Laucke Crusty White bread mix) and 1 cup plain flour
1 cup water
dash of olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast

When it's ready (machine goes beep) makes 3 medium pizza bases
Use Dolmio, or whatever you like for the tomato based sauce
All kindsa stuff for the topping, my kids tastes range from ham + cheese, basic pepperoni and cheese, to capsicum, mushrooms, anchovies, pepperoni/chorizo, onion.

Into fan forced oven, on a pizza tray with baking paper @ 180C 15 - 20 mins. Shitloads better than Dominos

link1896

Mr Greenfield
super simple GF chicken schnitzel.

whole or diced dirty bird. I like thigh diced
throw into a zip lock bag with a good lot of GF flour. roll all about till covered.
beat eggs in a bowl.
mix GF bread crumbs, paprika, herbs and spices of your choice into a second bowl, I like parsley. mix at desired ratios. I make the mixture very red with sweet Hungarian paprika, but only a dash of parsley for me.
use tongs A, take bird and roll in the beaten eggs. pull out of eggs and let drip off a bit
drop with tongs A into the crumb mix
Roll around and place on a plate with tongs B. (otherwise you quickly end up with super thick tongs if you use one set)

you can double coat with bread crumbs if you wish. back into the egg mixture then into the crumb mix if so.

pan fry.
place in a wrap with salad, some mayo. fucking beautiful.

the uncooked, prepared chicken pieced freeze well, makes an awesome week night dinner that's ready in 15.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Jamie Oliver
I love a really simple salad dressing I got from a Jamie book:

One part Dijon Mustard, one part red wine vinegar, three parts olive oil.

Red wine vinegar can be substituted for Balsamic or any vinegar you like. Sometimes a little more mustard helps it emulsify, result should be thick and viscous not lumpy. Add some salt and pepper. Just pop it all in an old jam jar and shake.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I love a really simple salad dressing I got from a Jamie book:

One part Dijon Mustard, one part red wine vinegar, three parts olive oil.

Red wine vinegar can be substituted for Balsamic or any vinegar you like. Sometimes a little more mustard helps it emulsify, result should be thick and viscous not lumpy. Add some salt and pepper. Just pop it all in an old jam jar and shake.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was looking for something different to do with chicken breasts for din dins and thanks to @Rorschach found this

It was simple and very good. I hacked up vegetables and put them around the perimeter of the paella dish and baked these for about 20 minutes before adding the chicken in the centre. For such a basic rub the flavour is good and definitely recommended. Preparation is quick too.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I was looking for something different to do with chicken breasts for din dins and thanks to @Rorschach found this

It was simple and very good. I hacked up vegetables and put them around the perimeter of the paella dish and baked these for about 20 minutes before adding the chicken in the centre. For such a basic rub the flavour is good and definitely recommended. Preparation is quick too.
That website is awesome. So much good stuff on there