The cooking thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What are the things that look like a hybrid between a pastry and roast potato?

That whole meal looks incredibly tasty though. I'd come to your restaurant!
Roast potato?
I can confirm the last of the chilli chicken goes well with potato gems...

Honey mustard pork loin on a bed of mashed sweet potato with grilled asparagus topper is the plan for tonight.

Hools

Likes Dirt
What are the things that look like a hybrid between a pastry and roast potato?

That whole meal looks incredibly tasty though. I'd come to your restaurant!
Those are Hasselback Potatoes. They usually open up a bit more than that. Very easy way to fancy up the old spud.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Those are Hasselback Potatoes. They usually open up a bit more than that. Very easy way to fancy up the old spud.
I assumed so, but they looked more fluffy than usual. Either way, looks good!

stirk

Burner
I had a go at modifying this and it is worth a go...

Basically this with roast wedgies,

and...

Add a sliced green apple and a handful of crushed walnuts to the sauce when it is in the oven. Reduce it as per instructions and then mulch it before slopping (technical chef terminology) on the pig.

It was superb.

If I'm looking for recipes and see Nagi has one up I'll always go there first. Doing a naan bread from her site this avro actually which turn out perfect.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So this happened. First time roasting asparagussssss and it was really good. A bit of Olivia Oyl and some garlic and into the oven at 180C for the last 7 minutes of the pork fillet cooking. Then onto a pan to fry the surface. Bloody good. Same honey garlic recipe as last time as posted above though I had all the ingredients so the cook was faithful to the recipe. Left the sauce a bee's dick too long so it was a bit stickier than plan but no problem. Honey, garlic, pork and sweet potato are such a good combo especially when the garlic and the sweet potato come out of the garden bed an hour before the cook!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Me again. Lightly killed eye fillet on a bed of mashed potato, steamed in garlic then grilled asparagus (yes! again!) swimming in pepper sauce. Yum.

Pepper sauce was Nagi's except sherry (whatever it is called here) instead of brandy and half a teaspoon of garlic salt in two teaspoons of crushed black pepper corns. Very nice.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well then...not to brag, but this was a good idea. The Vegemite formed a bit of a glaze on the bottom, helping keep the inside soft and moist. The flavour was salty...but more than salty. It had a deep filer flavour and went well with the garlic+chillies+herb mix.

Next time I think I will make a Vegemite+honey+garlic glaze for it. I feel optimistic about that mix.

The top got a little too much sun on the edges in the last 5 minutes. I became impatient in the pursuit of the crackle and pumped the oven up to 250⁰. But it still delivered the crackled goods!

A much crunchy goodness.

Now off to take some bike photos. Then filter off the mulberry gin!

Minlak

custom titis
Bit of Yellowbelly from the weekend in a wrap. Simple and delicious.
Do you eat much yellowbelly? We generally used to throw them back as they weren't a great flesh in the dams in SEQ. Probably a whole different matter in better flowing water.
Not as much as I'd like - prefer it to Murray Cod tho. But yeah caught the river so that might make a difference
I had never experienced Yellowbelly or Bass - Well fresh water fish in general until I moved to the "Country" - So I enquired if it was good eating the response was -
"Its awesome - All you have to do is fillet it - soak it in salty water for 24hrs and heavily season it - fry it up and great"

Threw all mine back :)