The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't be sad @wkkie as per usual super crackling is on the way! I had meant to run a really low temp and try something different, but the high blast early (though certainly not that high!) Is my usual move.

Just letting it rest now.

In the mean time I made vegan friendly coconut pana cotta with raspberry sauce.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And I know you freaks want to see the crackle...

IMG_20221129_223518214~2.jpg

It isn't as crackled all over as I would like, but there is plenty of ASMR friendly cracking and crunching going on. I loaded the base up with garlic, house made pesto, and fennel seeds. I usually put chili on there but I forgot. Flavour is awesome. Meat is tender.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Any hot tips for using up a jar of passata? I've got most of a 700g jar left I bought for a recipe that used less than a cup's worth. Must be vegetarian, I don't really eat meat at home.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Any hot tips for using up a jar of passata? I've got most of a 700g jar left I bought for a recipe that used less than a cup's worth. Must be vegetarian, I don't really eat meat at home.
Garlic, onion, dry green herbs, passata...brown garlic and onion, add passata and green herbs. Reduce liquid volume and then add black beans.

If you have a can of crushed tomatoes add that as well. Can be done on stove top, in oven, or air fryer.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Couple of nights ago, made an Asian salad (the type that's served cold and is perfect on a balmy summer's evening).
6DEDA135-EC34-497D-99C7-DAB232CE6051.jpeg

Salad leaves, rice noodles, carrot, cucumber, sliced chicken thigh. Fish sauce, sweet chilli and lemon sauce, with some fresh spring onions that had been lightly 'pickled'/salted in the fish sauce before mixing the rest of the sauce up (there was more chilli than there looks in the pic too!).

Tonight's dinner was rice paper rolls.
C3646F75-C692-471E-B2D0-6DB10D58F4C8.jpeg

Sliced pork steak, chopped (and cooked) shiitake mushrooms, carrot, cucumber, all on finely shredded lettuce.

Endup a bit oversized but tasted good!
2876A084-E89C-4A90-B91C-64D4BA7C6A8E.jpeg

I have many wrappers left over, so some more experimenting will be in my future.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Awe
Couple of nights ago, made an Asian salad (the type that's served cold and is perfect on a balmy summer's evening).
View attachment 394970
Salad leaves, rice noodles, carrot, cucumber, sliced chicken thigh. Fish sauce, sweet chilli and lemon sauce, with some fresh spring onions that had been lightly 'pickled'/salted in the fish sauce before mixing the rest of the sauce up (there was more chilli than there looks in the pic too!).

Tonight's dinner was rice paper rolls.
View attachment 394973

Sliced pork steak, chopped (and cooked) shiitake mushrooms, carrot, cucumber, all on finely shredded lettuce.

Endup a bit oversized but tasted good!
View attachment 394974

I have many wrappers left over, so some more experimenting will be in my future.
Awesome @beeb . I like to get some garlic and brown/raw sugar in the mortar (or just use my knife on the cutting board) to grind it all up and then add the fish sauce, thai basil and several types of mint from the garden.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Awe

Awesome @beeb . I like to get some garlic and brown/raw sugar in the mortar (or just use my knife on the cutting board) to grind it all up and then add the fish sauce, thai basil and several types of mint from the garden.
I would normally do similar, but didn't have the herbs I needed on hand (haven't had time to get the garden sorted at the new place yet...), so improvised with what I had in the fridge. I'm a bit gun-shy on Thai basil too. Had some at the last house and it had a really strong aniseed flavour (and seeded like mad and tried to take over my yard!), so a milder conventional basil is my go-to for safety nowadays. Mint would be banger too, must try that in future.

cammas

Seamstress
Curried snags tonight with brown rice and veg, to sweeten it up a little I chucked in some frozen mango chunks, not enough to over power it but just enough to make it a little sweeter and it worked a treat, offsetting the curry and helped thicken the sauce a bit.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
How does one properly poach eggs in a microwave? I'm oldschool and distrust all things beepy boopy, don't get me started on creepy robovacs that don't have Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics in place.

I recently succumbed to a KMart microwave so i could bulk cook for the week and portion it off into meal prep containers so as not be chained to the kitchen nightly whilst fielding calls from idiot dog owners who's precious labrawhatsitoodle reeeeeealy needs a four-hour that they want to pay for one hour groom because they don't bother to brush their overpriced mutt. Don't even get me started on every random ringing me for their have to book in the week before Christmas groom when i haven't seen their dog in 12 months ffs.

I just want easy poached eggs for breakfast so I'm not hangry dealing with this shit.