The Dangers of riding on the road

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I ride on the road and I’m a cyclist and a rider (they are different things)
Now no one deserves to go out for a ride and never make it home - but - a lot of cyclist make it hard for themselves by having the attitude of “it’s my right” - preserve you’re life people - don’t be so belligerent - avoid roads you know to be narrow - ride single file on busy roads - assume the cars are all going to kill you and move around them and out of their way - yeah yeah I shouldn’t have to but here is the thing cars hitting you hurts.
I agree with you to the point that there's no value in being in the right if you're dead.
I don't agree that cyclists should have to "Avoid" any roads.
Under the road traffic act (at least in SA - assume that this is pretty ubiquitous) a bicycle is defined as a vehicle and has the same rights to right of way and road use as any other vehicle.
Cycling was present on roadways and thoroughfares well before the advent of the motor car and the general attitude, reliance and bias towards the car in Australia is frankly disappointing.

Minlak

custom titis
I agree with you to the point that there's no value in being in the right if you're dead.
Under the road traffic act (at least in SA - assume that this is pretty ubiquitous) a bicycle is defined as a vehicle and has the same rights to right of way and road use as any other vehicle.
Cycling was present on roadways and thoroughfares well before the advent of the motor car and the general attitude, reliance and bias towards the car in Australia is frankly disappointing.
You are 100% correct - and make the point I’m trying to make perfectly - You 100% should be able to ride wherever you want - I’m suggesting people make decisions based around saving your lives not being in the right :)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You are 100% correct - and make the point I’m trying to make perfectly - You 100% should be able to ride wherever you want - I’m suggesting people make decisions based around saving your lives not being in the right :)
I should get on a plane and go back to Mallorca to ride... Roadie paradise.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's anecdotal, but I really do feel there's difference in how motorists drive around me depending on whether I'm in 'commuting' attire (mtb shorts, t-shirt, maybe jumper and backpack) compared to when I've got a cycling jersey on.
Having pockets on the back of your shirt is almost like waving a red rag at a bull

Flow-Rider

Burner
Unfortunately most people in a tin box couldn't care less about cyclists until they end in court and then it's too late to be sorry. It's about mitigating risk and not proving a point for me, if I wanted to do that I would lobby government not put my life at risk.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The whole attitude around the laws of driving are completely wrong. There is no responsibility for accidents at all, and starts from the very bottom for example the humble rear ender. These are for some reason treated as minor accidents, should be treated the same as more serious things like drink driving, you cause a crash, lose your licence! Might be more incentive to actually look where the fuck you're driving.

Some major considerations I take. Won't save me from an inattentive idiot but hopefully goes some way.

Time of day - Very early morning or late and night, So much more relaxing.
To the point that I can hear every car coming and prepare myself depending on the situation. For example if I'm grinding away up a steep pinch with a crest I'll just get of the road and wave them through, especially if there is also oncoming traffic.

I'm always riding with a bit of space for me to move further left, will hold my line but then move slightly left as they get closer as an indication to the car behind I'm happy for them to pass.

If I'm not riding a quite single lane country road, I'll only pick major routes with a good wide left lane or bike lane.

At traffic lights I'll always take the lane and never filter to the front. Gives cars more incentive to move into the right lane before they sit behind you.
I then get started in the lane and move across left once moving steadily.

I never use earphones as I like to hear exactly what's going on around me.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The whole attitude around the laws of driving are completely wrong. There is no responsibility for accidents at all, and starts from the very bottom for example the humble rear ender. These are for some reason treated as minor accidents, should be treated the same as more serious things like drink driving, you cause a crash, lose your licence! Might be more incentive to actually look where the fuck you're driving.

Some major considerations I take. Won't save me from an inattentive idiot but hopefully goes some way.

Time of day - Very early morning or late and night, So much more relaxing.
To the point that I can hear every car coming and prepare myself depending on the situation. For example if I'm grinding away up a steep pinch with a crest I'll just get of the road and wave them through, especially if there is also oncoming traffic.

I'm always riding with a bit of space for me to move further left, will hold my line but then move slightly left as they get closer as an indication to the car behind I'm happy for them to pass.

If I'm not riding a quite single lane country road, I'll only pick major routes with a good wide left lane or bike lane.

At traffic lights I'll always take the lane and never filter to the front. Gives cars more incentive to move into the right lane before they sit behind you.
I then get started in the lane and move across left once moving steadily.

I never use earphones as I like to hear exactly what's going on around me.
AFAIK, in Europe, the driver is assumed to be automatically at fault in a collision with a cyclist, unless the driver is able to prove otherwise.

As well as cycling being much more part of the culture and way of life there, I bet that the automatic at fault collision rule plays a part too.

re earphones, I have said the same on bicycles.net.au/forums and got shouted down by the many resident fuckwits there

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
At the same time, thinking 'self preservation' there are certain roads in SA that should be avoided at certain times of the day. Especially ones without bike lanes at peak times.
Old Belair probably being the worst of all, its a death wish.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
That Mike Hall stuff is horrible, I remember that year of the IndiPac and the day the dot stopped moving.

Speaking of police reinforcing negative attitudes to cyclists:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/7news....iver-who-illegally-overtook-him-c-1343379.amp
I also remember that years' race. I was watching the dot from the UK when it stopped. Reading that article OP posted was sickening.
I used to dream of doing something like the IndiPac race. I rode my gravel bike from Sydney to Albury once. It was one of the best rides of my life. Rode from Sydney to Newcastle in the overnighter as well once. However, in the last year, I've stopped riding road and sold my road bike. I know we have the right to be on the road, but it's just not worth it in my opinion. I will always ride MTBs and gravel roads, but my road riding days are done.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As someone who works within road safety I have a lot of clients who are former cyclists, most of the time experienced guys just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately lycra offers no protection against solid objects and for those who are catastrophically injured the outcomes can be life changing in many ways; not just an ongoing physical disability.
I used to ride on the road, after working in this field and meeting a few guys who drive wheelchairs with their chins I stay away from public roads. If I make a mistake on a trail and break my neck it's on me, but it's about risk minimisation.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As someone who works within road safety I have a lot of clients who are former cyclists, most of the time experienced guys just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately lycra offers no protection against solid objects and for those who are catastrophically injured the outcomes can be life changing in many ways; not just an ongoing physical disability.
I used to ride on the road, after working in this field and meeting a few guys who drive wheelchairs with their chins I stay away from public roads. If I make a mistake on a trail and break my neck it's on me, but it's about risk minimisation.
It's funny you know, after my recent broken bone, of course the conversation came up with the wife about the sort of riding I do. Am I getting too old for it? Maybe I should think about doing some easier riding?

My instant thought was I'd rather suffer another major injury in an off-road accident than the much more likely outcome associated with road riding accidents!

For the moment I'm stuck with mostly road riding, especially in this lockdown and injury recovery situation. But will be limiting it to only the most favorable road and traffic conditions once I'm able to go off-road again. Otherwise only a regular commute (mostly paths) if I ever go back to the office!

Its a shame, as I do enjoy road riding. Nothing like feeling fit, powering through at high speed under you're own power.

gregb

Likes Dirt
It's anecdotal, but I really do feel there's difference in how motorists drive around me depending on whether I'm in 'commuting' attire (mtb shorts, t-shirt, maybe jumper and backpack) compared to when I've got a cycling jersey on.
Having pockets on the back of your shirt is almost like waving a red rag at a bull
I have noticed the same thing.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
AFAIK, in Europe, the driver is assumed to be automatically at fault in a collision with a cyclist, unless the driver is able to prove otherwise.
Correct for a few places

I had the opportunity to stay with Friends in northern Sweden. The city is set up for cycling, to the point where bike paths are cleared of snow before roads and they design for priority for bikes. It was bloody awesome to ride around that town. (Umeå for those playing at home)

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I notice the same thing. I ride to work in hi vis and work boots and rarely get any crap from anyone. Totally different attitude if I'm riding clipless and in a jersey.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is another fresh example that even if you negligently drive straight over someone, you are not held responsible.
Probably only if you kill them! If even then.

This was a guy on another forum who had his 1 or 2 month old $7000 bike written off in a crash a few weeks ago.

Another update on my saga. The police have said:
The crash has been assessed and it will not be investigated by Police.
All crashes have to meet the investigative criteria to be investigated, your crash did not meet any of the criteria.
Breaching the Road Traffic Code does not meet the prescribed thresholds for investigative action.
As a reminder, this is the incident they will not be investigating:
https://upride.cc/incident/invisible-on-a-roundabout/

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Here is another fresh example that even if you negligently drive straight over someone, you are not held responsible.
Probably only if you kill them! If even then.

This was a guy on another forum who had his 1 or 2 month old $7000 bike written off in a crash a few weeks ago.

Another update on my saga. The police have said:
The crash has been assessed and it will not be investigated by Police.
All crashes have to meet the investigative criteria to be investigated, your crash did not meet any of the criteria.
Breaching the Road Traffic Code does not meet the prescribed thresholds for investigative action.
As a reminder, this is the incident they will not be investigating:
https://upride.cc/incident/invisible-on-a-roundabout/
Maybe if they paid rego and had identification plates... oh wait..