The death of riding innocence

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
In the last few years I’ve started riding again. I’ve always loved riding hard tails and built up a bike (I thought) would keep me on my toes and provide the love that was missing from my cold, black heart. And it did, until today!

I’m up at Ignition and all my friends are riding FS bikes. So far I’ve ignored their jibes and sideways glances and just ridden my heart out. I’ve never really been tempted to buy a FS bike (aside from the super cool purple Intense Uzzi) and I’ve never demoed a FS the last few times I’ve had the opportunity either... but all that changed today.

Whilst ambling around the tents at Ignition a glimmer caught my eye. Upon closer inspection, the glimmer turned out to be an XL 2018 Canyon Torque, with 170mm of love up front and had never been ridden. I thought one run would remind me of how awesome my HT was and confirm that indeed, HT4Lyf! I finalised my sell-out and loaded the bike onto the trailer, to the disbelief of my friends, and focused on not dying.

Holy cow, the Torque was unreal! I was trying to ride looser than ever before, to see just how forgiving FS was and I was absolutely stoked with just how much fun it was. Everything, (except climbing) felt better: Every poor line choice was absorbed; every mistake was forgiven and every misgiving removed.

Whilst I feel a little dirty admitting it, I really want a 170mm FS steed to compliment my hard tail...

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Well if you do get a FS bike you will have a blast on that for a while then the poor old Eccentric sitting ignored in the corner will catch your eye one day and you’ll take it out and you will be reminded just how fucking fun a well sorted hardtail can be.
I love having both. Such different personalities. Couldn’t live without either now.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That two bike option sounds more sensible than many, myself included who have bikes with lots of overlap.

Get into demoing others because the first FS rig will always seem amazing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can get most rear shocks tuned these days so that pedal platform is almost locked out and you can have the best of both worlds.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Get into demoing others because the first FS rig will always seem amazing.
And be sure to try and demo somewhere there isn't an shuttle service available unless that's the only way you'll ever use it. Some long-travel bikes can pedal uphill amazingly well, but (IMO) they are still very much in the minority despite all the media hype...

A really soft/supple suspension dually can be a bit of a temporary 'high' as well. Great when just plowing through stuff because that's different to your norm, but riding one regularly can get dull if you don't have (or choose to ride) the trails to justify the travel. I like to feel a bit more connected to the trail, and prefer mid-travel bikes for that reason. Enough to take then jarring harshness out of the equation, but still provide plenty of feedback to keep you feeling engaged with the trail. That's just me though!

goobags

Likes Dirt
From a HT to a 170mm dually is a massive step - no wonder if felt so good. Definitely try something smaller before buying anything. Climbing on my Spitfire is very slow compared to my hardtail and they can take a ride to readjust to line choice before feeling confident again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safreek

Just get a downhill bike for everything, you will be surprised how quickly you will get used to going uphill, within reason.
Ditch the hardtail and get with the real world, 8 inch and over will be fine.
You will regret getting a short travel bike like the canyon in the end.
The photo pink poodle put up hits the nail on the head for proper men and hard girls

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Y=N+1

Just don’t sell the hardtail mate
I won't be selling the hardtail, I enjoy it way too much:)

I'm not terribly stressed about inefficient climbing, I'm happy to plod along slowly but surely, and I figure whatever I get will likely make me smile. I really like the Intense Uzzi and may try to get one whilst in the US next year...

One thing I noticed with the big bike was how many pedal strikes I had. I stubbed my toes so many times I thought they'd been rubbed off!