The Definitive Suspension Tuning Thread

top_dog

Likes Dirt
This is a post I whipped up with links and all sorts of stuff to help you understand your suspension and what you can do to it to make it better. I will add more as time goes on. At the moment it is just a couple of DH forks, but it will grow considerably. If you have suggestions as to what to include in this thread don’t hesitate to ask. I would also be very pleased to put up some of the better DIY mods like Rik's U-Turn Shermans. Enjoy.

Marzocchi Forks

All Marzocchi Forks

The Marzocchi Oil level tables are located here:

http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?LN=UK&Y=2005&Sito=mtb

And the Manuals are Here:

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/listSPAManuals.asp?IDFolder=126&IDA=28182&LN=UK&Sito=usa-mtb

04/05 888R/888RC

Go-Ride Article

There is a very good tuning guide over on Go-Ride.com which goes into some details about setting up and tuning your fork.

http://www.go-ride.com/article_888_tuning.html

Spring Weights - Cave Dweller

spring length is 300mm
Soft = 2.7 kg/cm = 15lbs/in
Stock = 3.1 kg/cm = 17lbs/in
Stiff = 3.4 kg/cm = 19lbs/in

Mojo Cartridges

Mojo, the makers of the famous Boxxcart have recently released a cartridge and spring kit for the 888. Apparently it has far better speed sensitivity than the standard damper.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/888_Cart.html

BOS Cartridges

Oliver Bossard’s company BOS has also recently released a pair of cartridges for the 888. These are extremely expensive and are apparently very very good, but so dear.

BOS Engineering Cartridges (Translated from French)

uDi's Low Speed Compression Sleeve

How To
Thought this might interest other 888 owners out there.
This mod works for the 04 888R, 05 888RC, and the 05 66RC, which all run an adjustable HSCV cartridge for compression damping.

Now the problem was, the cartridge only offered damping in the last 2-3 inches of travel, leaving very little compression damping in the earlier part of the stroke. Not enough low speed compression damping meant the otherwise excellent fork would dive excessively during hard cornering and hard braking.

The culprit for this was the set of 5 holes on the compression cartridge that allowed oil to escape earlier in the stroke rather than forcing it through the actual damper (the shim stack).

The first two images that I have attached at the bottom of this post are full size pictures of the compression cartridge if you want more of an idea of where these holes are located.

Now those of you who have read the go-ride article on the 888, will know that marzocchi makes an adjuster that allows you to cover combinations of these holes - but after pricing it up it came to about au$80-90. Stuff that!

So I decided to make my own.
I started with a 55mm length of 20mm OD PVC piping (actual OD was 19.5mm) and the ID was roughly 15mm. Now the 888 cartridge has an OD of approximately 17mm, so it took some filing to get the inside of the PVC down to the right size - the trick here is to get it so it will slide on fairly tightly and not loose, as that is how it will stay on. I put my round file in an electric drill to get most of it shaved out and then did the rest by hand, checking for fit on the cartridge often. The finished product was 44mm long, but start with 55 so you have more to play with later.

I drilled 3 different sets of holes in the sleeve to give me 3 different settings (better pictures of the sleeve alone are attached at the bottom of the post). I found covering only the small lower holes just made the fork ramp up quicker (ie: not much use), so covering the two large upper holes is the way to go. My advice would be to use that (Setting 1) as a starting point and go from there.

The diagram shows which holes are covered on the compression cartridge for each setting, and the photos below them show the real thing.

Left Cartridge

Right Cartridge

Sleeve

Set Up
I ran it in "Setting 1" for about a month, and it was definitely an improvement over stock but not a huge difference. My fork setup then was Motul Factory-Line 7.5wt, 220ml per leg, and the compression knob wound pretty much all the way in. The fork wasnt blowing through it's travel too much but there was still a bit much dive when cornering hard. An important side effect to note when using a compression sleeve is that it will affect the bottom out resistance. I found I was only using 180mm of travel, so the plan was to drop the oil level next time.

I've just changed it to "Setting 3" today, which closes 4 of the 5 holes, and dropped the oil level to 205ml per leg. Just pushing on it on the driveway the difference isn't huge, but once you start moving and cornering at speed you start noticing a big difference. The fork stays higher in its travel and doesn't blow through nearly as many inches. I'm yet to hammer some DH runs with it but this seems to be the ticket. I'm still running the compression knob wound all the way in but if I feel there is too much damping i'll back it off a bit.

I believe treggs is running 10wt in the compression side instead of 7.5wt, and he is running the equivalent of "Setting 2" (2 large holes and 1 small hole covered) - apparently it works quite well. I think 7.5wt is fine for my weight (~60kg) but for a heavier rider the 10wt in the compression side would give you more damping again.

That's it for now.
Feel free to PM uDi if anyone wants more details.

A big thanks goes out to treggs on here - he was the first one on here to do the mod to my knowledge, and a bit of inspiration goes a long way.

--Udi

Monster T

Monster T exploded diagram - Cave Dweller

IS here: http://forums.farkin.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25190

Spring Rates - Cave Dweller

Spring length is 320mm
Green = stock springs in 99-02 monsters = progressively wound springs, start at 2.5 kg/cm and ramp up to 3.5 kg/cm (14lbs/inch to 19.6lbs/inch)
Yellow = Soft = 2.5 kg/cm (14 lbs/inch)
White = Medium = 3 kg/cm (16.8 lbs/inch)
Blue = Firm = 3.5 kg/cm (19.6 lbs/inch)
Red = heavy = 4 kg/cm (22.4 lbs/inch)

Cave Dweller's Air Sprung Monster Mod

I have been toying with the idea for a while to air spring my monster to shave some weight. There is various ways to do this, drilling in air valves into the cap of each leg is one (like zedros shiver), making some volume reducers like in 888's is another, and the other mod is to completely remove one cartridge of the fork and air spring it. The later is what i have done here.

NOTE:- If you do this i accept no responsibility for your actions, infact, don't do this, it will probably wreck your fork.

First step is to remove the entire cartridge, spring and spacers from one leg. This leaves a hole at the bottom. Get a bolt, stick it in there and put the foot nut back on the bottom. The bottom of the fork leg is now plugged and won't allow oil out.

Next, go to your local tire shop and ask for a tubeless car valve, they cost $5. Stick it into the hole in the valve cap that used to let the cartridge/preload/rebound adjsuters through. Fill the leg with 50-70ml's of oil to allow for lubrication.

NOTE:- there will now be nothing holding this leg together as you have removed the cartridge, it will be held together by the other leg and crowns. So, remeber that you need to release the air pressure from the fork before you undo the tripple clamps otherwise you will end up with a stachion rocket

Open up the other leg and drain the oil out. You will need to put a heavier spring in to compensate as you will only be running one spring, not two. You will also need to put heavier oil in to help slow down the rebound, stock it is 7.5wt, i mixxed up some 12wt oil and put it in, i set the oil level 10-15mm higher the the marzocchi recommendation to help with bottom out resistance. Put it back together and bobs your uncle, air sprung monster

Not sure of the air pressure, i am putting in between 15-20 pumps of my bike pump. Seals are holding the air fine, minimal leakage over the week just gone by.

The fork rides almost the same, slightly more harsh over small bumps due to the air pressure, but it doesn't bottom at all, and the rebound is fine, no nasty top out clunks. Biggest difference is the reduced weight, this has saved around 1.5lbs from the fork making it around 8.5lbs, the fork also feels alot more responsive, probably from the reduction in unpsrung mass.

Picture of modded top cap.

Shivers

Spring length is 334mm
Soft = 2.7 kg/cm (15 lbs/inch)
Medium = 3.2 kg/cm (18 lbs/inch)
Firm = 3.7 kg/cm (21 lbs/inch)

Exploded Diagram

02 Shiver DC dia. attached below

Attachments

Last edited:

SKT

Likes Dirt
Red Rocket said:
Good post so far, but I can see potential for an even better, more informative analysis
Lead on brother....... ;)

I'm a gumby when it comes to setting my sus up no matter how hard I try. I know I get it close but coudl do much much better.
Its great opportunity to learn from the much more learn-ed amongst the Farkineers.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Red Rocket said:
You could include quite a few more things about various forks. What about some info on all the other Boxxer modifications.....
What the fark? Show some appreciation for others contributions or earn yourself a holiday mate. Geez...

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Here are some spring weights that i put together a while ago.

Fox 40 Spring length is 480mm
Blue code spring = 40lb
Green Code Spring = 45Lb
Yellow code spring = 50lb.

Dorados / xvert carbons
Blue soft = 60 lb
red medium = 80 lb
yellow firm = 100 lb

Monster T's Spring length is 320mm
Green = stock springs in 99-02 monsters = progressively wound springs, start at 2.5 kg/cm and ramp up to 3.5 kg/cm (14lbs/inch to 19.6lbs/inch)
Yellow = Soft = 2.5 kg/cm (14 lbs/inch)
White = Medium = 3 kg/cm (16.8 lbs/inch)
Blue = Firm = 3.5 kg/cm (19.6 lbs/inch)
Red = heavy = 4 kg/cm (22.4 lbs/inch)

Shiver Spring length is 334mm
Soft = 2.7 kg/cm (15 lbs/inch)
Medium = 3.2 kg/cm (18 lbs/inch)
Firm = 3.7 kg/cm (21 lbs/inch)

Boxxer Spring length is 390mm
White = Soft = 10lbs/inch
Silver = Medium = 15lbs/inch
Yellow = Firm = 20lbs/inch
Red = Extra firm = 25lbs/inch (??i think??)

888 spring length is 300mm
Soft = 2.7 kg/cm = 15lbs/in
Stock = 3.1 kg/cm = 17lbs/in
Stiff = 3.4 kg/cm = 19lbs/in

Here is a link to a monster air mod i did

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=42516&highlight=monster

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps Cave Dweller. I'll put them in the original post if thats cool?

And Toodles are you yellign at me or the other guy?:confused:

That Monster Mod is awesome, I think that someone did a shiver mod as well, maybe we could get that up, or the New Zealand BoxxAirs:D

Thansk guys and keep it coming:p

Bummer just realised I am over the 10000 character post limit and it wont let me post it. I would split it up but then some of it would be down the bottom of the page. Any ideas?

I posted it down below, but id a mod can move it up to be post #2 that would be sweet.

Last edited:

top_dog

Likes Dirt
General Suspension

Basics of Suspension - S.

Here is a link to a fantastic article written by S. which explains a heap of info about suspension and the basics of how it works. A very interesting read. Thanks S.:D

http://www.farkin.net/wiki/index.php/The_basics_of_suspension_-_terms_and_general_info

Rock Shox Forks

All Rock Shox Forks

The Rock Shox Oil Weights and Volumes can be found on the Sram site here:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/oil_chart.php

The manuals can be found on the Sram site here:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/index.php

Boxxers

Known Issues (mostly taken from TF Tuned)

• '04 & '05 Boxxers suffer from a lack of low speed rebound damping in the top 2-3" of the stroke. This can cause the front wheel to wash-out when exiting turns.
  • In 05 forks (not sure on 06) the new 8" lower leg assembly has much longer lower bushings which, if not fitted correctly, can cause a high degree of stiction. This leads to what can only be described as a harsh & sticky small bump ride.
  • RockShox engineers worked hard to improve the rebound damping on '03 and'04 Boxxer forks. This they did, but unfortunately they created another problem - high-speed compression spiking & inconsistent rebound. Spiking is when you hit a medium to large square-edge bump and the fork cannot compress quickly enough causing the shock to be transmitted to the handlebars. Add to this a very ratchety feel & the fact that the fork is often over sprung (stock springs are suitable for 100kg/15 stone + rider) you can see that there's room for improvement.

Spring Rate Table and Spring Weights- Also from TF Tuned and Cave Dweller
Rider Weight (Kg)
Rider Weight (lbs)
Spring - Lefthand/Righthand

45 - 55
100 - 120
White/White

55 - 65
120 - 145
White/Silver

65 - 75
145 - 165
Silver/Silver or White/Yellow

75 - 85
165 - 190
Silver/Yellow

85 - 95
190 - 210
Yellow/Yellow (how they come)

95 - 110
210 - 240
Yellow/Red

110 - 120
240 - 265
Red/Red

Spring length is 390mm
White = Soft = 10lbs/inch
Silver = Medium = 15lbs/inch
Yellow = Firm = 20lbs/inch
Red = Extra firm = 25lbs/inch (??i think??)

Ti Springs - TF Tuned

You can fit the '05 8" Titanium springs to all models of 7" Boxxers with the aid of a new spacer kit & machining of the compression side spring perch (the 8" springs are 30mm longer & 1-2mm less internal diameter than 7").

Motion Control Damping in pre 06 Boxxers - TF Tuned

You can add Motion Control damping to any Boxxer from '03 & dump all of the plastic! (No more rebound failures) If you have a '03 or '04 Boxxer it will have 7" of travel & '05 keeps 8". If you want 8" on '03/'04 then you need to add new '05 or '06 lower leg assemblies.

Mojo Boxxcart

Mojo has had the Boxxcart for a while now. Most people who have had them love them. They are made from Fox parts (from Vanilla's mostly I think), so they are reliable and very bling looking. These are available from DH Direct in Australia.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/boxcart.html

For more information on Boxxers please visit the very informative TF Tuned Site where I got most of this info.

Fox Forx

Fox Manuals

Fox have recently made their serviceguides available to the public. Very detailed info including cartridge service instructions.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

Fox mauals can be found here:
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/index.htm

Fox 40

Dimensioned Drawing - Cave Dweller

Use this to work out your head angle and such. Shows axle to crown length and other valuable info:
http://forums.farkin.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25188

Spring length is 480mm
Blue code spring = 40lb
Green Code Spring = 45lb
Yellow code spring = 50lb

Manitou Forks

Manuals

Manitou Manuals can be found here:
http://www.answerproducts.com/productmanuals.asp

Dorado

Blue soft = 60 lb
red medium = 80 lb
yellow firm = 100 lb

Nb. These also apply to the Manitou Xvert Carbon

All Forks

Initial Set Up for DH

1. First up is to set the sag. For DH you need about 20-25%. To check your sag place a zip tie on your stanchion and sit on your bike while some one holds it up so that you can put both feet up. Then push the zip tie down to the seal (or get your mate to do it) and then stand up into the 'attack' position. This should move your zip tie up the staunchion. Carefully get off the bike so as not to over compress it past where the zip tie is. Then measure the distance from the top of the seal to the bottom of the zip tie. This is your sag. Then divide your sag by the total amount of travel, then multiply that figure by 100. Eg I measure 50mm sag on a 200mm travel fork. 50÷200=0.25, 0.25x100=25% Here is a very useful video on checking sag from Mojo: http://www.mojo.co.uk/sag_3.html It is Fox Forx, but the principals are the same for all makes.
  2. Now after measuring your sag you may need to adjust your preload, or if this doesn't offer enough adjustment you will need new springs. It is very crucial to get your spring rate right or your fork will never feel right.
  3. Compression Damping. For DH you really don't want to run any compression damping if you can get away with it. Some forks, like 888's for example, have a tendancy to dive under braking or cornering, and these forks do need some compression damping. Remeber, if your compression damping is too great you will lose all small bump sensitivity.
  4. Rebound damping is a bit trickier. On a fork it is better to, run it on the fast side, so that it doesn't pack down on sucessive hits and send you over the bars. You want to try and get it to a point where if you push down really hard and pull back up again (on the handlebars) in quick succession, you get the wheel to just leave the ground by about an inch. But remeber it is better on the fast side if you can't get it perfect.

Tuning trouble-shooting

Not using full travel, feels harsh, poor traction while making turns Causes: Overly stiff springs or compression damping

Solutions: Lower air pressure; reduce compression damping; softer coil springs

Bottoms, soft throughout travel Causes: Spring rate too low throughout travel, or too little compression damping

Solutions: More air pressure; increase compression damping; stiffer Coils Springs

Excessive sag, feels soft initially
but doesn't bottom Causes: Initial spring rate or preload too low; spring too progressive

Solutions: Add air pressure or increase spring preload

Harsh over small bumps but uses full travel Causes:Initial spring rate or preload too high, springing not progressive enough, or too much compression damping

Solutions: Lower air pressure or install softer springs; reduce compression damping; reduce spring preload

Takes first bump in a series well but harsh over later bumps, poor traction in washboard corners Causes: Too much rebound damping
Solutions: Reduce rebound damping if adjustable - Non adjustable - reduce oil weight

Too Much Compression Symptom: Ride is harsh, but not as bad as too much rebound. As speed increases, so does harshness. Rear end will want to kick when going over medium to large bumps ( shock resist movement even on medium size bumps)

Solutions: Decrease compression until harshness is gone

Tip: To learn what damping can do for your ride, experiment with the compression adjustments and rebound adjustments ( if your shock model has them ). We suggest you start with compression damping... Turn compression adjuster to full firm ride your bike for awhile and then turn the adjuster to full soft. This will give you an idea what compression damping can do. Like wise do the same with your rebound adjusters..... Feel what fast is ..... Feel what slow is

Wheel chatters over small bumps during braking or downhills Causes: Too much preload (perhaps because of soft springs) causing suspension to top out; possibly too much compression damping

Solutions: Reduce preload decrease compression

Front end springs back too quickly after bumps, poor traction in bumpy corners Causes: Not enough rebound damping

Solutions: Increase rebound damping if adjustable

Fork Oil and Spring Weight Article
Here is a very intersesting article about Fork oil and Springs. You can save your self some money by buying your oil from a moto shop rather than from your LBS.

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm

All Rear Shocks

Spring rate calculator

There is a very good spring rate calculator on TF Tuned and also on Mojo

Last edited:

Rik

logged out
This is fantastic work, and will definately be perpetuated in the Farkin Wiki once that gets going. Thanks for your efforts Top Dog :cool:

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
If anyone needs exploded views of marzocchi forks, I have most of them available in PDF.

Juls

treggs

Treggs Tuned
Just to add to all the info in here.. I have two rear suspension articles in issue 2 and 3 of [R]evolution. I can't post them here (copyright reasons) but the first one is based on the 5th element/Swinger and the second on the Fox DHX. I suspect I will be writing one on the Boxxer WC's shortly, once I have played with mine for a while.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Thanks for that stuff on the boxxers. I understand a little bit more now. This thread should be stickied!!

SKT

Likes Dirt
Juls said:
If anyone needs exploded views of marzocchi forks, I have most of them available in PDF.

Juls
Feel free to hand anything or everything over thx Juls. I'd love to have those PDFs on hand.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Added a link to S.'s fantastic article on the basics of suspension and wrote a section of setting up your DH fork. I will do a section on shocks this arvo hopefully, if I don't get too much homework:eek:

Awesome, thanks for the stickyage mods and admin!