The Definitive Suspension Tuning Thread

Sov

Likes Dirt
dillon said:
An 05 Fox 36 dimensional dwg, might be of some use to someone.
Interesting stuff - some big tolerances on those Fox drawings! 10mm on both extended and compressed lengths... I'd be pretty bummed if I bought a 150mm fork and only got 140mm out of it (but I'd be pretty stoked if it was 160mm!) I'm surprised about the 4mm tolerance on dropout width - I would have thought they'd keep that tighter to reduce any chance of binding.

covert wolf

Likes Dirt
good job... umm i guess adding some common forks that come with ht's like pikes would be cool... considering everyone has an stp:)

Jack_toda_Max

Likes Dirt
Hey top_dog.
I'm the guy who was at Brookfield with the white Demo 8. Good article.

Anyway,
Does Mojo do a kit for 05 Boxxer Race forks. It seems they only do 03,04 and 06.

Pretty stoked to see my 05 Boxxer Race have Ti springs! Pitty they are for an 85-95kg rider though. I'm 60kg I think.

I don't understand why they have two springs. Is it one in each leg or both in the same leg but on top of each other. So one for lo speed and one for hi?(Different weights)

And I heard my 05 Boxxer Race forks have adjustable compression damping, but it's internal??
The rebound is external and is at the bottom of the right leg.

I'm thinking of doing something intime with the forks first service. Maybe upgrade to Team spec with hi+lo speed damping. (IS THIS EXTERNAL) and getting springs + good oil to suit my weight. Or should I get a mojo kit?
What do you guys reckon?

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Hey Jack, I know who you are...:D

Yes they do do a kit for 05 Boxxers.

Are you sure they are Ti, only the WC's should have them, but maybe someone put some in yours:confused:

There is one spring in each leg, although, if you are light enough I can't see why you wouldn't be able to run just one x-firm spring, thus saving weight. Rock Shox would probably take a dim view of this however...

Boxxer Races don't have a compression damper at all. The left leg is empty.

If you upgrade them to Team spec, you will have high/low compression, but only the low is (semi) external.

If I was you, I would get the mojo kit, they are about $500 though.

Jack_toda_Max said:
Hey top_dog.

Anyway,
Does Mojo do a kit for 05 Boxxer Race forks. It seems they only do 03,04 and 06.

Pretty stoked to see my 05 Boxxer Race have Ti springs! Pitty they are for an 85-95kg rider though. I'm 60kg I think.

I don't understand why they have two springs. Is it one in each leg or both in the same leg but on top of each other. So one for lo speed and one for hi?(Different weights)

And I heard my 05 Boxxer Race forks have adjustable compression damping, but it's internal??

I'm thinking of doing something intime with the forks first service. Maybe upgrade to Team spec with hi+lo speed damping. (IS THIS EXTERNAL) and getting springs + good oil to suit my weight. Or should I get a mojo kit?
What do you guys reckon?

S.

ex offender
Jack_toda_Max said:
Hey top_dog.

Anyway,

What do you guys reckon?
Pre-06 Boxxer Races have NO compression damping (other than whatever is caused by back-flow through the rebound damper). They have one spring in each leg so you can fine-tune the overall spring rate. At 60kg you should probably be running two silver springs or even one silver one white. If you're going to upgrade the internals, consider getting the 06 Motion Control internals - it gives you an external low speed compression adjuster and a much improved external rebound adjuster (has about 4 turns instead of 1/4 turn). It's also much smoother than any of the 05 spec dampers. Mojo does make a kit for the 05 forks (it's the same as the 06 spec one), but I'd check out the Motion Control upgrade and go for whichever is cheaper personally.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I would just like to update the air mod i did.

I ended up almost destroying a cartridge. The heavy oil (12.5wt) appears to have effected the rebound damping circuit, probably bent the shims. Too heavy an oil and asking the one cart to do all the work.

As was also pointed out to me on another forum, the only thing holding the fork together was one footnut. I thought it a bit dodgy so went back to normal, and lucky i did. When i pulled it apart i found the rebound plunger shaft had decided to detach it self from the cartridge, i reckon it would only have been a matter of time before the cartridge bent/exploded and the lowers fell off :D

Anyway, stay tuned for the next instalment of "modding a monster T", where i put a dorado TPC+ damper into a monster T..........

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
Cave Dweller said:
Anyway, stay tuned for the next instalment of "modding a monster T", where i put a dorado TPC+ damper into a monster...... it's time to go smoke some more crack!
Fixed that for you mate ;)
Please don't kill me

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know where I could find an exploded view of a dorado tpc+

Any idea where to look would be appreciated.(not the Answer site. I does not have one... fork too old):D

comms

Likes Bikes
Alright people…
Looking for some really basic advice (so don’t pay me out:mad: hehe)
My forks are working fine, (Marzocchi EXR Comp) however,

One side is properly lubricated, but the other is dry and squeaks… What would ya use to fix it??

S.

ex offender
comms said:
Alright people…
Looking for some really basic advice (so don’t pay me out:mad: hehe)
My forks are working fine, (Marzocchi EXR Comp) however,

One side is properly lubricated, but the other is dry and squeaks… What would ya use to fix it??
Try getting some teflon-based lubricant (such as tri-flow, or most chain lubes), pull the dust seals back off the stanchion with your fingernail, and squirt a bit of lube down under the seals. Then bounce up and down on the forks 10-20 times and see if it feels any better.

comms

Likes Bikes
S. said:
Try getting some teflon-based lubricant (such as tri-flow, or most chain lubes), pull the dust seals back off the stanchion with your fingernail, and squirt a bit of lube down under the seals. Then bounce up and down on the forks 10-20 times and see if it feels any better.
Sweet, cheers thanks... Will Do.
(yeah didn't wanna go using sumin that fucked the forks...)

tnankie

Likes Dirt
Dhx

Can anyone help me with the DHX 5.0/AIR?

The boost valve, is this the same as compression dampening? (As in high Boost valve pressure [bvp] (150psi) is like running lots of high speed compression dampening)

As far as I can work out you can treat the propedal as a low speed setting and use the BVP to control high speed, but the bottom out effects this in the rate at which the high speed dampening ramps ... except the bvp seems to effect everything including low speed, since as far as I can tell it pressurises the oil (actually it seems to reduce the pressure difference of the oil flowing through the compression circuit. Hence slowing the oil making the shock slower to react, sort of making the shock stiffer, but without changing the spring-rate.)

So as far as I can work out, there is an ideal spring-rate from which you shouldn't deviate from (main chamber pressure for the air/correct coil and preload for the 5) giving 25% sag (depending on bike/geometry) then you should leave it well alone and only change the BVP and bottom-out and propedal, assuming you find the right rebound setting for the spring-rate.

So if you want a plush day, or your only going to ride little terrain but you want to use all of your travel back the BVP (75-80) off, and the bottom out (2nd line). But if you are going big crank up the BVP (142) and in (all the way) with the bottom-out.

Propedal depends on BVP for me, if I am running enough (120+) BVP I find I don't need any propedal at all.

Now my questions, has anyone found them to be useable with the bottom out all the way out?
Des anyone use a different combo of settings to me? (High BVP bottom-out out/bottom-out in BVP low)
Can anyone notice the effect of propedal at all after 120psi on the BVP?
Oh and is the unit noisy on the compression stroke? (Not the rebound)

I am trying to workout if my shock is fucked (I operated it with the BVP at 0psi, not such a good idea on the face of it)

Tho-R

Likes Dirt
I did a search and couldnt find what i am looking for.

Are all marocchi 66's convertable to and from 150-170mm?? (im guessing changed spacers and what not)

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HEy guys, Just wondering if anyone knows Rear spring compatability between shocks? I'm looking for a new spring for my swinger but, don't know what other brand springs are compatable?

Cheers

Turley

TomHelly

Likes Dirt
here's my little mod to my forks:
i have marzocchi z1 fr2's (2005, 150mm etc.)
inside the left leg there is a spring and a washer and piece of pvc spacer
i removed the springs and stuff, added some oil and replaced the top cap
the left leg has a air preload valve, so i added enough air to give me about the same sag as the coil spring, then i started with the rebound adjustment off and slowly put it on until the top out was not harsh and it felt like a spring top out
the advantages: the first 3 inches of travel are heaps more supple even witht the same sag as the springs, they are extremely difficult to bottom due to the progressive spring rate of air (only noticeable in the last 3 inches)
and for anyone who cares it saves weight but who's counting?
if you do this just make sure you make the rebound speed quite slow because air spring back very powerfully

railit1

Likes Bikes
Travis

Anyone got any service info on the Travis triple? Is there a service manual available anywhere?

Thanks