AM The downgrade - Norco Fluid HT+

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory the freestroke on Shimano brakes doesn't do too much.

But I am curious about how far inboard your levers are mounted. Usually you'd mount them out a bit so your index finger naturally falls to the bend in the lever where you'd get the best leverage.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
From memory @The Duckmeister has written in detail about this before.

Something about it initially also changing the lever position, then the lever position needs to be changed back to where you want it??

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
From memory the freestroke on Shimano brakes doesn't do too much.

But I am curious about how far inboard your levers are mounted. Usually you'd mount them out a bit so your index finger naturally falls to the bend in the lever where you'd get the best leverage.
Yeah. The stock Norco grips are quite wide, so if I have my hand in the position I want it, it's pretty much spot on.

But I haven't ridden in anger yet. So there could be some fiddling to come.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
From memory @The Duckmeister has written in detail about this before.

Something about it initially also changing the lever position, then the lever position needs to be changed back to where you want it??
The stroke adjust screw advances the master piston. Bleed the brake with the screw adjusted OUT, then adjust the screw for desired contact stroke. It will pull the lever in as the piston is advanced. Then use the reach adjust knob to set lever position.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
The stroke adjust screw advances the master piston. Bleed the brake with the screw adjusted OUT, then adjust the screw for desired contact stroke. It will pull the lever in as the piston is advanced. Then use the reach adjust knob to set lever position.
So it basically advances the piston bringing the pads out a bit so it bites earlier?

Makes sense.

Urgh. I need to get some mineral brake fluid then.

I have a bleed kit with the two syringes still from my Guides. So I think that should broadly achieve what I need from that perspective.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Wife is going to the Wiggles with my 2yo today.
Leaving 1pm, home late evening.
Lysty here I come!

Shoukd be interesting. First time ever on trails with a HT for me.

And the XCR forks say they are not to be used for anything other than "leisure XC".

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Well. I can only summarise that as a pleasant surprise!

I was honestly terrified that I would hate riding a HT in anger. But the HT and 27.5+ wheel combination was fantastic!

There wasn't really any moments where I didn't feel confident in attacking the trail, rather than tip-toeing through it. Pedalling was AMAZING and the only times I was really feeling I had a HT was rocky or rooty sections.

Turns out.... MANY MANY roots at Lysterfile. You were indeed correct @slowmick. Only Did 13km gave out. I did feel myself working more through sections I would have previously bombed through and instead was looking for a good line. But still had a blast.

The goooooood stuff.
The brakes. I have to thank @moorey for pointing me at these. Great bite and I had a LOT of confidence in them. I would go as far as saying I prefered these over the guides I had on my Enduro. And I loved my Guides.

The tyres. Being a fairly tame looking tyre I was expecting to be washing out and struggling for tracking everywhere. Super dusty today so I was really expecting to go for a short flight and a hard landing today. But the WTB Ranger gripped great! And being a 27.5x2.8 it smoothed out the trail and some of the harder hits quite nicely. I loved it. The only issue, the rear strap on my bike rack doesn't make it around the tyre so I have to deflate it a bit. So the first thing I had to do at the trail was pump...

The fork. After doing some reading about this fork, and it explicitly saying it should be used for nothing else by leisure XC. I was expecting my 100kg self (including gear) would cause it to fail. But... It did the job. I did use all its travel, but I used most the travel on Enduro too so I really cannot complain. If performed admirably.

The frame. The geo is great. Very close to what the Enduro was in terms of head angle and a touch longer. Felt lovely and I still cannot get over how much better pedaling is on a HT. @Chriso_29er , I did get some PBs. Pretty much anything that involved a climb I got a PB or very good result.

Things to look at.
The pedals. The stock ones are plastic and they have integrated reflectors. So I didn't have high hopes for them to begin with but my foot did feel a bit loose here and there. Though I don't think I would go for something as aggressive as the Saints I had in the past, as I liked the fact I could move my foot a bit easier on the pins than the saints.

The front chainring. So the front ring is a 30t and the granny on the back is 42t. On my Enduro I had 32t and 42t which did the job well. Given how much better this is to pedal I think I will go 34t on the front. Here and there I did feel I was running out of gears on some of the faster bits.

The grips. The stock Norco grips are very, very narrow and rather hard. I prefer something with a bit more girth to wrap my <strike>mouth</strike> hand around. They also only lock on the inside which I didn't think would be an issue, but I did feel a little wiggle in them later in the day and one I felt that, I couldn't unfeel it.

The seat. Yeah so with this one from work go I thought I would need to upgrade. Then I did some riding around to playgrounds and stuff and it felt ok so I was like "maybe I just need my tooshy to harden up a bit?" but today I got that pins and needles feeling in my Lil'Jester after a section of sitting down. This will be top of the list to Santa.

But again. Fantastic day out and super happy with how this bike felt. Grimming ear to ear.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Welcome to the HT club!
Turns out.... MANY MANY roots at Lysterfile. You were indeed correct @slowmick. Only Did 13km gave out. I did feel myself working more through sections I would have previously bombed through and instead was looking for a good line. But still had a blast.
Imagine how much faster you'll be on a FS now you can spot those smoother lines ;)

The seat. Yeah so with this one from work go I thought I would need to upgrade. Then I did some riding around to playgrounds and stuff and it felt ok so I was like "maybe I just need my tooshy to harden up a bit?" but today I got that pins and needles feeling in my Lil'Jester after a section of sitting down. This will be top of the list to Santa.
Before the Fat Man comes, try dropping the nose of your seat down a notch or so

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
The rig in action. So awesome just crusing around the area to various playgrounds and stuff with the 2.0

And with some luck (A lot of luck actually since it involves AusPost) I would have some items from Santa arrive today to bling the bike a bit.