The eeb quick or stupid questions thread.

cammas

Seamstress
I am Using a 10 speed drive train lasts longer.
Some e bikes have 12 speed and 52 T rear cogs like my wifes Trek is unnecessary.
If or when I snap the rear derailleur, I will probably go to 11 speed Link Glide 11-50 or 11-46 cassette unless something new and fantastic comes along :rolleyes:

cammas

Seamstress
So I’m going to put my good wheels on the Trance and keep the stockies for unknown destinations etc, but what I’m looking at now is more trail oriented tyres. Currently running a Minion DHF and Dissector rear both 2.6, while great, are probably a little over aggressive for 90% of my riding.
Any recommendations for a good trail tyre? I have read or seen somewhere that Schawble Magic Mary with a Big Betty on the rear is a good option but would it be similar to what I already have?

Jabubu

let you google that for me
So I’m going to put my good wheels on the Trance and keep the stockies for unknown destinations etc, but what I’m looking at now is more trail oriented tyres. Currently running a Minion DHF and Dissector rear both 2.6, while great, are probably a little over aggressive for 90% of my riding.
Any recommendations for a good trail tyre? I have read or seen somewhere that Schawble Magic Mary with a Big Betty on the rear is a good option but would it be similar to what I already have?
A Magic Mary is one of the most aggressive front tyres out there - have you thought about a Tacky Chan on the front and Hans Dampf on the back, or even double Hans Dampf?

I've ridden the MM a couple of times and I like it so far, it grips to wet roots and rocks pretty well - it could possible be shithouse when it dries out a bit though.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
IMO most people are overtyred ie too big and too nobby.
I am happy riding Racing ralphs or similar Xc .
For serious downhilling and ebikes Aggressor on the front.
Depends where you ride and soil conditions.
We change our wheels ie tyres from 3 seasons to nobbies eg Shorties for winter conditions, once it gets muddy.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
A Magic Mary is one of the most aggressive front tyres out there - have you thought about a Tacky Chan on the front and Hans Dampf on the back, or even double Hans Dampf?

I've ridden the MM a couple of times and I like it so far, it grips to wet roots and rocks pretty well - it could possible be shithouse when it dries out a bit though.
Thanks, that’s why I put in stupid comments section no idea onSchwalbe tyres except for Hans Dampf. I will take a look tacky chan

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
IMO most people are overtyred ie too big and too nobby.
I am happy riding Racing ralphs or similar Xc .
For serious downhilling and ebikes Aggressor on the front.
Depends where you ride and soil conditions.
We change our wheels ie tyres from 3 seasons to nobbies eg Shorties for winter conditions, once it gets muddy.
Surely you mean an Assegai?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I would not put an Aggressor anywhere for doing down the steeper trails, unless you want to set a record time into the bushes. I am glad you have found what suits you and where you ride. This PSA partly comes from the question of "how many clicks do you run" and "What pressure is for this trail?"
Gee why is that ?
No wonder I keep crashing every 20 metres I am covered in wounds.

Can the Maxxis Aggressor be used as a front tire?
The Aggressor, as the name suggests, is an all-out tire designed for rough enduro-style riding. Advanced knob shaping creates extra gripping edges, and reinforced side knobs offer enhanced stability when cornering at speed. Works great as a front or rear tire

cammas

Seamstress
Ive ran them as a rear and actually liked it, Maxxis rep happened to be in the store that I was in the shop and the owner got the rep to come over. He suggested that with a Minion DHR up front which apparently was a common thing for people to do, was actually not a bad set up but looking to get away from Maxxis for a while.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Gee why is that ?
No wonder I keep crashing every 20 metres I am covered in wounds.

Can the Maxxis Aggressor be used as a front tire?
The Aggressor, as the name suggests, is an all-out tire designed for rough enduro-style riding. Advanced knob shaping creates extra gripping edges, and reinforced side knobs offer enhanced stability when cornering at speed. Works great as a front or rear tire
What would they know...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Ive ran them as a rear and actually liked it, Maxxis rep happened to be in the store that I was in the shop and the owner got the rep to come over. He suggested that with a Minion DHR up front which apparently was a common thing for people to do, was actually not a bad set up but looking to get away from Maxxis for a while.
Trail setup worth a look that is not maxxis:

WTB Vigilante front
WTB Trail Boss rear

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah I'm currently experimenting with a DHR as a front tyre and no complaints so far, less draggy than I was expecting.

As others have said, no way in f*** I'd be using an Aggressor on the front though. I don't even like them as a rear tyre given their indifferent wet weather grip.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
no way in f*** I'd be using an Aggressor on the front though.
Its mainly orange shale clay hardpack which sheds water and small rocks here , maybe the closer knobs suit that.
E bike front wheel has a Vigilante .
Muddy only in the flat spots June July if persistent rain then I go to a Shorty.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I like the DHF/Aggressor combo in 2.6F/2.4R
Trying out the Bonty SE6/SE4 in the same sizes at the minute and that does pretty well