The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

scblack

Leucocholic
Doesn't really matter. They need us - we're going to bully and bribe them into doing whatever the hell we want them to.
Of course you're right. Labor will just waste shitloads of money on this issue, and it doesn't matter then does it? As Ivan says, they'll just fork out any numbers they throw up in the air.

Ivan said:
Exactly. I see this agreement happening, because Gillard will offer them whatever they want to sign it.
On the Conroy internet issue. Its an interesting question Ivan. Labor lives by the polls. Are they ignoring this issue or something? It is a retarded policy that they have already spent many millions so far coming up with nothing yet.

On the other coin, I have heard no submission from Liberals on their position on this internet filter topic - anyone heard anything from them?

wombat

Lives in a hole
On the other coin, I have heard no submission from Liberals on their position on this internet filter topic - anyone heard anything from them?
Not recently, although the last I recall hearing was that they supported the principle of 'protecting the children'.
I wonder if that's one reason labour hold onto the policy; they know that Abbott's strong stance on protecting family values will make him less likely to hammer them on the issue?

Speaking of issues we haven't heard much about, what happened to the coalition climate change policy that they responded to the ETS with?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Of course you're right. Labor will just waste shitloads of money on this issue, and it doesn't matter then does it? As Ivan says, they'll just fork out any numbers they throw up in the air.

On the Conroy internet issue. Its an interesting question Ivan. Labor lives by the polls. Are they ignoring this issue or something? It is a retarded policy that they have already spent many millions so far coming up with nothing yet.

well cmon mate, it's not like Howards Pacific Solution was in any way cheap. Attacking labour about cost is wilfully narrow minded

And iirc the internet filter idea was floated byt the Howard government. Combine that with Abbott's religious views and you can take a good guess.

MasterOfReality

After forever
IIRC, the filter proposed by Howard was voluntary, not mandatory.

Conroy just about labelled anybody who didn't support his filter as kiddy fiddlers.

Who's religious views should be scrutinised more?

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Based upon the interview conducted with the president and heard on the ABC radio at approx 5:20 tonight, it seems like Timor Leste is open to having a refugee processing centre there, provided that it is run by UNHCR and isn't a prison camp.

I can see a major difference from Howard's Pacific Solution already...

scblack

Leucocholic
Based upon the interview conducted with the president and heard on the ABC radio at approx 5:20 tonight, it seems like Timor Leste is open to having a refugee processing centre there, provided that it is run by UNHCR and isn't a prison camp.

I can see a major difference from Howard's Pacific Solution already...
Guess what???

Gillard is now backing away from East Timor.

Yes, apparently it was - guess what - not really the only solution. No - really - they had other options (they just hadn't rung them yet).

She is making it up as she reads each poll result...sorry, Bill Shorten is making it up when he reads each poll result, he pulls the strings...or is that Arbib...or the other faction...

Stephen Smith, the Foreign Minister is now rushing to ring Papua New Guinea to see if they are available for the latest news release.

What a joke, is this a way to copy Howard's old policy??? They can't even copy what was already there. Hahaha this is truly laughable.

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
Guess what???

Yes, apparently it was - guess what - not really the only solution. No - really - they had other options (they just hadn't rung them yet).

She is making it up as she reads each poll result...sorry, Bill Shorten is making it up when he reads each poll result, he pulls the strings...or is that Arbib...or the other faction...

Stephen Smith, the Foreign Minister is now rushing to ring Papua New Guinea to see if they are available for the latest news release.

What a joke, is this a way to copy Howard's old policy??? They can't even copy what was already there. Hahaha this is truly laughable.
Read the transcript of Gillard's original speech.

There's nothing to be backed away from. East Timor was indicated as a possible location and the East Timorese President was interested in further discussions, which is where we stand right now, even with the completely amateurish gaffe of discussing it with the wrong person.

On the matter of the web filter - that moron Conroy needs to go. He reminds me of the idiot we've got running law & order here in WA. Completely disconnected from reality and on some sort of crusade. Backing it is a mistake by Gillard and it'll cost her.

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
IIRC, the filter proposed by Howard was voluntary, not mandatory.

Conroy just about labelled anybody who didn't support his filter as kiddy fiddlers.

Who's religious views should be scrutinised more?
Tony Abbott's. He's the one in the big chair on the other side of the house. I want to know where he stands on it and why. His track record as Health Minister smells slightly of his religion affecting his objectivity.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Guess what???

I was going to say - maybe the AWU didn't have Horta and Gusmao in their telephone directory? :)

MasterOfReality

After forever
Tony Abbott's. He's the one in the big chair on the other side of the house. I want to know where he stands on it and why. His track record as Health Minister smells slightly of his religion affecting his objectivity.
I agree to a certain extent. I want to hear his views on it, but its Conroy thats in government, not Abbott.

Middo

Likes Bikes
But Abbott hasn't got anything either. Listening to an interview on ABC this morning regarding the Timor gaffe, when pressed, his reply was that Opposition can't make firm arrangements, only the Government can. So yet again, he's just pointing the finger at how bad the other guys are, then offering no firm commitments or detail for his own party policies. His references to Nauru only make me think he's going to rehash old Howard policies, which makes me trust him even less.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pulling the net filter, eh?

Fuck it, still not voting for them. They suck.

Labor = incompetent, bumbling, red hair

Liberal = manipulative, conservative, Abbott

Damned if you do and damned if you do.

Time to check out some independent platforms.....

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Abbott is Howard without any balls, I didn't agree with what he stood for, but he stood for something. (Even if it was playing the race card to stay in) That's pretty much the only thing Howard had going for him. Abbott stands for nothing so far.

Opposition for opposition sake with nothing to offer = FAIL

scblack

Leucocholic
Pulling the net filter, eh?

Fuck it, still not voting for them. They suck.

Labor = incompetent, bumbling, red hair

Liberal = manipulative, conservative, Abbott

Damned if you do and damned if you do.

Time to check out some independent platforms.....
Not too sure on the internet filter being pulled out of contention. I am pretty Conroy's word was "delayed". I could well be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

It seems to be that they are delaying its attempted introduction until after the election, I will put money on the fact it is back on the agenda if they win the election. Seriously, I will put money on it.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
But Abbott hasn't got anything either. Listening to an interview on ABC this morning regarding the Timor gaffe, when pressed, his reply was that Opposition can't make firm arrangements, only the Government can. So yet again, he's just pointing the finger at how bad the other guys are, then offering no firm commitments or detail for his own party policies. His references to Nauru only make me think he's going to rehash old Howard policies, which makes me trust him even less.
I'm certainly no Abbott fan, but just to put his comments in context. The whole problem with Gillards solution was that she "volunteered" another country to do our dirty work without their consultation. Abbott can't enter negotiations with another country to offer an alternative solution from the oppostion side, so actually his comments are fair..
Having said that, he can offer an alternative to health, which he seems to be avoiding at the moment. If he wants people to judge his Opposition party as an alternative to the government then he has to offer something other than just critisism. That's our job as "Joe Public", and I don't want anyone spoiling that fun!!

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I'm certainly no Abbott fan, but just to put his comments in context. The whole problem with Gillards solution was that she "volunteered" another country to do our dirty work without their consultation. snip
No, she didn't, she said that she'd spoken with the President of Timor Leste regarding setting something up. It was never stated that it would happen, never said that it was a done deal, people just jumped to a conclusion.