The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Arete

Likes Dirt
No, she didn't, she said that she'd spoken with the President of Timor Leste regarding setting something up. It was never stated that it would happen, never said that it was a done deal, people just jumped to a conclusion.
While not restricted to either side of the coin, it a bit damned if you do damned if you don't. If they finalised the deal before releasing any de3tails to the public, they'd be accused of making cladestine dodgy deals. When they roll out the policy is it's embryonic phase, it's half arsed.

That said, however as I said eariler I think all offshore processing is a giant waste of everyone's time and resources.

Middo

Likes Bikes
I'm certainly no Abbott fan, but just to put his comments in context. The whole problem with Gillards solution was that she "volunteered" another country to do our dirty work without their consultation. Abbott can't enter negotiations with another country to offer an alternative solution from the oppostion side, so actually his comments are fair..
I never said his comment was unfair or untrue, the point is he can talk about (possible) policy, but use this line of argument to conveniently provide no detail or commitment to be held accountable to. This essential lack of concrete policy in my opinion does not provide a viable platform for an electable alternative government. It sounded too much like a clever "get out of gaol free card" to me. Perhaps he was just saying it in "the heat of battle"?

It was just illustrating a point of Abbott criticizing the government, yet again, while being evasive and non-committal when pressed on how he'd handle a similar situation. As you point out with your health example, a lot of criticism without providing any alternate policy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I haven't seen such a shit choice in PMs since Crean was leader of the opposition.

This election is going to suck, real bad. Pretty happy I won't be in Australia whilst it plays out.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
What a wanker comment above!! .. Personally, Id much prefer to see your arse kicked :p

What kind of a LOSER condones two burly blokes punching a woman and her assistant. Typical bullying/coward behaviour which is so typical of extreme labor/unionist views. Actually, this pretty much sums up their entire campaign approach.

And judging from your name brisney your from Brisbane. You should be more sympathetic to your "actually elected" leader PM Kevin Rudd (a fellow QLDer)- not a two-timing, backstabbing, ranga Gillard - who by the way should instead go for a role on Kath & Kim. She sounds like an absolute bogan and will be an embarressment to Australia if shes ever elected.

Ps. Yeah when's the poll going to be reset? For it is far too unrealistic - voting Labor is sooo like 1980s wharfies/unions knuckle head era.

So I guess the election campaign has started huh - get ready for ALOT of ME TOOs from the Labor side copying solid policy from the Libs...

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
What a wanker comment above!!No need for wanking mate, I spent last night with your sister... Personally, Id much prefer to see your arse kicked :p

What kind of a LOSER condones two burly blokes punching a woman and her assistant. Oh, FFS, how stupid are you? There is a WORLD of difference between saying 'you know you've dreamed of it' to actually condoning punching a woman in the faceTypical bullying/coward behaviour which is so typical of extreme labor/unionist views.LOL WOT? Actually, this pretty much sums up their entire campaign approach.

And judging from your name brisney your from Brisbane. You should be more sympathetic to your "actually elected" leader PM Kevin Rudd (a fellow QLDer)- not a two-timing, backstabbing, ranga Gillard - who by the way should instead go for a role on Kath & Kim. She sounds like an absolute bogan and will be an embarressment I'd be embarrassed if I could spell it to Australia if shes ever elected. I've no sympathy for any of them. And clearly you are a liberal kind of person so why the hell would you care how Kevin was treated? Unless of course you can gain some cheap political points, oh wait, that pretty much sums up their (Liberal) entire campaign approach.

Ps. Yeah when's the poll going to be reset? For it is far too unrealistic - voting Labor is sooo like 1980s wharfies/unions knuckle head era. Oh my, what a sagacious assessment of modern Australian politics. Now fuck off and let the adults talk in peace.

So I guess the election campaign has started huh - get ready for ALOT of ME TOOs from the Labor side copying solid policy from the Libs...
ten chars..........

Arete

Likes Dirt
voting Labor is sooo like 1980s wharfies/unions knuckle head era.
And our alternative is Tony Abbott. Think about it for 2 seconds. Tony Abbott.

How many things that come out of the guy's mouth actually make sense? The nicest thing even die hard Liberal voters I know have to say about him is "He's been pretty quiet lately and just let Labor make itself look stupid" Which essentially means the best thing about him is that when he doesn't talk, he's not saying anything stupid. Use your powers of deduction to evaluate his likely performance in upcoming election debates - and extrapolate that to his performance in representing our country in potentially heated negotiations. Gillard isn't exactly an inspirational speaker, but Tony Abbott?!?!

As for being embarrassed by Gillard - you wouldn't be the slightest bit embarrassed to have a democratically elected leader who holds Tony Abbott's beliefs on social policy, creation and climate change?

I'm far from saying I love Labor, but we've been served shit by both major parties, in terms of leaders and effective policy. As the voting Australian public we should be demanding better from the people who expect us to let them lead the nation.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
You should be more sympathetic to your "actually elected" leader PM Kevin Rudd (a fellow QLDer)- not a two-timing, backstabbing, ranga Gillard -
Anyone who is silly enough to believe that in the Australian politic system you elect the leader and not the party shouldn't be allowed to vote

And wow you trotted out both ranga and a Kath and Kim reference... +5 for originality:rolleyes:

Each time either parties mention border protection or boat people we should all throw eggs at them.

Both parties should grow a set of nuts and take the debate out of the political arena.
Real leaders lead, they don't play on peoples irrational fears

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Note to politicians generally:

Your constituents voted you in to help RUN the country. There may be another party with alternative policies who has greater numbers. Your role should be to assist them, not to hinder them.

By all means hold those with the numbers to account and suggest alternative policies or amendments, but you're being paid by us to help run the place, so grow a pair and do so.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Shits me that we pay half these morons a bucketload of money in order, it would seem, to stop people effectively governing the country. If you want to bitch about everything, go phone a talkback radio station. They're there to represent the public and get stuff done. If they don't want to help get stuff done, maybe we should be able to decide that we don't want to pay them their salaries and super...

workmx

Banned
Checks and balances?

Drew,

I am not saying this is right (or wrong), but guess that any party in opposition (as well as those with the balance of power in the upper house) will argue that they provide a degree of balance* to the process of policy forumlation and implementation.

* as in, "...scrutinise, appraise and criticise effectively the policies and administration of the Government..."

Agree on the waste of money issue, though.

IMO, there is only one thing more useless than the opposition... and that is a backbencher!

Johnny,

Thanks for resetting the poll.

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
In an ideal world, they would, but nowdays, it's just a numbers game.

You have the numbers you decide what will happen and everybody else bitches, heckles and tries to hold up the process as much as they can. Bipartisan support for any policy seems to be pretty bloody rare in my experience.

smeck

Likes Dirt
.........It's crocodile tears for a man that you despise simply for the colour of his party ticket and will condemn no matter what he does, not a concern for unjust rolling of a leader by people who felt he had lost his way and needed to go. You and I both know it, let's not pretend otherwise...........
There were no tears, I couldn't care less if the entirity of Parliament burnt to the ground and incinerated every Politician there. I'd probably charter a flight to fly the rest of them in so they didn't get missed. It's about process, having a partyroom with enough Character that individuals can make a decision based on beliefs, not the whims of factional leaders that are leading a vendetta because he swore at them over printing allowances and which the public heavily supported him for doing. They knew what he was like when they voted him leader, it's a bit rich to claim change in under 3yrs. Look at the disbelief being displayed by world leaders at Rudd's demise, that is our international credibility being tarnished by some factional numbers men playing Kingmaker.

Also, don't play some bullshit social card here, I'll bet my arse you didn't jump in your car and drive down to Marysville or Kinglake when it was burning. I'm suspicious you're not the beret wearing social activist you wish you were, you put $5 in a tin like every one else, you give only what you think you can afford. You actually talk about your fellow man, I don't, when it comes to actually digging into your pocket or giving your time to actually contributing I'll bet I'm equal to you. I'm a conservative, that doesn't mean I like to see people in poverty and living in ghettos, if you made the effort to understand the right wing perspective you'd know that.

...............Astoundingly, you will find that often my comments are objective, sorry if I call a spade a spade sometimes. You may also note that in areas of state policy where I'm not affected or have no knowledge I STFU. ..............
No you don't. I had a long and involved debate with you about water and your policy was largely derived around average domestic water usage, of which which you didn't know; you simply based your theory on your own water meter. The actual water usage stats had no effect on your opinion, you argued on even though your entire basis was up in smoke, no rethink, no adjustment, you kept bashing away with a flawed concept based on made up data. Your personal policy has nothing to do with reality or your fellow man, it's merely your ideal regardless of what people want, you have no interest in doing any research beyond what falls into your outstretched fingers. I propose that you think that 'getting informed' is something other people do when they stand in a group and listen to you speak. Calling a spade a spade is admirable, but not when you're holding a rake. A great theory is a wonderful thing, unfortunately if you can't verify it through experiments or uncorrupted stats/modelling then it's wrong and you need a new theory. No matter how revolutionary and wonderful your theory is, it's still wrong.

........ I think you'll find that the only one I refer to in that way at all is Abbot and I only took to referring to Abbot as "budgie smuggler" after approx a year of continually seeing people refer to our previous Prime Minister as Krudd. I................ You may wish to argue that it's just an accidental loss of a space when typing, but as it happens all the time, I'd argue otherwise. It's juvenile name calling. Sorry for lowering myself to the standards of the conservatives here.............
Once again your inability to get off your arse has led you down the garden path for no purpose. There was no name calling from anyone except you, you lowered the standards, you had no knowledge and you weren't affected yet you didn't STFU and waded in anyway. People called him KRudd, so what, did you do anything beyond rage about why, like think perhaps? Instead you just leapt to defence of someone that didn't need defending and threw yourself in front of a bus. He calls himself KRudd, it's how he signs his Twitter account. The only childish name calling came straight from your keyboard. Everyone else just called him what he calls himself, which is strangely enough his first initial and his surname. The dishonour we have done Kevin Rudd by calling him K Rudd and omitting the space, as he also does, my my I feel so dirty. Anyone would think we should be scrubbing ourselves in the shower listening to "The Crying Game". I wonder if I referenced 'Arete' and called him 'Arete'; would you be so eager to defend him? I've merely used the name he's given himself, best you defend his honour.

Abbott is Howard without any balls, I didn't agree with what he stood for, but he stood for something. (Even if it was playing the race card to stay in) That's pretty much the only thing Howard had going for him. Abbott stands for nothing so far.

Opposition for opposition sake with nothing to offer = FAIL
So you didn't vote for Beazley or Latham then, they opposed for the sake of opposing, was it "= FAIL" then too? Rudd wasn't Opposition for Oppositions sake, but he was a policy free zone, I'm quite sure you voted for him. Your criteria for gauging the effectiveness of Parlimentary Opposition seems to smack of hypocrisy depending on the colour of the occupants, be they red or blue. Perhaps you'd like to inform us on the role of Opposition, given the title it would seem somewhat self explanitory. Many would say they assist in the running of the country by making sure that policy presented to Parliament is rounded, costed, accurate, and will not be to the detriment of the constituents they represent. If the policy is inadequate isn't that the cue for the Opposition? The BER and Insulation programs were hideous policy, yet the Labor party used their numbers to bulldoze it through the House, some Opposition here would have saved some money and some lives, perhaps you should send a note to the Government for being as pathetic as the Opposition. If Parlimentary scrutiny is the role of the Senate, what does the Oppposition provide? I would say the Opposition are currently so vocal because the Government is so inadequate, a few Senators more intent on 'keeping the Barstards honest' and less focused on party politics is just what we need, oh for the Democrats pre Lees and Kernot, Don Chipp was a politician with a conscience.

As for Howard, he oversaw some pretty major transitions in this country, you'd benefit from sidelining your allegiance and acknowledging it. I have no issues with crediting Hawke and Keating with many achievements, why do you begrudge Howard so much? He did the work that enabled KRudd to 'save us' from the GFC. Go anywhere, even Crikey, and note the GDP graphs at how far ahead of the other Developed nations Australia was before the GFC and you'll see the results of what Howard stood for. If that's a result of 'playing the race card' and 'the only thing he had going for him' I just don't know what to say to you. You claim to spew something other than vitriol, yet you're still yet to contribute anything else to the discussion.

Before you roll out the Mining boom realise it started building late in 2005, Howard didn't benefit much at all until FY06, he really benefited in FY07 and he was ousted 5 months later. It's weak to attribute an 11yr term on the last 2, especially when the Future fund and HE fund were estabilshed instead of building oversized garded sheds for a McMansion price. He turned a $10bil budget deficit in 1996 into surplus in about 2 years, I readily acknowledge that a lot of that credit has to go to Keating for laying a foundation to build from, but it was Howard actually did it, not Keating. You can credit Rudd with saving us from the GFC, but it wasn't his fiscal policy that allowed him to do it, they hadn't actually initiated any policy when the GFC occured.

Saying sorry and ratifying Kyoto didn't save help Australia, the legacy left by Howard did. Perhaps it was just Australia 'playing along to the race card', are you really so condescending to the rest of the population to actually believe that? Perhaps you're as discerning a voter as the 70% of Australians that are rusted to their parties and will never change their vote regardless of policy or political action/inaction, in which case we should thank the 30% of swinging voters that save us from ourselves. Or perhaps the Australian voter as a whole considers many other issues a priority over your pet issues, in which case get over it.

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
I wonder what the voter turn out would be if voting wasn't compulsory?

I see no credible options. I am sure as shit not gonna vote for Abbott, but ALP does nothing for me either. Greens I guess, or just Donkey Vote????

Meh x infinity.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Annabel [email said:
Crabb@http://www.abc.net.au[/email]/elections/federal/2010/liveblog/]Both leaders up for interviews with AM before a day's glad-handing.

Julia Gillard, speaking in a noticeably slower voice than usual (is this inadvertent? Or a Queensland thing? Discuss...) undertakes to come up with something on climate change during the campaign.

Tony Abbott, meanwhile, says that as long as the rest of the world holds back from making commitments to a carbon price, so will he. More interestingly, he sharpens up his language on the Work Choices question, saying not only that Work Choices is "dead, buried and cremated" (leading Wil Anderson on Twitter to observe, correctly, that it would be much easier to rearrange the order and kill and cremate BEFORE burial) but also that it will never be dusted off in the future. "Not now, not ever."

This gives you an idea of how much of a problem Mr Abbott still thinks Work Choices is for him. But can an Abbott-led Coalition really disqualify itself from industrial relations reform in the future? And if so, what is the point of an Abbott-led Coalition?
Hmm, interesting. Surely what most people look to the coalition for is conservative fiscal policy, reduced taxes and IR reform similar to workchoices? Though, it wouldn't be the first time that someone has promised not do to do something (GST) or to do something (CPRS) and hasn't delivered.