The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Binaural

Eats Squid
How long before Dutton tries again?
My guess is that he can't make the case for it right away. Like a snake in the grass, he's going to wait for the party to continue not turning around then strike a few months out from the election.

(note: this assumes that the government is able to survive the inevitable vote of no confidence when parliament resumes)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Dutton is Abbott's pawn in all this. ScoMo is a better result. Abbott's sister as member for Wentworth (assuming) will do no favours for Abbott. Lurch has more charisma and life than Dutton. As my local member I sent Dutton an email outlining my take on his fuckwittery.

Unfortunately (IMO) Shorten will win in a landslide and ScoMo will be seen as the cause. This may bring uncle Tony back from the abyss as Oppo leader. He did a fair job in that role last time. Who knows. Dutton is finished and first against the wall so he will be consigned to being just a sad part of history and poor home affairs minister.

Is it time to take up that job offer in Asia for 3 years?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Dutton is Abbott's pawn in all this. ScoMo is a good result. Abbott's sister as member for Wentworth (assuming) will do no favours for Abbott. Lurch has more charisma and life than Dutton. As my local member I sent Dutton an email outlining my take on his fuckwittery.

Unfortunately (IMO) Shorten will win in a landslide and ScoMo will be seen as the cause. This may bring uncle Tony back from the abyss as Oppo leader. He did a fair job in that role last time. Who knows. Dutton is finished and first against the wall so he will be consigned to being just a sad part of history and poor home affairs minister.

Is it time to take up that job offer in Asia for 3 years?
Magic 8-ball says yes.**

**results may vary

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What a shit show! Fair well Malcolm. You were as disappointing as PM as a well hung man that suffers premature ejaculations and impotence that doesn't like to cuddle. Fuck k you Dutton you like like a flaccid penis inside and I'll fitting condom and your ideals belong in the dark ages. The other 2 look like they've never smiled in their life and wouldn't know what to do if they did. Abbott...well he is the kind of shit stain that a real estate agent wouldn't shake hands with.

We are in trouble.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No fan of ScoMop but he's better than Sith Lord Dutton.

Abbott and his his gang of zombies will continue to undermine, damaging the Libs' chances at the next election so they can then, again challenge for the leadership in opposition.

Bill Shorten is a turkey but I don't think he'll be stupid enough to believe that he won on his own rights, as Abbott did. If Shorten gets in I can see him lasting for more than one term, everything else being equal.

Still think it was a massive mistake for Bishop to run. Whilst I'd have prefered her over all other contenders I couldn't see her getting up and I think she was a relatively effective Foreign Minster.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Bill Shorten is a turkey but I don't think he'll be stupid enough to believe that he won on his own rights, as Abbott did. If Shorten gets in I can see him lasting for more than one term, everything else being equal.
It helps that the most popular and viable plan B for the Labor party is Albanese, who has created a bit of space for his own message without creating a big distraction.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No fan of ScoMop but he's better than Sith Lord Dutton.

Still think it was a massive mistake for Bishop to run. Whilst I'd have prefered her over all other contenders I couldn't see her getting up and I think she was a relatively effective Foreign Minster.
Listening to Chris Ulman’s commentary he said the whole 43 signatures, dutton legal advice, quitting/bi-election etc was a stalling ploy to buy enough time for the moderates to get organised. Julia running was about diluting Dutton’s numbers and the legal stuff was about creating enough doubt to swing votes.
If it’s true Turnbull’s group did very well to outwit the rightwingers even though they had to sacrifice themselves..

The whole situation is ridiculous, the righty’s only just had enough votes for a spill, they misread the party and end up with another moderate leader.. They blew the gov up for nothing and have destroyed the confidence of the voters.. If Abbott wanted to burn the whole liberal church down and start again in his “light” he failed..

Beej1

If Shorten gets in I can see him lasting for more than one term, everything else being equal.
I don't know a heap about the guy other than what I read/watch, and the words of a few folk who work in the capital and know some of his former & current staff.

I get the impression his career is kind following the trajectory he envisaged and worked towards (or plotted) from a fair way back, and that vision includes leading this country.

The office lunch room talk in front of the TV at the tail end of the vote and as leaders emerged included lots of "Man ... Shorten is so dull and boring." I kinda agree, but at the same time don't care. Their ability to get shit done is what I'll judge a political leader by.

Beej1

Spill motion wasn’t a 45-40 FOR Dutton. It’s a 45-40 for NOT Mal.
When you consider the spill 3 days prior was 48 to Turnbull, then 14 or so ministers resigned, and he still ended up with 40 saying they didn't want another spill .... it's fair to say the whole thing was a complete clusterfuck.

slowmick

38-39"
Having the support of just 53% of you party can't be the greatest place to start building anything...

Beginning to feel like we live in the dark ages and hoping that the next heir to the thrown is less of an inbred nutter than the current one...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Warren Ensch made a fairly valid point:
"There hasn't been a prime minister since [Brandan Nelson] that has not come in without knifing their predecessor..."​
That's not exactly true. Backward knob though he is, Abbott was PM by "proper" means, having held the Lib top spot since the Howard government was voted out, and Howard himself lost his seat.

As long as Abbott's in da house the shit will continue. The only way to stop it is for the people of his electorate to vote him out at the next election.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That’s the truth of it Duck - as long as that venomous prick is there everyone else has a target on their back, even the conservative right.

Being PM should be the last job anyone has in parliament; once you lose that job you should quit politics - leave gracefully. It would stop the revenge killing and allow new blood to enter the house. Has Abbot actually provided any constructive contribution since he went to the backbench?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Abbott & his cronies aren't conservative, they're beyond that to the point of being regressive. And in regard to the last question, I believe "no" is the response you're after.

*Useless Trivia* Howard I believe is only the second Australian sitting PM to have lost his seat in an election, although his party also lost government. There was another, Stanley Bruce I think, back in the '30s who was voted out of his seat, but in that instance I believe the party retained government, so had to install a new PM.