The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

nathanm

Eats Squid
both parties are all retards tbh.
no, no they're not. The retards, not that we use that word anymore, would be people who don't care to educate themselves in matters that impact themselves and the greater community.

Wanna know why everything is so damn expensive, people are homeless and without jobs, that's a direct result of politics and the Liberal party in particular and the rich get richer, poor people can just die ethos.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
no, no they're not. The retards, not that we use that word anymore, would be people who don't care to educate themselves in matters that impact themselves and the greater community.

Wanna know why everything is so damn expensive, people are homeless and without jobs, that's a direct result of politics and the Liberal party in particular and the rich get richer, poor people can just die ethos.
Thats a little too broad a stroke. While there are definately political factors that have not helped adress those issues in a meaningful way, much of this is driven over a much broader global scale which would continue to cause various issues that neither party would be able to adress adequately. Example being runaway inflation causing cost of living challenges. This is a global phenomenon that neither party can flick a switch on to reverse quickly.

Edit-
To put that into a little more perspective, Russia and Ukraine account for a significant part of the worlds grain. Russia has been sanctioned. This means many nations cant deal with Russia (including us) to buy their grain and Ukraine sort of cant really focus on exporting commodities during a war ( I think there's been some movement in this of late though). Why does grain matter? Well most of your meat is fed with grain. Cant get grain, farmers have to pay more for what they can get and they cant farm as many animals because there less grain to go around globally. Both those factors cause meat prices to increase. That's just meat. Grain is used in other products, bread, pasta, flours, a number of other staples the world over etc. What can the libs or labor do about that right now?

Russia is also a major Oil producer and exporter and there is a direct correlation (among other correlations) to the cost of petrol as a result of sanctions against Russia. People bitch about this. But the alternative is getting cheaper petrol for the trade off of continuing to support russias atrocities.

This is generally why i take a very strong position and call BS on people saying stuff like "oh I'd gladly pay more to make sure xyz gets blah blah blah" because many of those same people still complain about high priced meat and high priced petrol when the alternative is supporting war criminals ;)

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This is a good example of why everything if fucked, ignore the hyperbole title it's well researched and executed. As @Squidfayce said we are global now and the reality is we are starting to see the outcomes of the broad adoption of Chicago school economic theory.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
What can the libs or labor do about that right now?
The globalised world being run by neo-liberal governments and corporations means they can't do a lot about how much things cost. They could do something about the homeless/under-housed/under-employed and put in some measures to ease inflationary pressures on people who are genuinely suffering, maybe if they don't give the wealthy a huge tax cut.

Part of it is we're all used to the cheap things that come with globalisation and nobody wants to go back to paying more. Us rich blokes here whinging about the price of bikes, or petrol, for example.

Australia does have plenty of grain, maybe it's more expensive than the overseas stuff, or we send it all overseas for more money? Wouldn't surprise me.

@Litenbror thanks for sharing the video, it popped up on the socials a few days ago and didn't get a chance to watch it then.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The globalised world being run by neo-liberal governments and corporations means they can't do a lot about how much things cost. They could do something about the homeless/under-housed/under-employed and put in some measures to ease inflationary pressures on people who are genuinely suffering, maybe if they don't give the wealthy a huge tax cut.

Part of it is we're all used to the cheap things that come with globalisation and nobody wants to go back to paying more. Us rich blokes here whinging about the price of bikes, or petrol, for example.

Australia does have plenty of grain, maybe it's more expensive than the overseas stuff, or we send it all overseas for more money? Wouldn't surprise me.

@Litenbror thanks for sharing the video, it popped up on the socials a few days ago and didn't get a chance to watch it then.
my example covered one things because that one thing was lumped into a rant that grouped all this stuff together as if it was all the same. Its not. Homeless yes, sure. Cost of living no. Though cost of living pressures also impact the cost of doing anything for the homeless. Makes it harder/more expensive right? There's no magic bullet and the money's got to come from somewhere.

Sure we have heaps of grain, but I'm fairly certain even if we directed it all internally it wouldn't be enough and some other unintended consequence of doing so would result. Don't assume its ever as simple that to fix X just do Y (sometimes it is, mostly its not). If these things were that simple, theyd be done.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

His show got cancelled when the channel was bought by Disney, wasn't the kind of content they promoted. I hope is doing alright on his own now the level of research that went into the show and his delivery was superb.

We are one of the largest grain exporters in the world. Our grain is considered the best and is sold at a premium due to its properties, apparently it makes the best noodles.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
We are one of the largest grain exporters in the world. Our grain is considered the best and is sold at a premium due to its properties, apparently it makes the best noodles.
we do about 10-15% i think. Its a lot, but IIRC Russia did a third of the entire worlds grain, and Ukraine was second (again IIRC, ukraine may have been third CBF looking it up). Thats a significant global impact.

I think China is the biggest from memory too so if shit goes south with them, were all going to be looking at vegetarian lifestyles lol.

oh i forgot, grains also get used for ethanol production.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
we do about 10-15% i think. Its a lot, but IIRC Russia did a third of the entire worlds grain, and Ukraine was second (again IIRC, ukraine may have been third CBF looking it up). Thats a significant global impact.

I think China is the biggest from memory too so if shit goes south with them, were all going to be looking at vegetarian lifestyles lol.

oh i forgot, grains also get used for ethanol production.
Quick check to refresh my memory and we are third for wheat with Russia first and USA second, this is just wheat though. The biggest concern is cost for developing countries, usually they took lower quality European grain and Aus grain went to the premium market but with the loss of Ukraine and Russia the price has skyrocketed.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
There's also the bit about Russia being one of the world's largest oil and gas producers, which given all the deserved embargoes on Russian production is impacting.... essentially everything by a fuckload. Add in Saudi Arabia capping their oil production last week and the problem gets exponentially worse.

Heard an announcer on English radio station LBC state that seven out of ten pubs are not expected to survive the coming winter owing to energy prices..

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Quick check to refresh my memory and we are third for wheat with Russia first and USA second, this is just wheat though. The biggest concern is cost for developing countries, usually they took lower quality European grain and Aus grain went to the premium market but with the loss of Ukraine and Russia the price has skyrocketed.
wheat is but one of many grains. Corn, barley, shorgum, pretty sure soy comes under grains etc, Grain in aggregate is the important metric.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
There's also the bit about Russia being one of the world's largest oil and gas producers, which given all the deserved embargoes on Russian production is impacting.... essentially everything by a fuckload. Add in Saudi Arabia capping their oil production last week and the problem gets exponentially worse.

Heard an announcer on English radio station LBC state that seven out of ten pubs are not expected to survive the coming winter owing to energy prices..
yeah i pointed out the oil scenario in an earlier edit