The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I think the immigration bonanza isn't playing well. I get why they're doing it given we're an economy that's masked GDP growth with importing more people for years and the one off surge is to make up for the population deficit during COVID, but to the average person who doesn't have time to read analysis of policy it's never going to pass the pub test when cost of living pressures are crazy and there are no houses.
The whole system relying on constant growth is a ponzi scheme that can only fail. It is not a matter of if, but when.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
You then have lot's of people like my Mum, she spent her last dozen years living alone in a 4 bedroom house with a large garden that was nothing more than a pain because she couldn't look after it herself.
Even if people do want to move - selling and buying houses is expensive. Stamp duty, agents fees - it’s a massive disincentive to the mobility of labour and for people to downsize in later life.

Land tax instead of stamp duty is on the way right? Or already implemented? IDK, whatever. Just make it easy for people to move house as well as building houses and increasing density.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll throw this in as well.
I've bought bit of land to do the seachange thing. The town I've bought in a has a shocking shortage of workers. Houses that were once rented out to families now make the owners as much money on the Airbnb holiday market as they did on the rental housing market but when it's on airbnb they get to use it a bit through the year.
We were up around Cairns/Port Douglas last year and this is absolutely killing them up there. Lack of backpackers wanting seasonal work, plus the fact that all the properties were Airbnb or hideously expensive to rent, meant that there's a shortage of hospo workers to make everything run 'cos they can't afford to live there

Flow-Rider

Burner
The last census fell during lockdown, which may make that a little more accurate than usual. I had not been on a census as an adult prior, my house was always empty on "census night".

The shortage may be on areas of high competition for accommodation.

Around here there is a lot of empty apartments along the waterfront. A few friends of mine that live in there propose that their neighbours are generally older and wealthy people spending most of their spare time on vacation, mostly overseas or cruise.
Are you going to open up the poodle abode to strangers?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Strangers are always welcome! As long as they understand that I need to get up early for work, so they either have to leave about 530am when I get up or not sleep over. Either is fine for me.
Can I stay inside after you go to work if I promise not to pee on the floor?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can I stay inside after you go to work if I promise not to pee on the floor?
Sorry there is no way in or out without a key and I only have one key which I am taking with me to work. So you'll have to go.

Also peeing happens before bed time. There is a mat...

I once let a person stay after I went to work. She bathed my dogs, cleaned the kitchen (very thoroughly), vacuumed, tidied up the book case, and stayed for about a week. Then she disappeared.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
So this was the payment for AUKUS sub deal. Was wondering when we would find out what he got for signing us up to that.
Wow look at that, someone actually benefits from that deal.

Get ready for another by-election! Wonder if the Liberals can lose this one too, will be fun watching Dutton squirm if / when they do.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
I think politicians should be forced to give up their generous pensions if they take on paid roles after their time in parliament. So many conflicts on interest when they are in Key roles connected back to government friends and frenemies
Exactly!
At the next election after their "retirement", have their constituents vote on their effectiveness - this "approval rating" then decides their pension
20% approval rating:20% of the pension

LPG

likes thicc birds
Exactly!
At the next election after their "retirement", have their constituents vote on their effectiveness - this "approval rating" then decides their pension
20% approval rating:20% of the pension
Can we have negative and have them pay back for the damage they have done through negligent mismanagement? Obviously too hopeful considering how corruption is currently dealt with.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah it ould seem a pretty clear cut "you fucked us to feather your own nest!!!" Scenario. Of course if he was involved in legal proceedings as a result of what could be seen as corrupt actions he wouldn't be able to leave. If only there was an independent body for reviewing such things...