The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yes, yes you are.

More importantly, was she a minister?o_O
She was the Environment Minister. That job now belongs to Susanne Ley. But the responsibility for hot air and other emissions goes to the Energy Minister, Angus Taylor. Haakon will be pleased to have that weight off his mind #notreally

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
First us, then India and now the EU taking another hard right turn... This is the way its gone in recent centuries in the lead up to major conflicts.

It’s not looking good for humanity these days.

Binaural

Eats Squid
First us, then India and now the EU taking another hard right turn... This is the way its gone in recent centuries in the lead up to major conflicts.

Eh? Early indications looking like the opposite, populists significantly underperforming. My German wife was telling me that the Greens are now the second-biggest party at the EU level. They are more centrist than the Australian version, to be sure. So not really a hard right turn as far as I can see.

Haakon

Eh? Early indications looking like the opposite, populists significantly underperforming. My German wife was telling me that the Greens are now the second-biggest party at the EU level. They are more centrist than the Australian version, to be sure. So not really a hard right turn as far as I can see.
It’s sorta both from what I can tell. Centrist parties are the main losers. Marine le Pen is doing well in france...

Germany is not all roses. Antisematic attacks are on the up and there’s a something of a movement to “reclaim” their nationalist tendencies. Had some super uncomfortable conversations with 20 somethings in Berlin last time I was there ...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That's how I broadly understood it too @Haakon. I thought Antisemitism was prejudice toward Jews by definition; you're referring to anti-Islamic sentiment in the German context?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's how I broadly understood it too @Haakon. I thought Antisemitism was prejudice toward Jews by definition; you're referring to anti-Islamic sentiment in the German context?
Semites/Sometimes people are not exclusively Jewish. It's about language roots (I had to look that bit up, I thought it was about descending geographically from the middle east) rather than religion. There are plenty of Muslims that are not of Semitic ancestory.

Nationalism seems to be on the rise in a lot of places, coupled with a fear of multiculturalism and sharing.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

India re-elected the BJP. The Hindu Nationalists have been there for a while already.

Haakon

Nope, good old fashioned antisematism against Jews, with a rise in directed violence.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nope, good old fashioned antisematism against Jews, with a rise in directed violence.
You’re quite right it seems, the Jews are copping it from both home grown fascists as well as the imported Muslim extremists.

Not that I’m favouring the NY Times but this 2017 write up on Gotz Kubitschek is revealing. Immigration seems to have given rise to nationalist movements across Europe (and elsewhere) who fear cultural dilution.

Thanks for highlighting this - I didn’t realise the extent of these new right movements.