The election thread - Will the new PM last a full term - who will you futilely vote for?

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Nationals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greens

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Independant

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • The Reason Party

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

• Donkey/Invalid vote

• Total voters

silentbutdeadly

Eats Squid
I seem to recall a certain move to Armidale that didn't go well.

The ATO has a facility in Gosford NSW that has taken ages to get up.

This particular peanut is seeming to suggest moving the policy wonks away from their relevant ministers. I'm curious how this might work out both politically and practically. Especially since the department heads will have to be in Canberra...and their staff will be 'elsewhere'.

Halo1

Likes Dirt
I seem to recall a certain move to Armidale that didn't go well.

The ATO has a facility in Gosford NSW that has taken ages to get up.

This particular peanut is seeming to suggest moving the policy wonks away from their relevant ministers. I'm curious how this might work out both politically and practically. Especially since the department heads will have to be in Canberra...and their staff will be 'elsewhere'.
The ATO commissioner is based in Sydney so there are some changes happening to the old Canberra Centric way for department heads.

Our department has all the technology not to travel but people still want to cash their travel entitlements and avoid their families.

I do miss our work trips to Stromlo, sorry Canberra :p

I would have thought John Loyd would be the last person you would listen to on the direction of the PS given his exit from the PS.

Haakon

Not happy, Jan.
I would have thought John Loyd would be the last person you would listen to on the direction of the PS given his exit from the PS.
You and I wouldn’t listen to him, but there are plenty in positions of authority that do...

Last edited by a moderator:

pink poodle

Clinically Inane
Decentralisation isn't a bad thing. I always noticed a different workforce culture among the Canberra counterparts I dealt with. The age old department hopping ladder climbers were a particular issue, aggression + promoted beyond competency rarely makes a good el2 (certainly not all of them, but enough to notice the issue).

Haakon

Not happy, Jan.
decentralising doesnt really fix that, and im as big a canberra hater as the next guy. It just costs a shit tonne for worse services.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/afp-raid-home-of-news-corp-journalist-over-national-security-reporting-20190604-p51ub0.html

This government has a history of introducing stupid, repressive laws then freaking out when the pushback comes. Raiding journalists to try and turn over their sources who release unflattering information should never happen, even to a News Corp flack.
This is scary.

But then, it is cute they chose to send in the stormtroopers on the anniversary of Tiananmen

scblack

Leucocholic
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/afp-raid-home-of-news-corp-journalist-over-national-security-reporting-20190604-p51ub0.html

This government has a history of introducing stupid, repressive laws then freaking out when the pushback comes. Raiding journalists to try and turn over their sources who release unflattering information should never happen, even to a News Corp flack.
The Federal Police made the raid.

NOT the government.

Take the tin foil hats off people.

pink poodle

Clinically Inane
decentralising doesnt really fix that, and im as big a canberra hater as the next guy. It just costs a shit tonne for worse services.
It breaks it up though. Canberra doesn't grow with premium candidates at the same rate that public service grows, resulting in having to settle for candidates available in Canberra only. Geography shouldn't be the topmost factor.

Dales Cannon

Adminerotic
Staff member
It breaks it up though. Canberra doesn't grow with premium candidates at the same rate that public service grows, resulting in having to settle for candidates available in Canberra only. Geography shouldn't be the topmost factor.
Cream rises to the top. NT baby!

Haakon

Not happy, Jan.
Annoyingly I totally agree. The problem is I think when you keep any of it in Canberra.

Canberra was a dumb idea. It’s a shit town in the middle of fucking nowhere and self selects for people who can’t get a job anywhere else or are dumb enough to suck it up because they “want to make a difference”. Or just live here because its where they’re from and it may as well be Wagga or Geelong...

But. It’s a bit late now and this is where the government is. Move the whole fucking thing to Melbourne and be done with it. And access the better peeps and generally have a much much much better public service. But pork barrel regional shitholes even worse than fucking Canberra and you just spend more for less.

Haakon

Not happy, Jan.
I think the environment matters too. Canberra is architecturally abhorrent and has no soul or history. It’s hard to take it seriously as a national capital and it effects the atmosphere in which the people who “run” the country operate.

Being in Melbourne shouldn’t really make it better and the Canberra bubble shouldn’t be a thing - but it would and it is...