The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
YEah because the issue of black folk in the US and Australia are totally the same.

Get a grip, mate.
Are you fucking kidding me?

Several previous posters have given a very good explanation as to why using the word 'abo' is highly offensive. As is the word 'nigger'.

And yet you can't see the similarity.

This is such basic stuff that I am genuinely embarrassed to need to explain it to an adult.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How often have you been genuinely attacked on racial grounds? How often to people use 'aussie' as a tag to ridicule or degrade you solely on your race?
I've lived in Asian countries for a long time. So yeah, we can talk about being attacked on racial grounds if you want.

Again, my point is that it's largely been used without value based judgement simply as the way Aussie is used. However the negative connotations that have been attached to the word by idiots has taken precedent over any other usage. Hence, it's politically correct not to use the term anymore. If that's the way it is then sure, I can live with that as it's a small thing to do for issues to move in the right direction. But the shock and horror here is hilarious and to not understand what political correctness is makes me laugh.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes, I have used the term with an abo. In personal conversation. THEY are not offended.

And an abo has used the term HIMSELF. Again in personal conversation with me.

The creation of "offense" due to your personal sensibilities around politically correct terminology does not mean this abbreviation offends aboriginals. Just you.
Well next time I'm in Sydney we'll do lunch together in redfern and test out your theory....I promise my grandmother and her sisters would be offended if you refered to them as abos.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm not really sure with the problem there either.

What's wrong with shortening the word Aborigine to Abo the same way we shorten Australian to Aussie?

Why is that wrong?
I couldn't comment on whether or not 'abo' is offensive- I'm not aboriginal for a start- but I can tell you that if you tried the 'abbreviating isn't offensive' rule in any Pakistani community in the UK, I wouldn't fancy your chances of walking out in one piece.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Are you fucking kidding me?

Several previous posters have given a very good explanation as to why using the word 'abo' is highly offensive. As is the word 'nigger'.

And yet you can't see the similarity.
Dude, really. Nigger is a word attached to slavery, there is a very clear and obvious historical reasons why it's unacceptable.

You really think the term abo and the history is the same? Again, get a fucking grip.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I don't think SC meant to use the word as a perjorative. And I doubt very much that Johnny has ever used it except in a descriptive sense. But I also think that both SC and Johnny could with a little reflection recognise that the word has been used in a negative sense, and recognise that there are other alternatives to the word. So why not use them? Why risk giving offense when you don't need to?

Is this politically correct? Absolutely, and why is it a bad thing?

al_

Likes Dirt
Yes, I have used the term with an abo. In personal conversation. THEY are not offended.

And an abo has used the term HIMSELF. Again in personal conversation with me.

The creation of "offense" due to your personal sensibilities around politically correct terminology does not mean this abbreviation offends aboriginals. Just you.
Generalising the perspective of all aboriginal people as 'they' based on one conversation with an indigenous man is also not wise.

I really suggest you don't refer to aboriginal people that way. It exposes you even before you start releasing your idiotic opinions.

al_

Likes Dirt
Dude, really. Nigger is a word attached to slavery, there is a very clear and obvious historical reasons why it's unacceptable.

You really think the term abo and the history is the same? Again, get a fucking grip.
Yeah. It is.

The offense comes from 225 years of persecution and discrimination inflicted soley on racial grounds. This has one of the prominent labels used by those committing the crimes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't think SC meant to use the word as a perjorative. And I doubt very much that Johnny has ever used it except in a descriptive sense. But I also think that both SC and Johnny could with a little reflection recognise that the word has been used in a negative sense, and recognise that there are other alternatives to the word. So why not use them? Why risk giving offense when you don't need to?

Is this politically correct? Absolutely, and why is it a bad thing?
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I wasn't aware that the negative connotations of the word had eclipsed any other use of it. If it has, then so be it, I don't have a problem with that. But to act like it's not a political correctness but an objective reality that everyone should be inherently aware of is fucking stupid.

Also, political correctness definitely has its right place in the world. Understanding and acting accordingly to very reasonable sensitivities is a good thing.

al_

Likes Dirt
Yeah, ok, you're an idiot.
Talk to an aboriginal person who has been told they are 'just' an 'abo' when their family was slaughted as part of the colonising genocide, or had their children taken as part of forced adoption practices, or refused the vote until 1967.

You make out to be so wise and open-minded, but can't see the painfully obvious. White, middle-class guys don't get to decide what is offensive to indigenous people.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

So aboriginal children weren't taken from their families and put into the custody of white people and used as slaves? I can show you some great family photos of the all white family on one side of the great great grandfather and the mixed family on the other side. The guy was prolific! Something like 20 kids. Half of whom he wouldn't have had without the help of his servants.

You are correct though, there is a huge difference to the slave industry of the ye olde USA. So we agree stuff sometimes.

scblack

Leucocholic
I really suggest you don't refer to aboriginal people that way.
You can suggest anything you f*cking well like. It does not mean I will take any notice.

At least I am very happy to disagree with you. If I agreed with you in any way, I would seriously question my values, sanity and would be offending myself.

Bloody hell, haven't we stirred up a hornet's nest here over politically correct terminology? And in jumps several people feeling the DEEP need to take offense on others behalf.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
White, middle-class guys don't get to decide what is offensive to indigenous people.
Again, you're an idiot.

I've clearly said that if it is offensive, I've missed it and am happy to go along with it if it helps.

But you keep on with your sensationalist straw man arguments. You're like an ultra-liberal version of A Current Affair or Andrew Bolt.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, time for a change of topic or even better close the thread.
Why would Australian workers tolerate the imposition of a royal commission into unions and not e left a similar treatment of the corporate world? It seems to me that a similar style of corruption, stand over, and generally unpleasant practices exist in both arenas...

al_

Likes Dirt
You can suggest anything you f*cking well like. It does not mean I will take any notice.

At least I am very happy to disagree with you. If I agreed with you in any way, I would seriously question my values, sanity and would be offending myself.

Bloody hell, haven't we stirred up a hornet's nest here over politically correct terminology? And in jumps several people feeling the DEEP need to take offense on others behalf.
I represent 8 aboriginal controlled children's welfare organisations and 120 others that aren't aboriginal-controlled, but cater for a massively over-represented indigenous population.

The harm inflicted on Australia's aboriginal population since colonisation is horrific, sickening and massively misunderstood.

Your kind of casual racism makes me absolutely furious. It is totally unnecessary and you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
So one of the very very few sensible things I have Clive Palmer utter, is a desire to update our manual voting system.

It is so open to rorting and mistakes it is just laughable. Bring on a electronic system I say. Minimise the influence of party scrutineers, near instantaneous results, much harder to rort.

May be a touch expensive though.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So aboriginal children weren't taken from their families and put into the custody of white people and used as slaves? I can show you some great family photos of the all white family on one side of the great great grandfather and the mixed family on the other side. The guy was prolific! Something like 20 kids. Half of whom he wouldn't have had without the help of his servants.

You are correct though, there is a huge difference to the slave industry of the ye olde USA. So we agree stuff sometimes.
My point was more so based on the terminology of Nigger, how that word came about and the word Abo and how that came about. One was a term intrinsically linked to a massive slave trade that came from people kidnapped and transported etc. etc. There was a whole civil war with slavery being a key element, FFS. The negativity of that word is as clear as day and has been for a long time.

Yes, indig Aussies have experienced similar circumstances including removed children, massacre, dispossession, etc. For others here to act like I'm ignorant of that is pathetic but suits their precious outrage. The point is that Abo doesn't have a clear and obvious link to their experience. The simple and easy proof of that is that I use term without any value judgement attached to it like I used the term Aussie, Brit and until now, Paki. That was my point that the situation in the US and Australia and the words are completely different.

Anyway, we all know where we all stand and that we are different people who view the world differently. For the record I reckon al_ is very likely to be a top bloke IRL and I 100% respect and appreciate where his heart is in pretty much every matter that I've seen him discuss on this site. He's still and idiot though!! :)>

We won't be closing this thread because of a little heatedness, or as they say on the hill, "robust debate".

But we should move on after everyone gets one last word in on the subject.