The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A little off topic, I overheard some people talking Brexit this morning. They were pondering if the exit had of came before the Scottish indepence vote, would it have changed the outcome. Then I wondered too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No, because even with a very strong "stay in the EU" vote from Scotland, England still voted to leave.
I'm not sure that was my question or I don't comprehend the amswer, so I will rephrase. If Britain voted to exit the EU before the Scottish vote for independence occurred, would Scottland have been more likely to vote for independence from Britain? In essence I guess would Scottland have preferred membership to the EU over the commonwealth?

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm not sure that was my question or I don't comprehend the amswer, so I will rephrase. If Britain voted to exit the EU before the Scottish vote for independence occurred, would Scottland have been more likely to vote for independence from Britain? In essence I guess would Scottland have preferred membership to the EU over the commonwealth?
I have no doubt they would have chosen the EU over the UK.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have no doubt they would have chosen the EU over the UK.
I was surprised the independence vote didn't get up. I have no solid basis for that position, just their history of fighting for freedom.

Bad pun I know, but that movie...so factual and inspiring! How could they let Mel Wallace down???

Ivan

Eats Squid
I was surprised the independence vote didn't get up. I have no solid basis for that position, just their history of fighting for freedom.

Bad pun I know, but that movie...so factual and inspiring! How could they let Mel Wallace down???
Yep, me too.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Firstly trickle down ... Speaking from first hand experience ... Yes I believe in trickle down, I live trickle down ..

On a small business scale, I think "trickle down" as a theory has merit, but on an economy wide scale I think there is enough evidence over the last 20 ish years now to show it just isn't working.

That's why I'd be more in favour of something like a tax-free threshold for business rather than a straight cut to the corporate tax rate. This would disproportionately benefit smaller businesses, which I think is a good thing. That being said, all the small businessmen I know use business tax deductions to benefit their personal expenses, so I'd be surprised if there are many companies paying the full 30%.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On a small business scale, I think "trickle down" as a theory has merit, but on an economy wide scale I think there is enough evidence over the last 20 ish years now to show it just isn't working.

That's why I'd be more in favour of something like a tax-free threshold for business rather than a straight cut to the corporate tax rate. This would disproportionately benefit smaller businesses, which I think is a good thing. That being said, all the small businessmen I know use business tax deductions to benefit their personal expenses, so I'd be surprised if there are many companies paying the full 30%.
Sole traders already have access to the same tax free threshold as any other individual, but (as you have touched on) they have a greater access to deductions. Some of which are exploited or abused. In some scenarios partnerships have a similar access. And these 2 trading set ups make up a significant % of small business. So the issue for small business is probably outside of taxation and more around incentives and support.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Suspect my actual vote wont make any difference. Safe seat since before the convicts arrived. Still the more that 'protest vote' against the reigning party the more likely our local area to be heard on the federal scene.

floody

Wheel size expert
surely everyone can taste the ironing in the latest labor ads ?
Haven't seen them, what's the gist?

I can see a lot of irony in both sides in this campaign.

I have a hard time believing that the man behind the Cleanevent scandal will really stand up for penalty rates, I have a hard time believing someone who stood next to John Howard and praised his forestry policy will stand up for the environment, and I have a hard time believing a party that places SDAEA backed conservative right-faction members at the top of its senate ticket and shunts social progressives will truly come good on marriage equality. I have trouble with their economic credentials when they write up a tax as a saving and continue a rebate for a defunct carbon price.

However I cannot conscience the Liberals gaining any more power while the hard right faction operates cabinet from behind like it is a sock puppet. I cannot put any faith in their overt spending on fripperies like fighter jets that can't fly in the rain and new submarines (which will probably have screen doors, on their F35 form), the way they preach responsibility and cry deficit while increasing it by about a billion more per week, preach jobs and growth while screaming for a growth slowing surplus and generally believe in outdated models of economics.

The Greens are some way from maturity with hypocrites like McKim onboard sadly.

The minor parties I am sure mostly exist for a margin game.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well........that's that for another 3 years. My dick 'n' balls took a good 11 seconds. I was in and out in under 6 minutes!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well........that's that for another 3 years. My dick 'n' balls took a good 11 seconds. I was in and out in under 6 minutes!
She must be very happy...

I voted early too. The new system was quite easy to use, or I have screwed up. The senate paper makes an excellent aeroplane. I wanted to attempt a gravy train, but couldn't figure it out.

Marx

Likes Dirt
I heard that you can use your own pencils, so I might take my kids pencil case into the cardboard urinal with me.

What's the funniest thing I can write on the cubicle?

Undecided if my ballot dick/balls should be in profile or aerial.