The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

scblack

Leucocholic
If the harassment claims stick he'll be the next Dastyari
Why?

He has not blatantly lied about what he has done, as Dastyari did.

He has not shown himself to be spouting policy counter to his party's policy, as Dastyari did.

He has not alerted foreign agents to potential security arrangements, as Dastyari did.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Why?

He has not blatantly lied about what he has done, as Dastyari did.

He has not shown himself to be spouting policy counter to his party's policy, as Dastyari did.

He has not alerted foreign agents to potential security arrangements, as Dastyari did.
I'm not commenting on the list of sins. Like Dastyari he was a cabinet minister (ok, deputy PM) who is now a backbencher, and if more stuff comes out I suspect he'll pull the pin entirely.

stirk

Burner
He's not gone for good, he plans on coming back, you can tell by the way he didn't admit any wrong doing and spoke on the best for the party and his constituents. He'll be back.
He still holds onto his seat so he's not really gone very far, just lost a portfolio and party leadership, nothing major!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
He still holds onto his seat so he's not really gone very far, just lost a portfolio and party leadership, nothing major!
Might lose the seat at the next election, though. IF he doesn't you can be guaranteed that he'll be fighting his way back.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm not commenting on the list of sins. Like Dastyari he was a cabinet minister (ok, deputy PM) who is now a backbencher, and if more stuff comes out I suspect he'll pull the pin entirely.
You can suspect anything you like.

Comparing his situation to Dastyari is spurious at best.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ they have both had a significant fall from grace at a similar time. Though for very different reasons.

Could this wank stain just roll on already? It has been quite a year for him.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There are a bunch of FOIs in on his spending and other issues, and then there is this harassment claim. His trial is not over yet.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Comparing his situation to Dastyari is spurious at best.
Or worse:
http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-windo...gall-to-lecture-barnaby-joyce-20180213-h0w021

Could this wank stain just roll on already? It has been quite a year for him.
A good question:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...eation-barnaby-joyces-self-pity-was-repulsive

If applied more universally, lets hope so. Morality aside (but not the hypocrisy), boils down to politicians behaving badly, again and yet again.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...t-rages-and-joyce-rails-we-are-all-diminished

Last edited:

wilso1

Likes Bikes
I think the second Guardian article that redbruce has linked is a good summary of the vacuous sideshow that Australian politics currently is.

We had a discussion at work more than 5-8 years ago, about whether the problem in Australian politics was due to the politicians, the media, or the population. The best answer was that it was a vicious circle: the population doesn't want to listen to a politician for more than 5secs, so the pollie limits his statements to a snappy 5sec sound-bite, and the media packages up what the pollies delivered and what it thinks the population wants. Hence, we get the mess we've currently got - personality politics with no policy.

How long will it take to fix? Unfortunately it's probably a generational thing:
- to get a new crop of politicians who want to focus on policy, not politics and point-scoring
- a population interested in the greater good than what's-in-it-for-me; and
- 20years for the media to catch up.

Depressing when you think about it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How long will it take to fix? Unfortunately it's probably a generational thing:
- to get a new crop of politicians who want to focus on policy, not politics and point-scoring
- a population interested in the greater good than what's-in-it-for-me; and
- 20years for the media to catch up.

Depressing when you think about it.
You have a much more optimistic view than me. The next generation are too busy fighting for social justices and concerned with political correctedness. When they should be waging riots on the street for having their futures eroded they are instead campaigning for social issues. Youth unemployment is very high yet we persists with 457 visas. Housing and transport is in shambles but we persist with historically high migration intake. Privatization of everything in sight is costing the consumer dearly, but we continue to sell more monopoly assets.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
You have a much more optimistic view than me. The next generation are too busy fighting for social justices and concerned with political correctedness. When they should be waging riots on the street for having their futures eroded they are instead campaigning for social issues. Youth unemployment is very high yet we persists with 457 visas. Housing and transport is in shambles but we persist with historically high migration intake. Privatization of everything in sight is costing the consumer dearly, but we continue to sell more monopoly assets.
They're nice distractions, aren't they?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I bet his parents didn't complain about Australia's immigration intake when they were taken in.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
They were actually refugees who claimed asylum at the first country they arrived at. Not 457s and not picky refugees. How was the commute to work, more crowded by the day?