The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Fuck... Caught me out too :( Mine had lapsed back home in Victoria and I had to re enrol up here. Was on my weekend errand tasklist, didn’t think they’d shut it down so fast!
Yep I got in the nick of time. Not that it really matters as I'm just providing an illustration of Peter Dutton being beaten by people armed with shovels* on my lower house ballot paper.

*hell hath no fury like a disgruntled Liberal voter

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Call me crazy, but voting against them might be aore effective way of expressing your distaste...
Sage advice. Unfortunately I think all the options in the lower house are varying degrees of shite. I had hopes for the Greens, but they seem to be dealing with some fundamental structural problems, bullying and lack of disclosure. Their response to the Victorian election outcome (wahh the ALP was nasty to us) and treatment of Alex Bhathal were very troubling to me.

My grandparents would disown me if they found out I was even considering an informal vote but in our current climate I believe it's a strong and viable protest (I'll still vote below the line for the Senate). Feel free to try to convince me otherwise but the calibre of our political class has never been worse imo.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am contemplating the same. None of the lower house nominees deserve my vote. In my opinion of course. I think an essay on the paper is warranted.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Well one thing’s for certain, there will be plenty of confusion in the tally rooms, deciding which candidate on the ballot the various depictions of animals and/or genitalia actually represents. As voters we can help by indicating which donkey is the object of our derision.

It’s a race to the bottom.

clockworked

Like an orange
Sage advice. Unfortunately I think all the options in the lower house are varying degrees of shite. I had hopes for the Greens, but they seem to be dealing with some fundamental structural problems, bullying and lack of disclosure. Their response to the Victorian election outcome (wahh the ALP was nasty to us) and treatment of Alex Bhathal were very troubling to me.

My grandparents would disown me if they found out I was even considering an informal vote but in our current climate I believe it's a strong and viable protest (I'll still vote below the line for the Senate). Feel free to try to convince me otherwise but the calibre of our political class has never been worse imo.
I am contemplating the same. None of the lower house nominees deserve my vote. In my opinion of course. I think an essay on the paper is warranted.
Horseshit. Even if a vote for a candidate you don't like says very little, a wasted vote says nothing at all.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I'm far from defending any of the upper or lower house options. To me our election options are like mixing different types of shit in a blender + pouring into a fancy glass + little umbrella = a cocktail...well it's still a shit cocktail! I could be wrong on this but I think if you are dissatisfied with your party of allegiance, an informal vote doesn't really prove as protest. They'll never know what was on the ballot, there will only be a statistic that says "x number of informal votes", and they'll all continue business as usual. But if there is a trend away from them towards another party, that is something they will see.

...and yes - if voting meant anything they'd make it illegal.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Horseshit. Even if a vote for a candidate you don't like says very little, a wasted vote says nothing at all.
Not true.

Invalids are counted and considered a measure of support for the two majors and the general standard of politics.

Voting for a candidate is interpreted as support for their policies and message, regardless of how you intend it to be read.

clockworked

Like an orange
Not true.

Invalids are counted and considered a measure of support for the two majors and the general standard of politics.

Voting for a candidate is interpreted as support for their policies and message, regardless of how you intend it to be read.
Awesome. It counts as support for the two major parties? Isn't that the opposite of what these two gents are trying to achieve? Seems like a valid vote for someone else would still be a stronger message closer to the hearts of these pundits.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Not true.

That's nuts.

Awesome. It counts as support for the two major parties? Isn't that the opposite of what these two gents are trying to achieve? Seems like a valid vote for someone else would still be a stronger message closer to the hearts of these pundits.
I think he means an invalid vote is assumed to have otherwise been a vote for either of the two major parties.

Lots of dicknball votes means lots of votes the two major parties didn't get, indicating how many people feel politics at that time is generally is a load of shit.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I hate the modern political system. Mainly because each party has some policies I like, and others I think are somewhere between a brain fart and that white stuff you get in the corner of your mouth then talking angry.

It would be better if we got to vote on individual policies. Then there was a collaboration to believe those.

Anyway, eutopian daydreams apart. I will vote Liberals.

Purely because I feel one more them from them will build up the economy a bit more before a change of guard to say Labor to deliver some progressive ideas.

I wish there was a way to have a way to have the Liberals deliver Labour and some of the less extreme Greens policies. So they are not mismanaged financially.

Having said that. A reflection on the NBN suggests that would not work either.

Hmm.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think he means an invalid vote is assumed to have otherwise been a vote for either of the two major parties.

Lots of dicknball votes means lots of votes the two major parties didn't get, indicating how many people feel politics at that time is generally is a load of shit.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn’t very clear. SJP has it right. The more invalid votes means the greater dissatisfaction with the two majors and politics in general.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It would be better if we got to vote on individual policies. Then there was a collaboration to believe those.

Anyway, eutopian daydreams apart. I will vote Liberals.

Purely because I feel one more them from them will build up the economy a bit more before a change of guard to say Labor to deliver some progressive ideas.

I wish there was a way to have a way to have the Liberals deliver Labour and some of the less extreme Greens policies. So they are not mismanaged financially.

Having said that. A reflection on the NBN suggests that would not work either.

Hmm.
...and that is the kind of thinking that gave us a plebiscite to enact marriage equality. Something that should have been a no question matter of equality a long time ago. Do you really think we need to go through that kind of process for everything? Or even a small core policy grouping?

As for the economy...that better/worse argument is outdated. We need look no further than the dramatic slide that has taken place over the last couple of years under the leadership of the apparently responsible party. Both the main parties are guided by essentially the same advisors on these issues and the division tends to be about a collective vs individual value system. People who claim otherwise tend to just have trouble say "I'm selfish and want what's mine..."

Also consider that we may be facing the total annihilation of the modern way of life and might be able to turn that around by using some progressive ideas. I'm not saying either major side of Australian politics has the answer but unless you want "a sunburnt country" to be a nostalgic call back to cooler times it is perhaps good time to consider the importance of progressive environmental and social ideas rather than saving money and torturing refugees.

"...we can not eat money."

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Are the Liberals good for the economy?
No jobs on a dead planet.
More seriously though, if increase in GDP is a good measure of how the economy is doing then Labor do better than the Liberals when compared to OECD averages and the USA.
If selling assets that earn the government income is the way to balance books, then yes Liberals are better for the economy. If incresing the divide between haves and have nots is better for the economy, then yes liberals are better for the economy.

John U

MTB Precision
Are the Liberals good for the economy?
If higher tax to gdp is a measure of good economic management then the Liberals are better economic managers.
LNP governments being better economic managers is a myth perpetuated by the main stream/Murdoch owned media.