The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

John U

MTB Precision
The root cause of both major parties not being too inspiring is more than just those parties being average. Australia, the UK, and the USA, has bigger problems

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Are the Liberals good for the economy?
No, it’s complete bullshit... These fuckwits fiddle the books to make big business look good and claim “because economy”. Meanwhile, on virtually every measure that actually applies to the real world and any chance of long term economic sustainability they’re a fucking disaster...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Can we vote for some Norwegian politicians? Maybe we could nationalise some resources and spend the money on free education and health care.

John U

MTB Precision
Another quality candidate ready to receive your votes.
It is just another form of denialism. The controllers of the LNP, The Institute of Public Affairs, want to have a royal commission into these actions by the Bureau of Meteorology! This fuckhead is just following the orders handed out by The IPA.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It would be better if we got to vote on individual policies.
I'd like that too but the problem is the government has to form a complete policy position (in most cases no policy policies lol). The constraint is almost always the budget because if we got everyone to vote on individual policies the federal budget would go to infinity.

Things like SSM are easy to plebiscite because they are more or less 100% social with little financial costs, but policies like climate and refugee definately have money problems. So you could say you you want to fix climate and most people would say yes. Ask how much do you want to spend on it and where does it come from and then everyone starts pointing fingers at each other.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I'd like that too but the problem is the government has to form a complete policy position (in most cases no policy policies lol). The constraint is almost always the budget because if we got everyone to vote on individual policies the federal budget would go to infinity.

Things like SSM are easy to plebiscite because they are more or less 100% social with little financial costs, but policies like climate and refugee definately have money problems. So you could say you you want to fix climate and most people would say yes. Ask how much do you want to spend on it and where does it come from and then everyone starts pointing fingers at each other.
Agree. Implementing a system like that would be a challenge.

The key is to change the foundation of the system. At the moment the system is archaic in it's built in assumption that when someone votes for a party, they are saying they want all their policies implemented.

Case an point is then Dumbo Andrews was voted in and scraped the East West link under the line "Everyone clearly wants it scrapped because they voted for me."

People vote for the party that has the most alignment to their beliefs, but then has to suffer through the dumb stuff.

Maybe there need to be two votesib an election. One for policies and then have the parties come back with responses to how they will deliver the top votes policies. Yes sometimes voted as priorities will seem like opposing each other. But these people are paid enough to out some effort it.

Would also be great if our political system attracted smart people in general, rather than the lot we generally get.

I mean... There is no political out there currently who instills any confidence in me.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Would also be great if our political system attracted smart people in general, rather than the lot we generally get.

I mean... There is no political out there currently who instills any confidence in me.
Well you have a problem right here.

Ministers work insane hours including weekends. The pay is pretty ordinary given the hours and the level of responsibility. Your colleagues are often shitheads and you have to deal with an often hostile media on a regular basis.

Smart people see this and stick to being a well paid X. Which leaves the megalomaniacs and the righteous do gooders.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Well you have a problem right here.

Ministers work insane hours including weekends. The pay is pretty ordinary given the hours and the level of responsibility. Your colleagues are often shitheads and you have to deal with an often hostile media on a regular basis.

Smart people see this and stick to being a well paid X. Which leaves the megalomaniacs and the righteous do gooders.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Touche.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Case an point is then Dumbo Andrews was voted in and scraped the East West link under the line "Everyone clearly wants it scrapped because they voted for me.
Moving into state politics, but I don't think as many people blame Andrews for that as they do the Libs - it showed at the election. Basically signing days out from caretaker and then proceeding to lock in massive expenditure and agreeing to stupid terms while hiding a very obviouly bad cost-benefit - I'd call that treason.

At a federal level same stuff goes down. I'd like to see evidence based policy above all else. I have no faith single person decision making is appropriate in this day and age. You want a trade deal - show us the numbers and none of this confidential TPP crap. Show us the cost benefit of previous trade deals and prove to the public it works. Want business tax cuts - show us where it actually works. Gas reservation policy - whaaatt? It's funny that franking credits and negative gearing get so much scrutiny, but major public projects and trade dealswhich are worth so much more simply juts get done behind the scenes.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Case an point is then Dumbo Andrews was voted in and scraped the East West link under the line "Everyone clearly wants it scrapped because they voted for me."
Nothing dumb about Andrews, especially compared to Ballieu!! Besides, he was very upfront about tearing that up before the election and people still voted for him. That was just a spiteful cutn act by the liberals who knew they were about to lose big time and cost the taxpayers all that cash to try to score payback points. It was simply pathetic and good on Andrews for following through.

There is a simple way for determining the truth in these matters. Take whatever the Herald Sun says about it and apply the opposite.